Moab in a stock Sport? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Moab in a stock Sport?

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
thesarge
2013 JK Wrangler 

Moab in a stock Sport?

Putting this in JK Tech because I'm curious about JK capabilities. Mod, please move if this is the wrong place.

Headed to Moab in a month for a mountain biking trip and I want to do some wheeling while I'm there. The only wheeling I've done there was Fins N Things in a rental Rubicon - which handled it quite nicely.

I'm trying to decide if I'm better off driving the Jeep out there (13 JKS) or driving the truck with much better MPG and cargo capacity and then renting.

The only upgrade on my Jeep is 33" BFG MTs. No lockers or lift. Will I be disappointed with it's performance on the rock after having driven the Rubi?

Also, what trails would be comparable to Fins N Things? That one was fun without requiring a change of underwear.

thesarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
ferninaz
2012 JK Wrangler 

You have an opportunity to drive your Jeep around Moab, why wouldn't you take it? It will give you an opportunity to find out what kind of mods will help you to handle the obstacles in the future. Of course you will not have as easy a time in a Sport as you did in a Rubicon, but a little challenge makes offroading more fun.
ferninaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Plenty of trails a sport can handle in Moab. Get the book Guide to Moab by charles Wells

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
bobjp

As mentioned, there is plenty to do out there with a stock Jeep. No way I would drive a truck out there. How much better mileage could it get?
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
thesarge
2013 JK Wrangler 

OK, truth is, there are 2 other guys going with me and they don't want to ride in the Jeep for 18 hrs. I was thinking I'd take the Jeep with a trailer for the bikes and gear and they could fly - but they want to road trip just not in the Jeep.

I guess I'll push for 2 vehicles - because you're all right, the Jeep needs to go.

And Beast - thanks for the book recommendation, it'll be here on Friday.
thesarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
bobjp

Sounds like their problem. Yeah, definitely their problem.

If you have the means to take a trailer, there should be plenty of room in the Jeep for 3 people.
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

That guide book is awesome. Check out Seven Mile Rim, nothing much worse than Fins' on there. A few larger ledges but most those can be avoided
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
RockyMnt1

I vote for renting a Jeep in Moab, if money is no object. It saves wear and tear on your jeep, you get better gas milage on the trip up, and you get to play around Moab with a Rubicon, This gives you the option of going on some more difficult trails and seeing the advantages/disadvantages of a jeep with different equipment. You already know how your jeep drives, handles, and it's limitations.

There are plenty of cool trails that don't need a lift or lockers, but it sure is fun to have them there.

Let us the decision. Inquiring minds want to know...
RockyMnt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMnt1 View Post
I vote for renting a Jeep in Moab, if money is no object. It saves wear and tear on your jeep, you get better gas milage on the trip up, and you get to play around Moab with a Rubicon, This gives you the option of going on some more difficult trails and seeing the advantages/disadvantages of a jeep with different equipment. You already know how your jeep drives, handles, and it's limitations.

There are plenty of cool trails that don't need a lift or lockers, but it sure is fun to have them there.

Let us the decision. Inquiring minds want to know...
You may want to read that rental agreement.
You could do 90% of the trails in Moab with a stock Jeep.
We are planning on going back to Moab next year. I have already told my wife I will not be taking my YJ unless we get a new truck. My truck has alot of miles on it and I am not really sure it will make it up over the Rockies towing my Jeep.
So we are thinking about taking the Commander.
I am certain we will be able to run Hells Revenge. though we will pass on the obsticles.
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:32 PM   #10
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

As mentioned Get the Charles Wells Book most of Us Utah Residents have a copy of it .

Your Jeep should be fine doing Hell's Revenge, Fins N Things, Poision Spider , Tower Arch Trail, Eye of Whale is Impassable this late in the season (Sand is too soft)
and there are a bunch more .
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
justin credible
2012 JK Wrangler 

I was there 2 weeks ago in my stock Sport on 32s. it was great.
Most trails have bypasses for anything too difficult for a stock rig.

Is Eye of the Whale the one through Arches? Cause I ran that with no problem and the women I was with say it was their favorite run (less bouncing I assume).
justin credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin credible
I was there 2 weeks ago in my stock Sport on 32s. it was great.
Most trails have bypasses for anything too difficult for a stock rig.

Is Eye of the Whale the one through Arches? Cause I ran that with no problem and the women I was with say it was their favorite run (less bouncing I assume).
Yes it is in arches national park you make a left onto the dirt road across from the balance rocks parking lot follow that for .8 mile then make. Right. There are signs posted on it stating impassable in summer due to the soft sand. And that trail is about 9 miles long and comes to a t at the end on to tower arch trail.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.