Mods I've done so far *pics* - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Mods I've done so far *pics*

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-01-2009, 07:58 AM   #76
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Installed the AA bracket yesterday, went in smoothly. I did have to change out both mounting studs with the ones that came in the AA kit, not a problem though, just added a few more minutes. I also had to finish up the job this morning after a run to the hardware store. Turns out that the last time I tried to adjust the t-case linkage, I must not have tightened the bolt in the trunnion. It was gone. (5/16-18 btw)

Now I have full use of my transfer case again.

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

> > > LJ Owners Group < < <

Black Jeep Society
"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #77
Mud-Hunter
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesher420 View Post
Added a sticker to the tire cover today. From the Slayer album "Reign In Blood"

The sticker is a real heavy duty Vinyl! Not the cheap thin, flimsy vinyl type, made by Xtremjeep for a very reasonable cost!
HOLY CRAP! You did it! NICE!
Mud-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #78
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

^Thanks for the idea

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

Black Jeep Society

Unread 12-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #79
Mud-Hunter
2005 TJ Wrangler 

No worries! Some time send me your email and I will send you some of my bands music and some other bands I think you would love! I'm great friends with Chimaira and they are sick! If you get one album of theirs get The Impossibility of Reason! Hard to buy albums these days that you can listen to all the way through but this is one of them! The last track is a 12 minute Brutal Ripping Instrumental! Lamb of god is sick also but I'm sure you know them! 8)

Anyway it turned out wicked man!
Mud-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #80
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you're like me, the lack of a delay on the rear window wiper is quite an annoyance. Being a rear window, the only water it sees it that which is sucked up by the vacuum of driving a cube. Without a delay, I constantly toggle the switch for the rear wiper on and off to avoid the constant "dry wipe" squeak.

Well, I added a delay to the rear window wiper today. I ordered it off of JCWhitney.com
It has a range of ( OFF -- 2 SEC. <------> 20 SEC. )

It was a very easy install. It only requires 4 wires to be hooked up.
1. Ignition switched +
2. Ground -
3. Switch side of the wiper control wire
4. Motor side of the control wire
(wiper control wire must be cut and spliced into)

I planned to take a few pictures of the install in progress, but I also planned on just going out to the Jeep to "check it out" tonight. I'll post up a few pics of where I mounted it when I can take some in the daylight tomorrow.

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

Black Jeep Society

Unread 01-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #81
CMEvans79
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesher420 View Post
If you're like me, the lack of a delay on the rear window wiper is quite an annoyance. Being a rear window, the only water it sees it that which is sucked up by the vacuum of driving a cube. Without a delay, I constantly toggle the switch for the rear wiper on and off to avoid the constant "dry wipe" squeak.

Well, I added a delay to the rear window wiper today. I ordered it off of JCWhitney.com
It has a range of ( OFF -- 2 SEC. <------> 20 SEC. )

It was a very easy install. It only requires 4 wires to be hooked up.
1. Ignition switched +
2. Ground -
3. Switch side of the wiper control wire
4. Motor side of the control wire
(wiper control wire must be cut and spliced into)

I planned to take a few pictures of the install in progress, but I also planned on just going out to the Jeep to "check it out" tonight. I'll post up a few pics of where I mounted it when I can take some in the daylight tomorrow.

I WANT THIS!!! Cant wait for the write up!
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #82
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

As I said before, it was a very easy install. After finding a ignition switched + wire (I used the cigar lighter (red lead)) and a ground you have to find the control wire for the wiper.

Here is the wiring print for an '04 TJ....

And here is the pinout of the wiper switch....

I installed the switch assembly on the side of the airbag control module mounting bracket with some heavy double sided foam tape. I thought about mounting just the circuit board (w/o the housing) behind the blank panel where the ashtray was in older models. This would fit, but would require a bit of trimming of the standoffs behind the plate and was just more work than I thought it was worth. Where it is I can reach the control knob with a bit of a stretch, without taking my eyes off the road.

Here's some pics of the unit installed...

There is a LED on the face of the module that illuminates when it signals the wipers to run. This is accompanied by a relay click. Here is a short video clip of the operation of the module and the wiper...

ADD-ON:After driving in the rain a few times now, I'd like to report that the relay click is almost inaudible. If you really listen for it, you can hear it. But, the regular road noise of a Jeep does enough to hide it.

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

Black Jeep Society

Last edited by Hesher420; 01-28-2010 at 03:59 PM..
Unread 01-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #83
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting. I still may get one. The hard top is only on for the winter but it still could be worth it.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #84
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Today I ditched the 2.25" BB pucks in the rear for some real springs. They are progressive rate springs and have a spring rate higher than the stock 5AA springs. I was made aware of these springs because of research done by tjthorson in the thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/mo...t-info-912302/ .

Several people have researched the stock spring rate and have determined them to be about 140 (ppi).

Mercury Maurauder rear springs. (1970) - MOOG Part #CC805
Load 770
Spring Rate 187
Free Height 14.00

Very similar is the Teraflex 2" lift spring. It has a spring rate of 190 and retails for $217. The Marauder springs cost $67! I purchased mine from Amazon and they came w/ free shipping.

I installed the Marauder (CC805) springs today. As of right now they measure at 2.25" of lift. Once they settle in, probably right around 2"? They are a bit stiffer than the stock 5AA springs, but not a whole lot. With 210# on the hitch the stock springs deflect 1", the Marauder springs deflect .75". As you can see in the pics below, the Marauder springs have a bit larger diameter inside the pigtail ends. This does not look like it will be a problem because the springs are still captured within the spring buckets quite well. This however could be a problem if you tried to use them with a BB spacer puck.

Stock 5AA spring on the right (with and w/o 2.25" BB spacer) and the Marauder spring on the left.

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

Black Jeep Society

Last edited by Hesher420; 05-24-2010 at 10:20 AM..
Unread 05-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #85
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

As I noted in the post above, the center of the pigtails on the Moog CC805 springs are a bit larger than the stock springs. After running them for a bit, I decided I wanted to center the spring better.

Today I used hockey pucks (2 per side) to enlarge the diameter of the bump stop post to keep the springs centered.

The bumpstop extensions included with my 2.25" BB from 4wheel customs.

The new increased diameter bumpstop posts.

These next 2 show how the puck helps center the spring much better.

First, I drilled a 1 3/4 hole through the center of the pucks. (A tight fit over the extensions).

Next, I used a sawzall with a wood blade to taper the top of the top puck to fit over the spring isolator.

After reinstalling the springs with the pucks over the bumpstop extension, you can see how the spring is held centered in the spring cup.

I know how the usefulness of hockey pucks on Jeep applications has been highly contested on this forum. I do not see any reason why these will not work flawlessly for the life of the Jeep though in this application. There is no compressing force on the pucks that could cause them to deform. They are only seeing minute lateral pressure when the suspension is at full flex to keep the spring centered.

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

Black Jeep Society

Unread 05-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #86
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Given the fact that the hockey pucks are still smaller than the pig tail, I wonder if one the front spring isolators or a 2" BB puck would be a nice tight fit.

Not to hijack, but.... I have a comparable set up for my rear springs. I installed rear coils from a 4 dr JK Unlimited in the rear of mine (for 3" of lift and significantly higher spring rate). The pigtail is a little smaller than the post in the TJ. To install the spring, I used a body lift spacer for the top of my rear springs and a coil spring clamp to anchor the bottom end.
jk-spring-install-rear-compressed-spring-place-side-view.jpg  
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #87
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualtjs View Post
Given the fact that the hockey pucks are still smaller than the pig tail, I wonder if one the front spring isolators or a 2" BB puck would be a nice tight fit.
Don't know about the front isolator, but my 2.25" BB pucks are a bit too big to use. I would have had to take about 1/4" off the radius to make them work.

And they have a higher resale value than the pucks I used.

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

Black Jeep Society

Unread 05-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #88
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thought it might be close. Isolator is the same diameter, so it wouldn't work either (not sure how durable it would be if you cut on it to remove 1/4"). Gotcha on the resale value.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #89
arcticchilla
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I like the herculiner idea on the grill. I'm actually going to do my hood this weekend since I dented it crawling out on to it in some water.

I herculined my tub and cabin, but could not for the life of me break the torque on the seat brackets...it felt like I was just rounding off the torx head...any tips?
arcticchilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #90
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The large bolt that holds the seat down is torqued to 60 ft.lbs. (the other 3 are at 40ft.lbs.). If you can get a hold of some "Kroil", it works great to help free them up! If not, PB Blaster is another very good penetrating oil that can help you out. Another helpful tool is a hand held impact like the ones they sell at Sears.

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

Black Jeep Society

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.