Mixing Gears? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Mixing Gears?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mixing Gears?

My buddy ordered gears for his TJ. He wanted 4:10s they sent him 4:11 for the rear and 4:10s for the front. They told him this will be Ok. I think they need to match? What do you think?

Unread 10-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

That will be perfectly fine. Very common for there to be a small difference based on how gears have to be machined to fit a particular axle. IIRC a general guide you hear thrown about is being within 1-2%. 4.10 to 4.11 is only 0.25 of a percent. Personally, I've run 0.5 of a percent difference and had no troubles.
Unread 10-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

^ Correct.

I had a Ford truck that came from the factory with 4:10 and 4:11. You couldn't tell it without looking at the specs.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's perfectly fine. The difference is due to the amount of teeth that are on the ring and pinion gears.4.10s have 41 ring gear teeth and 10 pinion teeth. 4.11s have 37 ring gear teeth and 9 pinion teeth. You'd get more difference with having tyres that are slightly more worn on one axle.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
ridesno4llfe
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just to add my knowledge on this. Its off .01 because the fronts have to turn. This allows them to compensate for the difference in speed front to rear letting the front turn a little faster
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesno4llfe View Post
Just to add my knowledge on this. Its off .01 because the fronts have to turn. This allows them to compensate for the difference in speed front to rear letting the front turn a little faster
Running them exactly the same works just fine. .01 (and even a bit more difference) just doesn't make a difference. As previously posted the exact number just falls out from what gear sets will fit in what housing.
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #7
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

It does actually work better unless you have a tcase that allows changes (like a NV242 in 4 hi open) Locked cases will push the front around the corner otherwise.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.