My first time! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > My first time!

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 08-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Victory4US
2011 JK Wrangler 

My first time!

The first time I went wheelin was in my then b-friend's new pick up truck... (Fairly stock, the tires may have been upgraded.) He was not one to pass up an occasion to have good time. Well, it was fun for about the 10 minutes it lasted before he followed the pack, which took turns heading downward into some thick mud. Of course, we were the ones to get stuck! Stood outside shivering for nearly an hour when someone finally offered to let my friend who came along with us and I into their truck. So thankful was I. Remember outside conversation about this truck and that truck with monster tires couldn't get us out, and we were waiting for so and so with his JEEP to show up. All were certain the Jeep could do it! Eventually it seems a wrecker had to be called and the truck impounded (we weren't supposed to be there at all!) For whatever reason (I can't remember), the three of us took off walking before they arrived, heading through the woods and into Pontiac ending up at a bar where the owners eyed us suspiciously as we requested to use the phone at just before 2 in the morning closing time! that was nearly twenty-five years ago... Ahhh the days before cell phones! So what is the story of your first time?!

Victory4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Good topic. I don't remember my first time .... I grew up wheelin in the Tellico mountains in TN. If I had to venture a guess, it was probably a pickup and most likely wasn't even a 4x4. Rednecks will try to wheel anything even sedans especially in mud!
BlkOpsRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I wish I could've wheeled Tellico. Damn shame what happened to it.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
Yeah, I spent every weekend camping, wheeling, horseback riding or sometimes a combo of all in the mountains. They were building the road thru to NC then so there were all kinds of places to explore with little to no restrictions.

That tells you I grew up and moved away a long time ago!
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
I was able to wheel it 3 times.
I really miss that place, and wish I could take my Jeep with all the mods I have done to it since then.
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and my first time wheeling.
Had a couple of buddies that had Chevy 4x4.
One was huge, now this was back in the late 70s so it probably had 33 inch tires on it.
It was a winters night and we had been partying all night. No snow on the ground but really cold.
One of the guys suggested that we go out wheeling, one of the guys there knew a spot to go.
Headed out with only a chain as recovery equipment.
Came to a place that was all rutted out, but the ruts were going cross way from the way we were going.
The guy with the big Chevy nailed it and we bounced to the other side.
The guy with the smaller Chevy decided to go slow, he inched his way to the first rut, and both front tires fell into it.
Stuck!
Got the bigger Chevy across the ruts again and hooked the chain up to pull him out.
Yep you guessed it, the chain snapped.
Spent a couple of hours trying to jack the truck up to put rocks under the tires but could not get the truck unstuck.
We had to pile 6 guys into a single cab truck to get home.
I learned a three valuable lessons that night.
First, never use a chain.
Second, never wheel after you have been drinking.
Third, never drop both tires into the rut at the same time!
Unread 08-17-2013, 05:32 AM   #7
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
I learned a three valuable lessons that night.
First, never use a chain.
Second, never wheel after you have been drinking.
Third, never drop both tires into the rut at the same time!

Life lessons are very valuable ... And if you remember them after all this time, well worth the trouble.
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I don't remember my first time, but I know what vehicle it was. As a young boy, I grew up in the mountains of W,Va. We had an old 52 willys cj-3a on the farm. We were wheeling that thing before we even had driving papers and I would ride in it before that. It had 3 bald tires and no top, we kept it in the barn with the rest of the farm equipment. I was amazed where that little jeep would go, and the things it could do. I remember thinking how much better it would be with 4 good tires ha ha. I've been hooked on jeeps ever since. That jeep still sets in the barn till this day, but now it only gets used in deer season, but still doing the job. "Yes", it has 4 good tires on it now, we keep it up quit well now that were older and have jobs. The jeep belongs to the whole family, not just any one person and will for many more years.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.