need advice on what to get - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > need advice on what to get

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
jshaab2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

need advice on what to get

so i think its time i upgrade to some armor and some cosmetic looks, i want front and rear bumpers (tire carrier) tube fenders and rocker gaurds....... well i seem to think smittybilt is the best bang for buck . it has recovery points and its cheat and pretty beeffyy . what do yall think i should do , any companys or sites i should check out . i found front and rear smittybilt tirecarrier for total 430 free shipping .

Unread 06-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

You pretty much get what you pay for. I'm saving up for AEV bumpers.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

¡ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
jshaab2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

is smitty built that bad ?
Unread 06-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Scout734
...is this real life?

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just put A to Z rock sliders with the round tube step on my TJ last week... love them. Incredibly strong and they look awesome. I also ordered Bestop's HighRock High Access front bumper with the grill guard. It should come in next week. I can't comment on it but it seems to have great reviews and I like it's features. There's a video on it in my link below. I have heard a lot of good about the Smittybilt, but that the finish on the Smittybilt is disappointing and flakes off fairly soon. I agree you get what you pay for and I'd rather buy one at a time and get what I really want than settle for less to have it all right now. I really researched all the reviews on Jeepforum before ordering... of course everyone has a different budget and needs different features with their armor... so really, in the end you should buy what makes you happy.

http://www.atozfabrication.com/store...er-Guards.html

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12050_1000_07.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pMoh1wBKk&NR=1

Yellow Jeep Club member #734
Scout734 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
jshaab2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

well i only have aboue 500$ to spend and i dont need anything crazy i wheel hard everyonce and a while. i have front and rear recovery but i also feel like the bumpers from smitty will enhance the look of the jeep and help with armor all for the right price
Unread 06-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Scout734
...is this real life?

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Then go for it! I think they look good and most people in the reviews section are quite happy with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pMoh1wBKk&NR=1

Yellow Jeep Club member #734
Scout734 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If your budget is limited, and you need actual protection:

Engine skid and bellypan skids first. Then Rocker guards. Bumpers later. Throw tire in the back for now, strap it down.

Cute looking bumpers are worthless after you rip a hole in your oilpan. I also wouldn't go Smittybilt, there are a number of far better built options that are in a similar price point... like top quality used stuff.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
jshaab2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

nothing used in jerey i searched CL and JF
Unread 06-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout734 View Post
I have heard a lot of good about the Smittybilt, but that the finish on the Smittybilt is disappointing and flakes off fairly soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post

I also wouldn't go Smittybilt, there are a number of far better built options that are in a similar price point... like top quality used stuff.
I have ran the following bumpers for over three years without any complaints:

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Bumpers-Jeep..._pn=S%2fB76740

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Bumpers-Jeep..._pn=S%2fB76651

-As for paint, mine have faded slightly but are still black.
-As for flaking I haven't had any.
-I know some people have had problems with the way the tire carrier mounts/welds to the bumper and this is the only negative thing I can honestly say anything about.
I will leave off saying I totaled out a car with the front bumper. The bumper didn't bend and the only damage was two dime size paint chips.
WakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #10
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on upgrading other pieces instead of bumpers and rocker guards. I'd be more worried about getting an engine and/or oil skid as well as upgrading the stock tie-rod before I'd be worried about looks. But thats just me.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.