In Need of a Diff Locker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > In Need of a Diff Locker

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
Nic
1995 YJ Wrangler 

In Need of a Diff Locker

Hello JeepForum,

I have recently purchased my first Jeep and the experience so far has been amazing. But I have recently discovered that an open differential simply will not do, as I have now encountered terrain and mud I am unable to enjoy without getting stuck or sliding down a hill. I have done a bit of research into lockers and have come up with the 'Aussie Locker' as a candidate for my YJ. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on these or if there is any other affordable option. I am currently a student and funds are limited; however I will be able to do all the labour myself. Also I'm not sure if a locker will benefit me more in the front or rear axle? Any help will be much appreciated! Cheers, Nic

1995 Jeep YJ 4L un-modified

Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
brplatz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have an Aussie front, I like it a lot.

[QUOTE=mrblaine;14089403]That's like saying you wish your boyfriend was a bit less gay.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"]MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.nmoffroad.com"][COLOR="DarkRed"]NMOffroad[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.overland-motorsports.com/"][COLOR="Gray"]Overland Motorsports[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/brplatzs-tj-opv-1240947/#post13888971"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
brplatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #3
Tongie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I also have an Aussie in the front. Works flawlessly, never hear any
noise out of it. Put your first locker in the front, and as you can
afford it, get Ford 8.8 rear end installed (with posi-lock) then add
electric locker to it as you can afford it. Do not waste a nickel on
add-ons to your stock d-35 rear end.
I know a lot of guys preach only ARB lockers, but unless you want
to spend over a thousand front and rear each , go with Auburn Ected
electric lockers on the rear for half the price. Mine has been on for
two years without fail on many wheeling trips. Locked is locked.
Tongie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I run spartan lockers (same as a aussie) in both my front and rear axles and love them. And the whole front or rear axle debate really comes down to where you wheel or the kind of wheeling you do, here in pnw wa if we have to pick most opt for the front axle. It makes crawling alot easier when your jeep is pulling you over stuff in stead of pushing!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Tdog02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I wanted the Aussie but couldn't get one because they were back ordered. I decided on the spartan cause it was basically the same, with free shipping and a new pin. I put mine up front (D30) and was surprised at how easy the install was and the improvement off road was incredible. The rear is the option if climbing extreme inclines due to the weight transfer. Depends on if your YJ is your daily driver as to using lunchbox lockers.
Unread 09-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
lpukas2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

X3 for Aussie, put a lunch box locker in it and wheel the crap out of to see which direction you want to go with the Jeep.
lpukas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I dd my yj and think it handles just fine with the lunch box lockers in both axles, I would do it again to!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
Hailchief
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had an aussie in my TJ for over 3 years (D30) and had no problems. I have now switched to D44's and have detroit lockers front and rear and by far the aussie is better behaving than the detroit. (in the front)

CHIEF
Hailchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
lpukas2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have a soft locker in the front, kind of nervous about going from a Aussie to a Detroit
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
Hailchief
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would suggest going with a Aussie in the front. I don't drive my jeep very often on the road, however if I had it to do over again I would probably pony up the cash and go for selectable lockers both front and back. I bought G2 dana 44's both front and back a few months ago with detroits in both and really like them off road but definetely know their there on the road.

Plus the aussie is about half the price of a automatic locker and 1/4 of the price of a selectable.

CHIEF
Hailchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
Nic
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like I will be going with an Aussie up front. I will wait on the rear's until I get D44. Thanks for the help!
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
stokerdog
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Lock-Right in my DD's D30. Been in there for about 70K. Swapped gears 9 months ago and it looked great so I put it back in. I have 33" tires and won't be going any bigger. For me this has been a very effective low cost mod
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpukas2 View Post
Do you have a soft locker in the front, kind of nervous about going from a Aussie to a Detroit
I've ran the SoftLocker in the front of my TJ for the past 3 years. LOVE IT! I would recommend it to anyone. I've had friends who ran lunchbox lockers in the front of their TJ's, then hopped into mine and say that its less noticeable than the lunchboxes.

FWIW I feel more "torque steer" (or whatever you want to call it) from my front wheel drive Focus than I do my TJ. Its not noticeable at all in 2 dig, in 4 dig you know its there, but not unbearable.

From my experience the Detroit is the most reliable locking differential out there. Love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrbear View Post
Destroyed it somehow..... It went wobble wobble wobble boom
Tuffjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #14
lpukas2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Aussie in the front now and like it, but I have a Detroit that will bring into the front of my HP30 build with chromo shafts and 4.56 gears, I am used to the quirks of the Aussie and am wondering if a Detroit will be much worse. I live in AZ so snow and rain are not a factor.

Tags
aussie , detroit , differential , locker , lockers

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.