My View of Winch Choices - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > My View of Winch Choices

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #16
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You will be surprise on what winch are the top 3.

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=353

Unread 11-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #17
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I wheeled a lot of years with no winch at all. In my area I am never more than a couple miles from the nearest farmhouse. The times I got into a bad situation alone with no winch, the 2 mile walk through rough terrain gave me time to think about what I could have done different to avoid getting stuck in the first place. This spring I bought a "cheap" winch. I used it once for self recovery, once to recover a friend, and about 10 times around the farm moving things and winching junk cars onto my trailer. I wouldn't be without one now that I have one but my $299 winch has worked flawless so far. I have never been in a situation that a winch was absolutely necessary, for me it is just a convenience because I am getting too old and fat for those long walks.

To each his own...
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #18
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

We decided to get a winch after getting two jeep stuck and spending the night in the back seats. Next time I would build a fire and camp out. The third truck that was with us could not pull us out. Had to wait till the next morning to get a buddy with a F350 and some pull ropes and snatch blocks to get us out. So now we have a 10,000 HF and 9000 HF winch on our Jeeps.
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #19
bella mia
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Even the very best winch can fail. If my life depended on a winch I would buy four three hundred dollar winches instead of one twelve hundred dollar winch.
bella mia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 05:17 AM   #20
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI All,
I know you realize that survival is dependent on many things. I feel a little let down by you guy's that seem to think that I don't go into the wilds properly supplied. I am properly supplied for worst case.

But this thread is not about survival per se, but how the winch fits into a survival strategy verses other, less demanding, winch uses.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #21
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
HI All,
I know you realize that survival is dependent on many things. I feel a little let down by you guy's that seem to think that I don't go into the wilds properly supplied. I am properly supplied for worst case.

But this thread is not about survival per se, but how the winch fits into a survival strategy verses other, less demanding, winch uses.

Sparky
Actually that's what I figured you were doing. which is why I tried to bring up the wider topic. Of how it al fits together. But yes, I do wish I could get my hands on a proper winch of any kind. I try to avoid situations where I might need one, but there's a lot of rich idiots around here who buy a new SUV and then ditch it in the first good snow every year.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #22
staush
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My wife asked me why I was putting a winch on when I don't put myself knowingly in situations where I need one.I told her it's like fire insurance,you hope you never need it but when you do you better have it.Also with my left leg not working right,any walk out of the woods is to far.That's why I carry enough survival gear for two -three days.Like someone else said"Luck favors the prepared"
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #23
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella mia View Post
Even the very best winch can fail. If my life depended on a winch I would buy four three hundred dollar winches instead of one twelve hundred dollar winch.
HI bella,
And after you bought your four winches, what would you do then? Would you haul all four of them on each Jeep trip? They sure won't do you any good sitting in your garage at home. I don't understand your point.

Sparky
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #24
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

did i mention i did buy one after all. not for pulling me out of anything but to pull others out of the ditches along the streets here. people come around the turn to my street very fast and sometimes go into the ditch. it sucks trying to yank them out so now i can just hook up and hit the button.

i like this thread though because it brings a lot of info out for others to think about.
Unread 11-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #25
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

On that note, I had an atv winch hooked up for about a year. It did a great job at pulling branches out of ravines and off roads. Not for jeeping though...
Unread 11-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #26
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Buy the winch with the fastest line speed you can afford. That way you can spend more time making fun of your friends when they are stuck and your junk is out.
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #27
jonzjeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
HI bella,
And after you bought your four winches, what would you do then? Would you
haul all four of them on each Jeep trip? They sure won't do you any good sitting
in your garage at home. I don't understand your point.

Sparky
I think the point is no matter how much money you spend on a winch and no
matter which brand you buy, a winch is mechanical period. Anything mechanical
could break at any time. Yes your high dollar winch is more reliable but when it
brakes, not if, you still will be stranded is her point. Using a winch as a survival
tool is a misleading sense of security just because you bought a Warn..
Unread 11-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #28
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI jonz,
There are no certainties in this world. All we can try to do is minimize them. Are you seriously arguing that a better winch is a bad survival investment?

Sparky
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #29
jonzjeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not at all but I didn't want you to have a false sense of security just because
you bought a Warn. When relying on any equipment for life or death survival,
the key is being prepared and having redundant backup systems. I work in
maintenance in a health care facility. Peoples lives depend on certain equipment
working continually. The key to keeping the equipment up and running is
redundancy. Yes quality plays a key role but if I have learned anything in my
25+ years of experience in the maintenance field is that mechanical equipment
fails and never place all your dependency on any one piece of equipment.

Be safe and happy trails

John
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #30
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well like I mentioned, your winch might be fine but your alternator is shot. What then? Even the best winch isn't self charging.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.