My wife calls it my mid-life crisis... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > My wife calls it my mid-life crisis...

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 02-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
hoboscratch
2013 JK Wrangler 

My wife calls it my mid-life crisis...

My new JKU Sport, 3 days old. I keep telling her just be thankful I don't revive my old 1990 yj from its current state parked under a tree on my dad's land. That's next year though...

image-1429341225.jpg  
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
JoeCitizen
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mid-life crisis? No such thing. It's a concept created by the feminist movement to rob a man of any joy he may experience between the ages of 30 and 60. Especially if it involves spending more than $10 on himself.

Man: "Hey, look at my new Harley (or jeep, or boat, or any item that costs more than $10 and brings him joy)! Now that the kids are gone, and I'm not shoveling money out to everybody else, I can finally afford my dream."

Any nearby woman: "Mid-Life crisis!! Mid-Life Crisis!! You're having a Mid-life Crisis!! You are a malfunctioning silly buffoon trying in vain to recapture your teen hood!"

Man: (hangs his head wishing he'd said nothing)

A woman does the very same thing and everybody is like "You go girl! You are discovering yourself and finally stepping out there! You are so awesome!"

Whew! I feel better now. Thanks for indulging me.
JoeCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
CONative
2013 JK Wrangler 

Naw, a stock sport isn't a midlife crisis . . . now if it was a Rubicon . . .

CONative is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
hoboscratch
2013 JK Wrangler 

Haha, comedy. Very true, both posts...
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Mid-Life crisis starts when it's sitting 6" higher and has half of the body panels cut off, the other half beat to hell by obstacles

I've noticed the same thing JoeCitizen mentioned, man what a double standard.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCitizen View Post
Mid-life crisis? No such thing. It's a concept created by the feminist movement to rob a man of any joy he may experience between the ages of 30 and 60. Especially if it involves spending more than $10 on himself.

Man: "Hey, look at my new Harley (or jeep, or boat, or any item that costs more than $10 and brings him joy)! Now that the kids are gone, and I'm not shoveling money out to everybody else, I can finally afford my dream."

Any nearby woman: "Mid-Life crisis!! Mid-Life Crisis!! You're having a Mid-life Crisis!! You are a malfunctioning silly buffoon trying in vain to recapture your teen hood!"

A woman does the very same thing and everybody is like "You go girl! You are discovering yourself and finally stepping out there! You are so awesome!"

QFT
I'm all for a man sacrificing for his family, but I'm a firm believer in never losing yourself in all the chaos. She can't complain when you've been having the same "midlife crisis" since you were 18... haha.

Great post.
Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

^^This. The minute you give up on your desires, the woman takes over. I have a friend that used to be all into cars, having fin, pretty much, being a guy. Now, after being married, his wife has his balls in her purse, and he doesn't even hang out. Oh...no more cool cars...he drives a prius.

Hell, to make sure that didn't happen to me, several weeks after having a kid, I bought a sports car. Then a couple years later I bought the rubi.
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy206 View Post
^^This. The minute you give up on your desires, the woman takes over. I have a friend that used to be all into cars, having fin, pretty much, being a guy. Now, after being married, his wife has his balls in her purse, and he doesn't even hang out. Oh...no more cool cars...he drives a prius.

Hell, to make sure that didn't happen to me, several weeks after having a kid, I bought a sports car. Then a couple years later I bought the rubi.
You know what I can't wrap my head around? In the dozen or so "serious/semi-serious" relationships that I've had since my HS days is when a women desires a man, after she gets one, after a few months, they begin to systematically dismantle said man into some stripped down puppet. They begin to resent all of the hobbies you have, your friends, how you spend your hard earned money, the way you dress, etc etc. Even if you haven't changed a bit since you first met! :

Why? You wanted a man and that's all just part of it. Once you take that all away, you're left with a shadow of the person you supposedly fell for. So what the heck?

Just keep doing what you're doing! If you take care of her (i.e. she has what she needs, you make her feel important/special, and you make her a high priority) then after that you should still have complete control over who the hell you want to be.

My .02 for what its worth
Cheers

Last edited by Sparrows; 02-25-2013 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: punctuation fail :(
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
hoboscratch
2013 JK Wrangler 

All in jest for me, personally. My wife is pretty cool and doesn't have issue with me going on hunting, camping, fishing, or hiking trips without her, even with leaving her with our toddlers.

BUT I know a few guys exactly like what you're describing....
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

I could take some accusations of midlife crisis for that kinda woman.

Carry on.......
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
hoboscratch
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'd be a liar to say if it was that easy. Tit for tit, as they say...
Unread 02-26-2013, 04:55 AM   #12
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCitizen View Post

Ditto.

OP... Congrats on the new Jeep!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 05:03 AM   #13
REF_NJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCitizen

Hahahaaaa! This is awesome
REF_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #14
JoeCitizen
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, I want to be clear too. My wife has never accused me of mid-life crisis. She recognizes the sacrifices I've made to keep the kids and household well supplied and taken care of. We are just now the last few years able to spend a little money on wants instead of needs. She knows I'm a look before I leap kind of person and trusts me to not over spend. That's why the 33's and coil leveling kit instead of 35's and 4 inch lift. I've had plenty of female relatives and friends accuse me of mid-life crisis though. The first time was when I was 29 years old and bought a $2500 street bike. Two of my sisters just hung their heads and said "Yep, mid-life crisis." I said "What?! I'm only 29!" They said "Well, it can happen to a guy that early." I honestly believe most if not all women use it to defuse the fun a guy is having. I truly believe there are a lot of women that get seriously, seriously bugged if they see a guy smiling and happy. It bugs the hell out of them, they can't stand it and simply MUST do something about it to get that happy grin off their face. My wife does NOT fall into that category. No, she's not looking over my shoulder right now.

OP, congratulations on the new jeep. Last May I got a JKU Sport also. You're gonna love doing all kinds of stuff to it and with it.
JoeCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
hoboscratch
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yep, I lived in California for a few years with my '90 YJ. Had a blast with that and it was completely stock. moved back to Iowa and the little 2.5L eventually gave me too many troubles. My dad bought it from me, rebuilt the engine and fixed some tranny issues, but has let it sit for the past couple years. He almost sold it to someone but I had to put a stop to that, told him I'd buy it next year. That puppy needs to stay in the family, I think. Will be another fun (albeit never ending) project to have around...

My wife and I are planning to move to the Minneapolis area this year so I'll be closer to some wheeling opportunities. Here there is nothing. Even up there it's nothing like many other areas but its better than nothing. Plus I have friends in the Denver area who go wheeling so we're already planning a road trip after we get settled in up north.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.