Low tire pressure sensor going off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Low tire pressure sensor going off

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 06-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
millav

Low tire pressure sensor going off

Hey

I have a 2011 wrangler and the low tires pressure light has been going off since month 1. My dealership garage says they've replaced all of the sensors, but it still goes off...anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!

Milla

millav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

to the forum.

What psi are putting in your tires and are you doing the same to the spare tie?
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
cphilip
2010 JK Wrangler 

Another government mandate for your safety.... sigh...
cphilip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
jeepjerryp7m8
1982 CJ8 

Welcome!
Buy a YJ or TJ and never worry about this again.
Seriously though, try rotating your tires front to rear. The pressure sensor really reads RPM, not pressure, if the problem goes away tell the dealer what you did. That will help them track it down.
Jerry
BTW; Are your tires the same size?
jeepjerryp7m8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
squarelight94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjerryp7m8
Welcome!
Buy a YJ or TJ and never worry about this again.
pressure sensor really reads RPM, not pressure,
Really?! How does it work like that? (I don't know too much about the tpms' but I really thought it sensed pressure

OP just wait till you air down and have the sensor beeping at you the whole time on a trail! Haha thats how my buddy found out about this problem.... It was hilarious
Unread 07-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
SRT8LAREDO420

My 07 Laredo and my 08 srt8 both have restarted tpms sensors ever since I bought the jeeps they have had issues. I just recently decided to switch all tpms sensor to the new style sensor made by vdo. (aluminum valve stems) when I replaced them all I had to do was disconnect the iod fuze located under the hood #27 reconnected after 10 min and the wcm will clear any past codes. Have psi at 36 havnt had a problem with my system for 300 miles. Keep in mind jeep do not have a set procedure for resetting the tpms sensors besides just driving the car for 10 min above 20 mph. The premium tpms systems require a magnet to wake the sensors up. Hope this helps.
SRT8LAREDO420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 05:21 AM   #7
Ruffles
2010 JK Wrangler 

If you haven't done so already, check the pressure on the spare.
Ruffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
TempVAJeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelight94 View Post
Really?! How does it work like that? (I don't know too much about the tpms' but I really thought it sensed pressure

OP just wait till you air down and have the sensor beeping at you the whole time on a trail! Haha thats how my buddy found out about this problem.... It was hilarious
Can't see how the RPM's come into play, Ones on my Subaru will come on the first cold spell of the fall because the temperature has reduced the pressure in the tires...

LOL, My coworker just told me about his brother doing the same thing, aired down for beach riding & couldn't figure out the alarm going off... thanks US Gov't!
TempVAJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Another frigging computer tool to replace common sense. (sigh...)

Pity the .gov can't mandate a "low driver IQ" sensor. It would solve a LOT of problems encountered while driving in traffic. (not directed at OP)
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

TPS (or TPMS) are a brilliant convenience for those who use their cars as drivers and don't want to have to worry about all of the safety checks that most don't have the time for. Believe it or not people do pay attention to that light when it comes on, and come to fill their tires up. It's on a very short list of government mandated safety devices that I actually advocate for.

Whoever said it works off of tire RPM is only partially correct. The direct system actually employs a pressure sensor inside of the tire that transmits a live feed to the vehicles computer, based off of the actual pressure inside of the tire.

An indirect pressure sensor uses RPM sensors to detect slight variances in angular velocity from an under-inflated tire, sensors not located inside of the tire. The vast majority of vehicles out there today employ a direct system, the indirect system is fading away.

If the light is still on there may be a few things at play:

1. Your tires are actually under-inflated.

2. Your pressure sensors are not set for the tires pressure (I.E. from bigger tires that run a lower pressure- it takes 3PSI difference to trip the sensor).

3. Faulty pressure sensing system, in which case the light would actually blink.

4. You need to manually reset the tire pressure light VIA button, normally located on the bottom of the dash panel.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Most of the time you need to overinflated your ties by about 5 psi and then back down. I believe they trigger around 32 to 36 psi.
I like the tpms system, it's shown me my last 4 low tires before it ever became an issue. If you don't like it, get a procal or other module and turn it off.
The current jeep system has nothing to do with rpm. It's direct pressure reading.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.