My JK tow less than a Mini Cooper - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > My JK tow less than a Mini Cooper

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 03-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #31
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
I dont get it. My Xterra has 3.13 gear ratio and is rated for #5000
My brother bought an Armada fully rated for his large travel trailer. He had multiple suspension failures while towing. When he took a cross country trip, he had two exhaust manifold failures and finally got stuck in Oklahoma for a week waiting for a new transmission.

He now tows with a Ford F150.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #32
fchabot

So that means that if I leave it in 5th gear that would give me a 3.82 rear axle gearing, then I would be ok to tow more?

What could happen if I tow about 1600lbs on a 1000lbs ridiculous max capacity?
fchabot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #33
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
My brother bought an Armada fully rated for his large travel trailer. He had multiple suspension failures while towing. When he took a cross country trip, he had two exhaust manifold failures and finally got stuck in Oklahoma for a week waiting for a new transmission.

He now tows with a Ford F150.
don't want to get off subject here but, only thing I've towed with my Xterra was my jeep. Flat towed 8 hours no gripes here.

fchabot I would personally tow 1600lbs no problem with your jeep. Just drive like you have some sense and leave pleanty of room to stop in case you need it.
Unread 03-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #34
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchabot View Post
So that means that if I leave it in 5th gear that would give me a 3.82 rear axle gearing, then I would be ok to tow more?

What could happen if I tow about 1600lbs on a 1000lbs ridiculous max capacity?
Jeep 's derating of capacity has nothing to do with the drive train. The unlimited gets much higher rating with the same drivetrain. It's the short wheelbase that makes them nervous (minicooper is not so conservative) .

As long as the rig you are pulling is well behaved with the Jeep, 1600 lbs should not be a problem.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #35
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Jeep 's derating of capacity has nothing to do with the drive train. The unlimited gets much higher rating with the same drivetrain. It's the short wheelbase that makes them nervous (minicooper is not so conservative) .

As long as the rig you are pulling is well behaved with the Jeep, 1600 lbs should not be a problem.
He has an unlimited, with 3.21 gears jeep limits the JKU to 1000# towing capacity.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #36
fchabot

Thank you all for your comments, really helpful!
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #37
fchabot

Finally I think I'll just do it, keeping in mind that limitation while driving
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #38
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchabot
@Prot : I have a 4 doors sahara. I took my info from the user manual : www.jeep.com/download/pdf/ug/2011-Wrangler-UG-1st.pdf : Page 51, 1st line. The 3000$ regearing cost is the price from two local chrysler dealer. I'm in Canada, maybe it's more expensive around here.

@32vld : So that means that if I stay in the 1st to 5th gear I would stay close to a 3.73 ratio and be okay?

Thanks everyone for your comments, it's really helping me dealing with this!
You are out of your mind to take it to the dealer for regearing. I hope they at least kiss you first.

Take it to a four wheel drive shop that has experience with rebuilding differentials. You should pay between $900 and $1,600 total for both axles parts and labor included.

Decide what size tires you are most likely to stay with then regear for those tires. If you are staying with stock 32" tires, since you have a manual transmission, go with 4.10 gears. For 33's, go with 4.56. For 35's, go with 4.88. For 37's go with 5.13.

Since I have an automatic with 35's, I went with 5.13 and it's pretty good in all situations.

Looking at the PDF you linked to, the lousy 3.21 gears you have is your limiting factor as you will see most other combinations on those tables show 3,500 pound rating. I know I have decent towing capacity with my set up. Of course it's not a diesel super duty truck, but it pulls what I need to just fine.
img_0068.jpg  
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #39
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Stop griping, it'll tow it just fine. Keep it out of OD, use your head, plan out your braking, and don't drive it like it's a Mini Cooper

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #40
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

here is my tow 3.21
img_00076.jpg  

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #41
fchabot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
here is my tow 3.21
This is probably the same weight of a small popup trailer.

Nice buggy by the way!!
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #42
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchabot View Post
This is probably the same weight of a small popup trailer.

Nice buggy by the way!!
yup will do 35 MPH lots of fun on the beach

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #43
fchabot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
yup will do 35 MPH lots of fun on the beach
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #44
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Since your going to tow on a regular basis, I would definitely re-gear. Or find a cheap tow rig.

Gone - 2000 Sport, 1987 YJ, 1997 SE
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #45
fchabot

Does anybody know where I could find a european version on the wrangler owner manuel, or any towing capacities in europe?

Juste to compare.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.