Looking at some 03 rubicons need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Looking at some 03 rubicons need help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at some 03 rubicons need help

So ima yj guy and dont know a bunch about long arm suspension or the coil suspension really at all. One has MTR 37 12.5 15 with a Savy Currie 4 inch lift And the other one has the rubicon
express 4.5 long arm kit with 35's. whats the difference?

And

dakota123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Unlike your YJ, TJ's use coils to support the frame and set the ride height and uses control arms (links) to connect the axle to the frame. When the frame is lifted and the stock frame link mounts are used, this is referred to as a short arm. Savvy / Currie is as good as it gets for a short arm set up. A long arm refers to a longer control arm, so the frame link mounts are moved closer to the center of the frame. The fundamentals of a longer arm is to reduce the angle of the link between the axle and the frame. A short arm lift is limited to 4" as the increased angle of the arm can cause the link ends to bind when the axle is made to move throughout it's full range of motion. The increased angle of the arm will also transmit more harshness to the frame as opposed to the dampers.

Sounds like a long arm is better, right? Not necessarily. The longer the arm the more you have hanging under the rig to get hung up on. Also, RE has been plagued with bushing issues. Currie uses their propriety Johnny Joints (JJ's) which is arguably the finest misalignment joint available.

All else being equal, I'd go for the Savvy/Currie build. One word of caution, even if the Rubi's D44 have been upgraded with chromolly axle shafts, 37" rubber is pushing the limits on high traction surfaces.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for that information. I am leaning towards the Savvy Currie one because i did read some poor reviews about what you mentioned with the RE. But then again can you just add long arms to the savvy Currie kit? Seems like it would be the best of both worlds if you did so. But then again not even sure if thats possible. And it does have the upgraded chromolly axle shafts in it. Are the chances of breaking something really that easy even with the upgraded shafts. Comming from a turdy 5 and a 30 i always thought the D44's were supposed to be real strong. The Jeep im lookin at its actually being sold on this forum. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/...miles-1468450/
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Some nice options on that jeep. If you're careful with the skinny pedal you'll most likely be fine. Couple of thinks missing for running 37s is upgraded brakes, even better rotors and pads would be a good thing. A lot guys with 37s who off road add ram assist steering or at least upgrade the steering the box. What type of off-roading do plan to do? If it was near me, and I as in the market, I'd take a hard look at it.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Some nice options on that jeep. If you're careful with the skinny pedal you'll most likely be fine. Couple of thinks missing for running 37s is upgraded brakes, even better rotors and pads would be a good thing. A lot guys with 37s who off road add ram assist steering or at least upgrade the steering the box. What type of off-roading do plan to do? If it was near me, and I as in the market, I'd take a hard look at it.
That Ram steering how much does that run? And i do Moderate level stuff i guess nothing too ridiculous.
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota123 View Post
...But then again can you just add long arms to the savvy Currie kit? Seems like it would be the best of both worlds if you did so. But then again not even sure if thats possible.
What makes Savvy / Currie kits so appealing is not it's suspension geometry, but it's quality of components. There are long arm kits that use JJ link ends, however the frame mounts need to be cut off and relocated. There are advantages of a longer link and thus reducing the angle as long as the correct geometry is used, I'm not convinced most off the shelf long arm kits offer the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota123 View Post
And it does have the upgraded chromolly axle shafts in it. Are the chances of breaking something really that easy even with the upgraded shafts. Comming from a turdy 5 and a 30 i always thought the D44's were supposed to be real strong.
Strong enough to handle 35's locked, with a fair amount of abuse. 37's are a lot of weight and put a lot of torque on the shafts. It comes down to where you wheel and how you use the power.

That rigs looks nicely built, I didn't see if it had been regeared. The 42RLE needs at least a 5.89 gear to turn 37's IMO. The stock carrier and locker limits you to 5.13's.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 02:15 AM   #7
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post
What makes Savvy / Currie kits so appealing is not it's suspension geometry, but it's quality of components. There are long arm kits that use JJ link ends, however the frame mounts need to be cut off and relocated. There are advantages of a longer link and thus reducing the angle as long as the correct geometry is used, I'm not convinced most off the shelf long arm kits offer the latter.

Strong enough to handle 35's locked, with a fair amount of abuse. 37's are a lot of weight and put a lot of torque on the shafts. It comes down to where you wheel and how you use the power.

That rigs looks nicely built, I didn't see if it had been regeared. The 42RLE needs at least a 5.89 gear to turn 37's IMO. The stock carrier and locker limits you to 5.13's.
Thanks thats good to know! and I'm guessing he has not re-geared since he still has the stock carrier
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hard to imagine that he spend the money on Currie and MetalCloak and did not re-gear, but he doesn't list it. So check that out. You could always sell the 37s and put 35's on it.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast
Hard to imagine that he spend the money on Currie and MetalCloak and did not re-gear, but he doesn't list it. So check that out. You could always sell the 37s and put 35's on it.
Yeah that is true. That is what i will probably end up doing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.