This looks great to me...what's the catch??? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-23-2010, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Scotthartmann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This looks great to me...what's the catch???

Just found this on autotrader and need to know what you guys think. This looks great but I'm a skeptic. I can't go check the vehicle out but may be able to have a friend take a look at it in a week or two if it's still around. Want to know if I'd be wasting his time.

Also, what questions would you all ask this seller. I really want to join you guys on the road in a jeep, but can't afford to buy a lemon. Thanks!

Price $4,400
Mileage 86,000
Year 1990
Body Style Sport Utility
Exterior Color Green
Interior Color Beige
Engine 6 Cylinder
Transmission Manual
Drive Type 4 wheel drive
Fuel Type Gasoline
Doors Two Door

Seller's Description and Comments:
1990 Jeep Wrangler 6 inch lift with 33 x 14.5 inch tires teflon coated American eagle rims Toyota transmission new yolk driveshaft and transfer case undercarriage completely skid plated posi traction installed flow master exhaust system Ready to rock or a fun time at the beach

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-23-2010, 06:34 AM
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

That is low mileage for a '90. I would ask for details on the Toyota trans and why it's on there.

Tom
post #3 of 9 Old 02-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, thats what I was thinking, definitely ask about the Toy tranny

post #4 of 9 Old 02-23-2010, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Scotthartmann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Will do, thanks guys.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-23-2010, 09:35 AM
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

1990 would still be a carbureted Jeep, I think the inj 4.0 came out in 91.
As a manual it would also have the Peugot tranny, which is why is probably why it was swapped out.

He doesn't say injection or carb -- might wanna find out, if you have a preference.
Good luck,
Pete

88YJ:SOA/locked/35s/Superwinch=Wheeling Jeep.
04WJ:4.0/3"+10mm/Superwinch=DD & Expedition Jeep.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-23-2010, 10:52 AM
-BeNt-
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah good mileage! But deals do happen I found my 98 with only 70k miles on it two years ago for a steal with 6.5" lift and 35's. So its worth going and looking. He must be pretty honest especially if he is telling you in the article that it has the Toyota tranny, so like the others I would ask. Also ask if it has ever had an engine replacement and why etc with the driveline parts. Really indicates the treatment this Jeep has had.

The number two thing I would do, is pull up the floor matting in the rear, open up the rear door and lift the flooring and check for rust or collision damage. Then do the same thing next to each seat in the front. And look underneath the front of the jeep (front bumper area) to see if the frame has been wielded in anyway. You will be able to tell if it's a "fix it' wield of a wield for a bumper. (double wield is strength short splattered wielding is crappy collision repair.)

The next thing in order is check the fluids by smell and color. Make sure the oil isn't turning any shade of brown, should be obviously dark black with an oil smell versus burnt. Crank it and check for smoke smoothness of the engine etc. Play with the gear shifter see how smoothly it can shift.

If everything seems OK, time for a drive! Do the normal check power, clutch, and brakes bs while your out. Pay close attention to vibrations because it could indicate some reworking once you buy! Take it back and buy it if everything checks out. If he is only asking $4400 right now he knows what a good Jeep is worth so don't expect him to go down a lot if it really is in good shape. A Jeep like that in good shape I would think is worth between $3000-6000 depending on the condition, mileage, and add-ons. I think if it looks and drives good I would to the $3200 offer, which he's not going to take, and go no higher than $3800 the way it sits.

Last edited by -BeNt-; 02-23-2010 at 11:51 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-23-2010, 12:23 PM
SpeedJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Those tires are the offroad equivelant to racing slicks.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-23-2010, 01:25 PM
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

From the ad it really does look like a damn good deal...almost too good. Might be worth $35 bucks to run a Carfax. Given the age & tranny swap who knows what its history is.

2003 Patriot Blue Wrangler SE - RCX 2.5" Kit on 31x10.5 Firestone M/Ts and stock the rest of the way.
2007 Flame Red Wrangler Unlimited X - Skyjacker 4" Kit on 35x12.5 Cooper Discovery STT(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #9 of 9 Old 02-24-2010, 11:19 AM
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
That is low mileage for a '90. I would ask for details on the Toyota trans and why it's on there.
Aisin Warner which manufactures the AX-15 is a Japanese company with strong ties to Toyota. So he's not overly lying. I think he's just clarifying its not a Peugeot trans and trying to make it sound reliable or something.

'99 SE: The "It could be worse..." jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.