My Grandpa just gave me $1000 - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > My Grandpa just gave me $1000

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #76
xSHAWNx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm View Post
Unless you have some spectacular political clout you will receive only ONE nomination to West Point. Politicians do not want to waste their nomination on an individual that has already been nominated. I believe senators and congressmen are allowed to nominate 4 individuals to each service academy each year.The academy will then select it's candidates from those nominated.

One can also be appointed by a Senator or Congressman which means that unless the candidate is unworthy of admission to the academy, that individual is guaranteed admission. The drawback for the politician is that he may only appoint one individual rather than nominate four. With the nominations, if one individual is determined unfit for admission the academy will select form one of the other three nominations.

I am not 100% sure for the Army, but for the Naval Academy it is a 10 year commitment. 4 years of education at the academy and then a 6 year commitment to remain on active duty upon graduation from the Academy.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch ....my son had secured an Appointment to the Naval Academy, was injured, required major back surgery and wound up finishing college at Penn State. He had no intentions of paying for college, things can change in moment.

All that having been said, spend your $1000 wisely, enjoy your Jeep ! Thank you Father for his service to our country and thank you for wanting to serve our country, I will say a prayer that all goes your way and you will be at West Point in the near future.
Thank you very much. I'm glad things worked out for your son in the end. Did he do ROTC at Penn State? Btw my dad is a Penn State graduate school alum.

Unread 06-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #77
xSHAWNx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17 View Post
if you think thats the only mistake, you have alot to learn.
Let me guess, blame bush right?
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #78
xSHAWNx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellets007 View Post
Very sound advice. However, it is very possible to secure more than one nomination to the Military Academy, and it behooves an applicant to seek out all possible. Presidential nominations are the least competitive, and are generally used for fully qualified applicants who did not receive a congressional nom because of high volumes of applicants in that district. Congressional and ROTC are the most competitive, the latter of the two only goes to maybe forty applicants. VP noms are practically reserved only for applicants lacking any nominations, congressional or otherwise, but are strongly desirable for the Academy (esp. recruited athletes).

I received three nominations, and the Academy used the congressional nomination, and reserved the presidential and ROTC for other qualified candidates lacking a congressional nom.

I would strongly suggest putting that money in a CD or savings account. As mentioned, you have not even been accepted yet, and even with admission, you don't fully know what the future holds. Might as well save it for the $2k deposit required by West Point if nothing else.
A 4 year ROTC scholarship to Alabama or Auburn is my back up. And is much easier to get than West Point.
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #79
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons
Scratch Offs!!!!!

You can DOUBLE your $$$$$
Or get $20

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #80
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Go up to the hottest ***** at school and tell her you're taking her to an expensive restaurant. You may get lucky.

Or you may just waste a lot of money.

Ok back to my original idea. Hookers. 100% chance of getting lucky.

And an std. But that's irrelevant

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #81
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSHAWNx View Post
Let me guess, blame bush right?
not at all, why would you think that?
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #82
xSHAWNx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17 View Post
not at all, why would you think that?
You referred to the past 10 years.
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #83
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

Unread 06-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #84
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

if my grandpa had given me 1000$ (laugh) he would make me work for it)
id sit it aside for awhile think about what i want/need for the jeep. or other things.
think about when i need them. or if i just "need" them
if its something that could wait awhile buy like a cd or something at the bank so it can grow. make your money make money.
don't impulsive buy something.
and if you plan on selling it? stop putting money into it. most all things you do won't add much if any value to the vehicle...
rodgers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #85
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

pellets007,

Congrats on your nominations. Just curious which Service Academy are you attending ?
djm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #86
xSHAWNx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgers3 View Post
if my grandpa had given me 1000$ (laugh) he would make me work for it)
id sit it aside for awhile think about what i want/need for the jeep. or other things.
think about when i need them. or if i just "need" them
if its something that could wait awhile buy like a cd or something at the bank so it can grow. make your money make money.
don't impulsive buy something.
and if you plan on selling it? stop putting money into it. most all things you do won't add much if any value to the vehicle...
I said "selling" and people act like I'm getting rid of it tomorrow. I'm keeping for at least 5 more years.
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #87
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSHAWNx View Post
I said "selling" and people act like I'm getting rid of it tomorrow. I'm keeping for at least 5 more years.
So your saying that you'll never do mods to a car or jeep because you don't plan on keeping it forever? 5 years minimum is a decent amount of time. But if you can handle driving a jeep that doesn't ride good for at least 5 years. go for it
ctorres018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #88
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Im just saying, if i had a vehicle that i knew i was going to sell. i wouldn't bother doing anything but routine maintenance to it.
i however don't plan on selling my yj so i constantly look at upgrading making it better and right now im saving to start buying things to go towards a lift kit. i know i will own other cars in my lifetime but the yj isn't going anywhere.
rodgers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #89
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Money can be made off the right upgrades. A cheap bb and mm/bl will only cost a few hundred and will make the jeep look much nicer. Zone lifts are also common for a resale vehicle with profit.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #90
xSHAWNx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Money can be made off the right upgrades. A cheap bb and mm/bl will only cost a few hundred and will make the jeep look much nicer. Zone lifts are also common for a resale vehicle with profit.
What's a zone lift? I keep hearing about it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.