Mopar Rock Rails vs. Smittybuilt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Mopar Rock Rails vs. Smittybuilt

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for Jeeps~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 05-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
RalphTomaccio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mopar Rock Rails vs. Smittybuilt

I've been thinking about getting a pair of Rubicon rock rails for my 2012 JKU and discovered that Smittybuilt builds a version for about half the cost. I'm really curious how the two compare compare in quality and strength. I was going to consider buying Mopar used, but not if I could buy new for about the same price.

I found these Smittybuilts for $219.99 with free shipping:

http://www.4wd.com/Armor-Protection/..._pn=S%2fB76636

Compared to Mopar's at Quadratec for $409.00:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12112_221_07.htm

I read somewhere that they are probably the same, built by a third party manufacturer and sold to both Mopar and Smittybuilt, as many things in life are. Can anyone confirm this as fact?

I eventually want to add Ace Rock Rails in addition to the above.

Any insight will be appreciated.

RalphTomaccio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
justin credible
2012 JK Wrangler 

Search the site for vendors that offer discounts to JF members.
I picked up a set of Smittybilt's for around $160 and they are holding up well. I've used the hi-lift on them and knocked a couple rocks with them, and they are taking it well.

They have a different finish than the Mopar ones.
justin credible is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

for light use, they are ok. I bent the factory one up rather easy on our rubi. it mounts only to the pinch and in the end molds its self into the body causing dents. I like the kind that are max clear and come with body armor plating. The rocker on a Jk is paper thin and one of hardest areas to repair once its bent.

The best protection made can be real expensive. like Nemesis, Currie, PSC close to 1K. some are very heavy too. I ended up with JCr stage2's(american made), I had some "points with them" and with that cost was 310$.

Last run I slipped off a V notch and the rail caught the Jeep on a rock lip. I thought for sure there would be damage, sounded bad felt worse. Had to back out the V notch grinding its way down and redo the line. just removed the paint.

That rear Fender is from many uses not related to the lower rocker slidder we are talking about. But having all of it metal and installed right makes the whole side of jeep like a rock rail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.