My Grandpa just gave me $1000 - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > My Grandpa just gave me $1000

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Reply
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #61
holliewood61
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Peterstown, wv
Posts: 826
The problem is if you put $1000 onto the jeep you'll be lucky to get 500 of it back when you sell it. If you're making money selling a jeep you did something wrong

__________________
08 WK bone stock
99 TJ mostly stock 97 TJ cheap jeep
81 CJ7 very little stock
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #62
Siva283
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Falling Waters, WV
Posts: 3,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by holliewood61 View Post
The problem is if you put $1000 onto the jeep you'll be lucky to get 500 of it back when you sell it. If you're making money selling a jeep you did something wrong
Or your one hell of a salesman.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum
__________________
1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 04:19 AM   #63
bogleparsons
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: fayetteville, NC
Posts: 1,850
Scratch Offs!!!!!

You can DOUBLE your $$$$$
__________________
If it's not supposed to move and does use duct tape.
If it's supposed to move and doesn't use WD40
bogleparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #64
JeffBowser
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SE Florida, Florida
Posts: 1,496
I was addressing the other gentleman with the short term outlook, not you

That being said, your comment below belies your experience. Real life has a way of knocking plans sideways.

Anyhow, good luck on your decision. Sound politics and wise financial advice aside, if I were to throw a grand at my Jeep in your shoes, given what I see in your profile and what you have planned, gears would be first on my list. I ran my 97 for years with the 3.55 and 33's. It wasn't until I bit the bullet and re-geared to 4.56 that I was truly happy with it.

I also want to commend you on your ability to calmly reply to folks who were busting your chops, that's a rare maturity at your age.


Quote:
Originally Posted by xSHAWNx View Post
I'm planning on military service, so unemployment isn't a concern.
JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #65
Shadownwpa
Senior Member
 
Shadownwpa's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Meadville, Pa
Posts: 622
If I were you I'd buy your granddad something nice for being awesome like that... like a polished up Henry Rifle that he can enjoy until you inherit it back eventually. Consider yourself lucky - mine... he charges $20 for me to change my tires on his busted old tire machine.

Shadownwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #66
Bhamshooter
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: birmingham, AL
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSHAWNx View Post
After college I plan selling my TJ. So I don't want anything extreme like axels.
I'm not too far south of you. Just saying, when you go to sell, keep JF Members in mind. Might sell a lot quicker that way than on Craigslist.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #67
xSHAWNx
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Madison, Alabama
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
How sad is that. And we wonder why this country is so screwed up.
I'm only 17, my dad is active military. He is pro gun, just not for me lol.
__________________
Rammer jammer, yellowhammer, give em hell Alabama!
xSHAWNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #68
xSHAWNx
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Madison, Alabama
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17 View Post
i would look back at what has been going on and whos running the show for the past 10+ years and really think long and hard about joining the service. occupying someone elses country for economic and fictional political reasons is not fighting for American freedom. ask your grandpa what he thinks you should do with the money or what he would do with it. hes probably got some very good advice.
The only mistakes we have made as a country recently were electing Obama, and then electing him again. You seem very anti- iraq war to me.
__________________
Rammer jammer, yellowhammer, give em hell Alabama!
xSHAWNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #69
xSHAWNx
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Madison, Alabama
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
Scratch Offs!!!!!

You can DOUBLE your $$$$$
No lottery in Alabama, gambling is illegal.
__________________
Rammer jammer, yellowhammer, give em hell Alabama!
xSHAWNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #70
xSHAWNx
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Madison, Alabama
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
I was addressing the other gentleman with the short term outlook, not you

That being said, your comment below belies your experience. Real life has a way of knocking plans sideways.

Anyhow, good luck on your decision. Sound politics and wise financial advice aside, if I were to throw a grand at my Jeep in your shoes, given what I see in your profile and what you have planned, gears would be first on my list. I ran my 97 for years with the 3.55 and 33's. It wasn't until I bit the bullet and re-geared to 4.56 that I was truly happy with it.

I also want to commend you on your ability to calmly reply to folks who were busting your chops, that's a rare maturity at your age.
Thank you.
__________________
Rammer jammer, yellowhammer, give em hell Alabama!
xSHAWNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #71
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life
 
JBTJ's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 10,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSHAWNx View Post
I'm only 17, my dad is active military. He is pro gun, just not for me lol.
Yeah, so was my dad, Navy, He bought my first at 12 and every birthday after that for the following 6 years. Still have the all to. Hell, I had 5 guns by the time I was your age.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #72
djm
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: PENNINGTON, NJ
Posts: 413
Unless you have some spectacular political clout you will receive only ONE nomination to West Point. Politicians do not want to waste their nomination on an individual that has already been nominated. I believe senators and congressmen are allowed to nominate 4 individuals to each service academy each year.The academy will then select it's candidates from those nominated.

One can also be appointed by a Senator or Congressman which means that unless the candidate is unworthy of admission to the academy, that individual is guaranteed admission. The drawback for the politician is that he may only appoint one individual rather than nominate four. With the nominations, if one individual is determined unfit for admission the academy will select form one of the other three nominations.

I am not 100% sure for the Army, but for the Naval Academy it is a 10 year commitment. 4 years of education at the academy and then a 6 year commitment to remain on active duty upon graduation from the Academy.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch ....my son had secured an Appointment to the Naval Academy, was injured, required major back surgery and wound up finishing college at Penn State. He had no intentions of paying for college, things can change in moment.

All that having been said, spend your $1000 wisely, enjoy your Jeep ! Thank you Father for his service to our country and thank you for wanting to serve our country, I will say a prayer that all goes your way and you will be at West Point in the near future.
djm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #73
rubicon17
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: , WY
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSHAWNx View Post
The only mistakes we have made as a country recently were electing Obama, and then electing him again. You seem very anti- iraq war to me.
if you think thats the only mistake, you have alot to learn.
__________________
Selling: tj rubicon locker, tatton drive shaft,xseries bushings
rubicon17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #74
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life
 
JBTJ's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 10,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17 View Post
if you think thats the only mistake, you have alot to learn.
No doubt, that's only the tip of the iceberg.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #75
pellets007
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: , KY
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm View Post
Unless you have some spectacular political clout you will receive only ONE nomination to West Point. Politicians do not want to waste their nomination on an individual that has already been nominated. I believe senators and congressmen are allowed to nominate 4 individuals to each service academy each year.The academy will then select it's candidates from those nominated.

One can also be appointed by a Senator or Congressman which means that unless the candidate is unworthy of admission to the academy, that individual is guaranteed admission. The drawback for the politician is that he may only appoint one individual rather than nominate four. With the nominations, if one individual is determined unfit for admission the academy will select form one of the other three nominations.

I am not 100% sure for the Army, but for the Naval Academy it is a 10 year commitment. 4 years of education at the academy and then a 6 year commitment to remain on active duty upon graduation from the Academy.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch ....my son had secured an Appointment to the Naval Academy, was injured, required major back surgery and wound up finishing college at Penn State. He had no intentions of paying for college, things can change in moment.

All that having been said, spend your $1000 wisely, enjoy your Jeep ! Thank you Father for his service to our country and thank you for wanting to serve our country, I will say a prayer that all goes your way and you will be at West Point in the near future.
Very sound advice. However, it is very possible to secure more than one nomination to the Military Academy, and it behooves an applicant to seek out all possible. Presidential nominations are the least competitive, and are generally used for fully qualified applicants who did not receive a congressional nom because of high volumes of applicants in that district. Congressional and ROTC are the most competitive, the latter of the two only goes to maybe forty applicants. VP noms are practically reserved only for applicants lacking any nominations, congressional or otherwise, but are strongly desirable for the Academy (esp. recruited athletes).

I received three nominations, and the Academy used the congressional nomination, and reserved the presidential and ROTC for other qualified candidates lacking a congressional nom.

I would strongly suggest putting that money in a CD or savings account. As mentioned, you have not even been accepted yet, and even with admission, you don't fully know what the future holds. Might as well save it for the $2k deposit required by West Point if nothing else.
pellets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.