Looking for some advice on tow package - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Looking for some advice on tow package

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
giants56

Looking for some advice on tow package

So I put a deposit down for a 2008 4 dr Wrangler yesterday. My package came with the 6 cd/dvd changer which i didn't want and no tow package, which i did want. I asked for them to throw in the tow package which they wouldn't, but they did knock $250 off of sale price and threw in 3 years of free oil changes (which i think is significantly more than the tow package, meaning i got the better deal). They said they would do the tow package for the original sale price(no $250 discount and no oil changes) for an additional $262(they said it costs over $500 to do it at the dealership). I'm curious if anyone has done the tow package aftermarket or if I should have the dealer do it. Personally I think the current deal I have is pretty sweet.

giants56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
vtjeepguy97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i threw one on real quick to my 97 did it myself without previous knowledge. just get one off of quadratec, and then go to wally-world and pick up the wiring. its real simple. and you did get the better deal, because you should be able to do it for less than 250.
vtjeepguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
WDE24Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

i got my hitch from uhaul and had them put it on cost about 150 total i think. I used it mainly for a hitch basket then. Now i have a trailer and needed the wiring for the trailer brakes, went to the dealer and picked up the plug and play harness for 44 bux with tax and installed it myself in about 30 mins. You do need a really good drill bit and the angle i had to drill for the ground was really crappy so that added time to what is really a simple install.
Unread 06-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
Rhino64
2008 JK Wrangler 

I bought my hitch and Mopar wiring harness off the Net. Less than $150 took about an hour to install. No mechanic ability needed straight foreword install.
Rhino64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
XWind
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'd put the tow package on yourself. I did, just like everyone else that posted here. Its cheaper to do it yourself and very easy to install. Never trust the stealership!!
XWind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

It would be different if the tow package included a larger transmission cooler or something but it doesn't. All it is is a hitch receiver and wiring harness, so stick with the deal they offered with the oil changes.

What you do want to do though is check to see what gear ratio you have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.