My Jeep pilgrimage to the promised land...Moab! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > My Jeep pilgrimage to the promised land...Moab!

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #46
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Stunning pictures! Thank you for sharing. I've been to Moab, but I didn't own a Jeep back in those days (crazy!).

Your trip report confirmed that the summer of 2014 I'm going back there. (This summer's Jeep trip is the Michigan UP.)

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #47
RockyMnt1

For those planing to go to Moab in the summer, please keep in mind that you will need a minimum of 1 gallon of water per person per day. More water will be required for strenuous activities. This may sound like a lot of water, but it is accurate. Also, the temps are routinely over 100 degrees in the summer months, so shade is at a premium. Bring sun block and hats.

As far as recovery costs, the $200.00/hr to get the tow vehicle to and from the recovery site is accurate, but you need to add in the $600.00 winch fee once the recovery vehicle gets to the site also (this is in the Needles district). Back country recovery is very expensive.

I just did Elephant Hill (in the Needles district) for the first time this past trip. That is a cool trail.

Great pics!
RockyMnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #48
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMnt1 View Post
For those planing to go to Moab in the summer, please keep in mind that you will need a minimum of 1 gallon of water per person per day. More water will be required for strenuous activities. This may sound like a lot of water, but it is accurate. Also, the temps are routinely over 100 degrees in the summer months, so shade is at a premium. Bring sun block and hats.

As far as recovery costs, the $200.00/hr to get the tow vehicle to and from the recovery site is accurate, but you need to add in the $600.00 winch fee once the recovery vehicle gets to the site also (this is in the Needles district). Back country recovery is very expensive.

I just did Elephant Hill (in the Needles district) for the first time this past trip. That is a cool trail.

Great pics!
I would second this. The cheapest/most convenient way we've found of doing this as well is not to bring just a big jug ( we have one as emergency water) but to get a case of bottles at the gas station. It was under 5 bucks and instead of having to worry about refilling out of a jug you just grab a new bottle. This means that you're more likely to drink throughout the day.

Sorry for the hijack
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:19 AM   #49
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Cool trip. I did part of that run (though less off-roading) a few years back, but in a 20 yr old YJ. The run from Vail into Utah was savagely hot in August, a bit of snow would have been welcome.

I love the photographs, but I preferred the ones which appear to have less HDR post processsing. The hues and shading in that area are so subtle as they are.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #50
DeafJeep

Moab Weather

Moab's weather is as varied as its landscape. The typically mild winters in the lower elevations provide perfect conditions for hiking, golfing and bicycling while the higher elevations offer skiing and snowmobiling. An occasional winter snowfall in the red rock valleys creates an awesome color contrast. Spring flowers come early to the low country and linger into June in the high mountains. By summer red rock country is characterized by hot and dry days, mild evening temperatures, and lingering sunsets. An occasional summer thunderstorm can result in spectacular waterfalls that cascade from the tops of towering sandstone cliffs. Daytime temperatures in the mountain valleys and on the mesas can be as much as 10 to 20 degrees cooler. In the fall aspen and oak trees add hues of red, yellow, and orange to the green slopes of the alpine mountains. In some areas a balmy Indian Summer can linger into November.

Scroll down to see the month by month chart ...

http://www.discovermoab.com/climate.htm
DeafJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.