Maybe it's just me. Maybe I don't "get it" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Maybe it's just me. Maybe I don't "get it"

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #1
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I don't "get it"

I saw this quote in another forum here on JF

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post

We're Mallcrawlin' in the COTM contest with nothin bigger than 31" tires this month.
It got me thinking ........... what does tire size have to do with vehicle ability? Just because someone is running 35's or larger doesn't mean that they have a "better" rig than someone running 31's or 32's.

This infamous CJ crossed South America:

msmith7.jpg  

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Ryman12
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
It got me thinking ........... what does tire size have to do with vehicle ability? Just because someone is running 35's or larger doesn't mean that they have a "better" rig than someone running 31's or 32's.
Thats true, tire size isn't the only indicator of whether or not a rig is built nicely or not. Some people just throw on a 2" BB and 35's and dont give a damn that they dont have any flex. Some people have 35's but pay more attention to capability of their rig as a whole.

There are situations though where larger tire does make a rig better, like with rock crawling or mudding. For overland use (like the one you pictured) smaller tires will suffice; it all depends on the purpose of the rig.
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
bobjp

Well, if you're trying to go rock crawling, you're not going to do it with 31's.

Tire size impacts ability. I'm guessing it's that you live in Illinois that you don't "get it". Don't get me wrong, I have 31's and live in Michigan where there's nothing much challenging, but I realize there are places where 31's wouldn't cut it.

Nobody is saying 35's are better, but there are so many Jeeps with less it's just not fun to look at.
Unread 03-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
Well, if you're trying to go rock crawling, you're not going to do it with 31's.

Tire size impacts ability. I'm guessing it's that you live in Illinois that you don't "get it". Don't get me wrong, I have 31's and live in Michigan where there's nothing much challenging, but I realize there are places where 31's wouldn't cut it.

Nobody is saying 35's are better, but there are so many Jeeps with less it's just not fun to look at.
I will say they are, no question period 35" are better than 30-32"s off road. But a Jeep must be built better for off road than malls. 35"s can put alot of strain on hard trails.

But were you live will set what you need to have and what you are willing to try is up to you. One thing to get stuck in mud . another to find your self window deep in rocks and trading paint with them.

Build YOUR jeep for what your needs are and the cost you can handle.
Unread 03-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Big round bouncy things = sexy!
Unread 03-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with you but only to an extent. You don't get it.

Go set a rock in your driveway. Roll a baseball over it. Now roll a basketball over it. You should get it then.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
Big round bouncy things = sexy!
Nice. Real nice.

But seriously folks - I get that there is terrain that requires large tires and large lifts (King of The Hammers), but what kills me are people who only look at tire size as an indicator of vehicle/driver ability. Seriously? I mean, I'm no expert off road driver by any stretch of the imagination, but I have seen people do some seriously sick stuff on 31's and 32's. Stuff that had other people with 35's shaking their heads because they got stuck in the very spot that this "under built" rig just went through like it wasn't even there.

On a similar vein, I've got a "friend" who's running 37's on a Land Cruiser. He blows me crap all the time because I'm not running 33's or bigger and he'll go places I can only dream of going. Whatever. This is the same guy who splits an axle in half on almost every outing, or shreds a transfer case, or rips a bumper off, or .......... you get the idea. And it's his DD to boot.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

It's not just 35" tires it's about having lockers! For the last 20+ years I have run 31" tires, 32" tires 33" tires I few years ago I went with 35" tires. But I added a Dana 44 front end with a locker to go with my Dana 44 rear. For the street it's all about the look for off-road it's about goround clearence and traction.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

In regards to the original referenced comment, I think it's quite the opposite.

A 32" rig banging it on the rocks is more of a real crawler than the guy on 35s or 37s who babies his rig (because he put so damn much money in it getting it to ride properly on 35s).

It's why I *refuse* to go any larger than 32s on the YJ and kept the JK stock. I'm not going to be that guy who builds it up because he feels like that's what you're "supposed" to do with it.

Both my rigs are on 32s and go places most shiny-tire poser rigs around here will only see in magazines.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

No shinny Jeep here. built for 4wheeling.
2011ofr-038.jpg  
Unread 03-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

the same trail on 33" tires. like I said after 20+ years it was time to up it to 35" tires. best advise build your rig over years start with 31" tires and slowly move up.
065.jpg  
Unread 03-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

....are you wearing the same shirt?

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #13
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's how I look at it. Take the same quality of a build on a 31" tire vs a 35" tire. The 35" will go anywhere the 31" can, but the 31" won't necessarily go where the 35" will.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Larger tires result in better ground clearance at the differentials. That there is the primary advantage over smaller tires.

If I've done my maths right, 35" tires provide up to 2" of additional clearance at the diffs over 31" tires. That's the low point that you don't want to get hung up on, or worse, damage. Sure you can add differential skid plate armor, but if you get hung up, you're still gonna need a winch or pull to get you past that point. No point to attach a winch line, or no vehicle to pull you past the hang up, and it's game over. You're not getting past the obstacle.

There are cases where terrain in the primary limiting factor no matter what track you try, particularly when it comes to minimum ground clearance. If you don't have enough clearance at the diffs, you're gonna have a bad time.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #15
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

To each their own. 31s do what I need for the trails I ride, plus it helps keep costs down. 33s and I would want a regear and additional upgrades. When I wear out the tires I have I will consider 33s but I feel that's going to be my max. I don't plan to upgrade axles again.

For looks I think tjs and yjs look nice in the 31 to 33 range. Jks "need" 33-35s to look normal with a lift.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.