My View of Winch Choices - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > My View of Winch Choices

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #46
bella mia
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Got a lot of fantastic info from this forum that can only come from guys that have years of experience. I am sure Poke must be one of those guys that has information like a Jeep Encyclopedia.

bella mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #47
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella mia View Post
Got a lot of fantastic info from this forum that can only come from guys that have years of experience. I am sure Poke must be one of those guys that has information like a Jeep Encyclopedia.
I've read a lot of his comments. He knows his stuff.

When you start your thread on your budget SOA, please send me a message. I'd like to follow that one. I have a few vehicles that are monetarily intense; however, with my YJ, I decided that it would be a good project to teach my sons that there is more to modifying vehicles than throwing money at them and bolting things on ('53 Pontiac that's all original, '52 HD Hydra-glide that's all original, My VTX with lots of "go fast" parts, and a 2007 Charger R/T with some major "go fast" parts). We have built practically everything on my Jeep and what we haven't built is primarily salvage items that have been repurposed. After selling some parts that were in great condition that I wasn't going to reuse, it occurred to me that I was nearly budget neutral on this one. Since then it's turned into a bit of a game to build it up the way I want it and stay under $1,000. (I don't think that I'm going to hit my goal, but I shouldn't be too far over.)

To the OP, I apologize for the thread hijack. As a Warn owner/lover, I'm glad to see someone else that has decided not to scream from the rooftops that you shouldn't put anything else on a Jeep. I like my 8274 and will recommend them to anyone who asks, but for a lot of people (myself included really) a Smittybilt would last a long time and be sufficient.
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #48
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
To the OP, I apologize for the thread hijack. As a Warn owner/lover, I'm glad to see someone else that has decided not to scream from the rooftops that you shouldn't put anything else on a Jeep. I like my 8274 and will recommend them to anyone who asks, but for a lot of people (myself included really) a Smittybilt would last a long time and be sufficient.
HI Grant,
Oh, it's alright. I've done it myself. It's a way of life here.

To your comments on the Smittybilt. How do you know? In this world I have a mantra. You get what you pay for. Simple and true. Do you think that Warn and Superwinch charge big prices because they think that is a strategy to sell more winches? I don't think so but obviously many folks here think that is true. In my view they just have not learned one of life's great lessons. I don't buy into their cheaper is better for a second.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #49
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check this out, these guys in Australia have 8274 kits with dual 6hp motors, shaft and brake upgrades, etc.
http://smithiengineering.com.au/prod...igglepin-winch

Just thought you might want to see that one...
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #50
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
Check this out, these guys in Australia have 8274 kits with dual 6hp motors, shaft and brake upgrades, etc.
http://smithiengineering.com.au/prod...igglepin-winch

Just thought you might want to see that one...
HI ironman,
Thanks for the link. I'm especially interested in their contactors.

Sparky
Unread 12-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #51
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
HI Grant,
Oh, it's alright. I've done it myself. It's a way of life here.

To your comments on the Smittybilt. How do you know? In this world I have a mantra. You get what you pay for. Simple and true. Do you think that Warn and Superwinch charge big prices because they think that is a strategy to sell more winches? I don't think so but obviously many folks here think that is true. In my view they just have not learned one of life's great lessons. I don't buy into their cheaper is better for a second.

Sparky
I used to have an XRC10. I never had any problems with my Smitty. I'd still be using it if I hadn't run across the 8274 that I have now. Years ago I had an old K5 that came with an 8274 and I found out how good they really were. When I ran across a good deal on the one I have now, I jumped on it (and subsequently, jumped on an old Warn Belleview which was an even better deal).

I absolutely agree with "you get what you pay for", but another mantra is "you can't always get what you want". I wasn't trying to say that a Smittybilt, HF, or "insert name of cheap brand here" winch is "just as good" as a Warn. I was saying that a lot of folks (me included) could get by just fine with a cheapie (if infrequently used) and most of us are on a budget. I almost never "need" a winch and if I'm putting myself into a situation where I might, there is typically a backup plan. That being said, I've put more money than the cost of a new Smittybilt (and a whole lot of effort) into rebuilding my 8274.

I went through the trouble and expense for peace of mind, and because I like spur gear winches. It may sound silly, but I just don't like planetary winches. There's just too much crap to go wrong. Give me a spur gear or a worm drive any day of the week.
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #52
bella mia
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Reading other posts it seems that some top quality winch companies may source some parts that are the same as or have the same manufacturer as less expensive winches. I install mostly diesel and some gas engines in boats. Plus I rebuild diesel engines but am phasing out of the rebuilding. The engines I work on are in the 500 to 1000 horsepower range. I have to buy some Harbor Freight tools. This is the plan that has worked for me. If it has moving parts or has to be used more than once a month I buy top quality known manufacturer parts. For example I needed 3 1/8 inch 1 inch drive socket. Wright tools had the socket for $280. I would only use this socket one time. So I bought the complete Harbor Freight 1 inch drive socket with ratchet, breaker bar and extensions for $120. I can justify this purchase because I will probably never use that socket and the $280 was more than I would have made on the job of taking the propeller nut off. Same goes with winched. I bought the harbor freight 8k winch. If I needed dependability and in the field serviceable features I would by a known dependability winch. In addition to the 8k winch I bought a small winch that attaches to the trailer hitch.
bella mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #53
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI All,
First, I want to thank all of you who have contributed to this post.

One of the most difficult problems with wheeling in unknown places is that it is unknown. It's nearly impossible to predict what you will run into. Because of this we must plan for the worst case situation. It is for this that a great winch is important.

If you choose to limit yourself to known trails with obstacles that are not severe enough to challenge your rig, or are always traveling with others, then one can get away with lesser equipment. To say that you always make sure you never get into a situation that would get you stuck is too great of a limitation for me. I want to go where I want to go. If I get stuck I want the capability to get unstuck. This, I believe, defines the differences to our approaches to the back country.

Please don't misunderstand. I'm no hero or backwoods expert. I just want to go where I want to go without limitations. Or at least, very few. But I have been on trails where it is obvious that my Jeep can't do the obstacles. Some trails at Moab come to mind. So, rather than be stupid and beat my Jeep up or, worse, break it, I turn around. Having good judgement is a big part of the wheeling experience. And judgement only comes with experience.

Sparky
Unread 12-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #54
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
HI All,

One of the most difficult problems with wheeling in unknown places is that it is unknown. It's nearly impossible to predict what you will run into. Because of this we must plan for the worst case situation. It is for this that a great winch is important.

If you choose to limit yourself to known trails with obstacles that are not severe enough to challenge your rig, or are always traveling with others, then one can get away with lesser equipment. To say that you always make sure you never get into a situation that would get you stuck is too great of a limitation for me. I want to go where I want to go. If I get stuck I want the capability to get unstuck. This, I believe, defines the differences to our approaches to the back country.

Please don't misunderstand. I'm no hero or backwoods expert. I just want to go where I want to go without limitations. Or at least, very few. But I have been on trails where it is obvious that my Jeep can't do the obstacles. Some trails at Moab come to mind. So, rather than be stupid and beat my Jeep up or, worse, break it, I turn around. Having good judgement is a big part of the wheeling experience. And judgement only comes with experience.

Sparky
Excellent point, about different driving styles. I am one of those who limits myself only to known situations. Reason why, is because my jeep is almost bone stock, and I don't have a winch. I don't want to be that guy they have to call emergency services for. It does happen on a regular basis around here, where some tourist gets lost or stuck. They call out for airlift a few times a year here.

I do know the area well enough to be a guide, but that doesn't mean my rig is unstoppable, nor does it make me a hero.

I would like to get a winch someday, and beef up my jeep a bit. But until then I have to go easy on it. Money is the main issue for me. I always insist on getting the best possible or don't do it at all.

Based on my work experience, I decided on either a hydraulic PTO worm gear winch, or an 8274... just getta save up some large $$$ to do it. Places I used to work had a lot of $$$ (heavy equipment recovery and repair).
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #55
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
HI All,

Sparky
If I lived in a different area where there were areas to wheel that I could be off by myself like you, I would need to be more prepared like you are. Truth is I don't even have the opportunity to be that far away from everything and my job and my family keep me here and I am happy as is. I have some wheeling areas that can test my rig to it's limits and beyond. The difference is they are attached to farms and I am usually never too far away from a farmer I have known all my life. The times I have needed help, I could walk to their place and borrow a tractor or they would bring the tractor to me so they had a better reason to give me a hard time.

Even though we have different situations, we both enjoy what we do and have our rigs set up accordingly, and in the end I think that is the idea you were conveying in the beginning of this thread.

Happy Wheeling!
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.