I got the SYE installed in the t-case and am back to having a Jeep that can propel itself (albeit front wheel drive) once again.
I decided as this was my first install, that I wanted to do it on a work bench where I could easily see what I was doing.
As you can see, after disconnecting 2 electrical connectors, the breather, and the shift linkage, its only 6 easy bolts to pull it.
A picture of the spedo gear position for later reference.
The slinger and oil seal came off easily with a hammer and chisel. The tail housing pulled off after only a few taps with a rubber mallet.
Exposing the oil pump.
My brother scraping the old RTV gasket off.
The AA SYE installed with the spedo gear housing re-clocked for the new gear I bought.
I was quite apprehensive about diving into this mod, as I've no previous experience with splitting transfer cases. Now that I'm done with it, I must say, with the guidance of the Advanced Adapters SYE install video on youtube, the hardest part of the project was dropping my heavy a$$ engine and t-case skids. IMO, if you have enough mechanical ability to tear apart and replace drum brakes, you can install a SYE.
Now, with the case reinstalled, skid plates on, rear axle readjusted (via Savvy CA's), and the rear spring cups cut to clear the shocks, I'm just waiting for my Tom Wood DS to get her done. (for now
The best part, No more 1" T-case drop!