Need Opinions on Estimate for Lift, Gear, Tires, Hood and Bumpers. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Need Opinions on Estimate for Lift, Gear, Tires, Hood and Bumpers.

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Need Opinions on Estimate for Lift, Gear, Tires, Hood and Bumpers.

So, I finally got a quote on everything I wanted. To me, it looks right about in line with what I was thinking, but I wanted to get opinions from everyone here. Also, if there's anything I should ask about, etc before having them go ahead and do the work. I live in the DC area, so labor is probably going to run higher than some areas, but let me know your thoughts on whatever. Thanks!

SaharaBlackNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Holy crap! That is going to be bad ***

You forgot the programmer to change your speedometer for the larger tires- you'll need to buy one of those, they range from $180 to $350

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

You forgot to include the cost of painting the hood. I'm assuming you don't want to leave it primer gray.

Also, if you're ordering from AEV - get the corner guards too. You're spending so much money already - what's another $300?

Also, I don't see a winch in there anywhere....

Have a look at the attached pict for a custom license plate frame for the AEV bumper. If you need a front plate, you might want to do this (more details in my blog).

You're spending a lot of money. Would be worth driving out of state to buy the stuff from a place without sales tax OR getting them to discount the cost of the goods the amount of the sales tax, so that you effectively don't pay it. I did this at Trick Trucks in Virginia when I bought some stuff there while visiting. Saved me a lot of cash.

Last edited by waterboarder; 08-11-2008 at 02:25 AM..
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Good call on the programmer. I Hadn't thought of that. I also think I'm going to need 1" spacers due to my current backspacing.

Texas, what lights are you running on your AEV bumper? I haven't liked many I've seen, they all looked too big, but the ones in the pic look really good.

And I did ask them about the painting of the hood as well as the grill on the bumper. In the original email, they said if I ordered all the AEV parts from them, shipping would be free, so thats good, save a few bucks there.
Unread 06-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
Texas, what lights are you running on your AEV bumper? I haven't liked many I've seen, they all looked too big, but the ones in the pic look really good.
Thanks. Unfortunately, I threw the box away before getting the model info off. But I think I have spotted them on PIAA's website (I know the lights are PIAAs). I believe they are these:
http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/520atp.html
I paid about $300 for the pair.

Quote:
And I did ask them about the painting of the hood as well as the grill on the bumper.
Did they give you a price? Check with JF members GE2 and Bricktop to see if the price you got is reasonable.

Quote:
In the original email, they said if I ordered all the AEV parts from them, shipping would be free, so thats good, save a few bucks there.
Double check that. I know when I checked with a local reseller, shipping was extra. I decided to order direct from AEV and paid about $430 in shipping charges for my stuff.
Unread 06-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
VegasJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

why a long arm with ATs, and a 22" rim?

The RE long arm is the worst riding street suspension i have installed.
VegasJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #7
FatBuoy

I saw your tire cost in there, but not the wheels....
Unread 06-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasJeep View Post
why a long arm with ATs, and a 22" rim?

The RE long arm is the worst riding street suspension i have installed.
I agree that 22" wheels and a long arm kit is a little weird, but I TOTALLY disagree about the RE being the "worst riding street suspension." I've seen in prior posts that you work in a shop, but I work at a dealership too and have driven a lot of lifts for extended periods of time and I think the RE kit (mine is actually a Mopar, but same difference) rides beautifully.

SaharaBlackNo1, it's gonna be a good looking rig! If you're not going to take it offroad you might rethink the long arm kit. You'll save a ton o' dough going with a short arm. The long arm isn't worth the difference in price for a street rig and you get very little of the money back when you go to sell or trade. If I'm totally off base and you're getting a second set of wheels for wheeling or something, just ignore me. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed anyways.

JK Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-build-545214/
TJ Tub Trailerhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...tj-tub-568873/
BRICKTOP2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Interesting Vegas. Why do you say it doesn't ride well, Bricktop2 has nothing but good things to say (and while he does work at a dealer, I'm too far away to ever be a potential customer). Also, ATs because while I love how MTs look most of my driving will be city and highway and I'd rather have a smoother ride and sacrifice a couple cool points for a more agressive looking tire. As for the 22s, because that's what I have already, and what I wanted to work with to do something different. Basically I'm going for the baddest pavement princess ever, that can also actually handle some trails. lol
Unread 06-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #10
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

No, it's primary duty will be city/highway. And perhaps my "noobness" has led me in the wrong direction with the long arm, but I was under the impression it had better manners than the short.

And if the difference is just the money, well part of me feels it's worth the extra dollars if I end up deciding to ditch the 22s at some point.
Unread 06-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #11
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBuoy View Post
I saw your tire cost in there, but not the wheels....
I've already got the wheels, so they're not on the estimate. I did forget to check what backspacing the RE lift requires. I'll probably need spacers.
Unread 06-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
VegasJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Interesting Vegas. Why do you say it doesn't ride well, Bricktop2 has nothing but good things to say (and while he does work at a dealer, I'm too far away to ever be a potential customer). Also, ATs because while I love how MTs look most of my driving will be city and highway and I'd rather have a smoother ride and sacrifice a couple cool points for a more agressive looking tire. As for the 22s, because that's what I have already, and what I wanted to work with to do something different. Basically I'm going for the baddest pavement princess ever, that can also actually handle some trails. lol
On older "short" arm Jeeps like the TJ the long arm suspensions road great on a lift 4" or taller.
The JK with its "medium" arms rides great up to 4-5" with a replacement arm lift. The long arm kits just do not provide a stable platform that is enjoyable on the road. It begins to wander, not straight anmd planted. A short arm kit will provide a much better ride on road up to the 4" height. The arms are more parallel to the frame versus beginning to get vertical on the TJs when lifting them. Because of this a replacement arm on a JK will ride better then they did on the TJs. I am putting a 4" FT Ultimate kit on my 4 door JK once it gets here. Their is no reason for the long arm. Especially if 50% or more of your driving is done on road. Which 98% of us probably spend 99% of our time daily driving on the road with our jeeps.
Myself and many other shop owners in the industry install and drive many different jeep JKs with many different heights and brands of lifts. David over at Northridge 4x4 (who is probably one of the biggest jeep online shops) also has a 4 door rubicon and he hsa a 4" replacement arm kit on his as well. It flexes well, and can go anywhere you want to point at it.

If you have the money, by all means if your stuck on a long arm lift for your JK get it.... we install about 2-3 a month. In my opinion it is not needed.
VegasJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #13
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Vegas, thanks for taking the time to reply and explain. My main concern is that it handle well ON the road. A rougher or slightly less capable offroad ride is ok. Clearly my main purpose with it isn't offroading as I went the 22" route on the rims. I mainly want a Jeep that will keep it's street manners (I find the JK drives really nicely on the road and don't want to sacrifice that), but be able to tackle a few trails on the weekends when the weather is as nice as it is currently.
Unread 06-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #14
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Oh and I was told that with their schedule and hours I'd need to be Jeepless about a month! Is this typical? That seems like an awful long time to me. Especially considering it's my daily driver.
Unread 06-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #15
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh and I was told that with their schedule and hours I'd need to be Jeepless about a month! Is this typical? That seems like an awful long time to me. Especially considering it's my daily driver.
If it takes them 40 hours/week * 4 weeks to do this, they must be the slowest shop in town. Given the labour they are charging, they should be able to take it in Monday morning and release it to you by COB on Friday.

On that note, that $325/hr for the R&P setup strikes me as outrageous.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.