Looking to purchase a 04-06 Rubicon Unlimited - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-17-2010, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
vonfeldt7

Looking to purchase a 04-06 Rubicon Unlimited

In a few months I will be ready to purchase a Jeep Wrangler. I will be off-roading occasionally, but it will also be my DD. I'm looking for an 04-06 Unlimited Rubicon with relatively low miles (as in 50k or so).

I'm hoping to spend around $15k, but I know a more realistic figure would be closer to $20k. Preferably I would want the manual, but if I find one that I like and has an auto, how bad are they (I've heard bad things about Jeep autos).

Does anybody have any suggestions/tips? Things I should look for before purchasing, things I should be aware of, etc, etc. Any help would be great, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Phreak480
2006 LJ Wrangler 

definitely think closer to your $20k mark unfortunately. (or at least over here in the northeast that is reality)

i got a sweet 06 lj rubi automatic with dual tops and 37k miles for 19,950 (before taxes, etc) from a dealer in Massachusetts

i had a manual in my 04 tj before and i like my auto now much better. being it will be you DD definitely get 1 that hasnt been majorly modified by someone (no lift kits etc, bumpers and such are ok) that way at least you know any major mods are done right by you or someone you trust.

sorry for poor typing just had surgery on my wrist earlier today so am drugged and 1 handed
post #3 of 9 Old 02-17-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
vonfeldt7

Okay sweet, thanks. So you haven't had any problems with the auto?

And ya I would never buy anything but a stock Jeep (lesser chance of being torn up/something done incorrectly that way).

post #4 of 9 Old 02-18-2010, 12:15 PM
commodore_dude

2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you check the TJ forum there are a lot of complaints about the 42RLE, I haven't had any problems myself, but then mine is babied and only has 31k miles on it. Sure it's not as great as the AW4 in my XJ was, but whatever. I'll just find something fun to swap in if it goes out

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom
post #5 of 9 Old 02-18-2010, 10:54 PM
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I don't mind my 42RLE, I will tell you it likes to be in OD and the OD is too high .069, but if geared properly for the tires it works find, I live in flat lands and have 33s and I have no complaints, if you were in a hilly area with 32s or larger you would want to regear, or lock out the OD. If you lock out the OD 3rd gear will lock up the torque converter when you get up to speed, which lowers the RPMs, just like OD does, but with out going to the OD which would probably lower the RPMs another 500RPM and out of the power band. I would not look past the auto there is really nothing wrong with it IMO, and there durability is fine as long as they are taken care of, meaning check and change fluid on schedule. Also Rubicon LJs are only available in 05 and 06, they were not available in 04 which was the first year of the LJ. 05 and 06 is also when Jeep made the switch to the 6spd manual. Transmission is really a preference choice, until you get into extreme rock crawling where the auto will over take a manual. Also the breather tubes for the auto are high up and out of the water, unlike the the previous 32RH auto.

Max

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
post #6 of 9 Old 02-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Painbow6
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just FYI, they only made unlimited rubis in 05-06. If someone tries to sell you an 04 rubicon, they are a liar and a thief. <-- oops rogue spear beat me to this punch

I personally think the LJ rubicon is the finest jeep ever made. You have good taste.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-20-2010, 10:59 PM
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Having owned an 05 LJ with the auto trans, I sold it 3 months later due to the auto. I hated it, period. Didn't have any problems with it, just didn't like the way it acted and the rediculous amount of OD it offered.

Traded it in on a 05 LJ Rubi Sahara. This one has the 6 speed. Love it. If you want the 6 speed don't settle for an auto. You'll hate yourself later. I knew I wanted a 6 speed but settled on the auto LJ because the price was right, $11,950. Wasn't worth it for me.

Scored the LJ rubi for 13,995 last March. Story is in my build thread.

Good Luck either way.

Marco

post #8 of 9 Old 02-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Noobicon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I got my 05 LJ Rubicon w/53,000 miles in December for about $17k out the door. Seen a few better deals pop up sence then, but that is how it always is. I dont think you should have a problem finding a good one for $17-18k or a very nice one for 20k. Mine is an auto and I dont mind it at all. Living in FL even when I go up to 33s I dont think I'll need to re-gear but from what I read any bigger then that and you will want to re-gear.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-22-2010, 11:44 AM
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

33's + auto trans = re-gear. You'll be very unhappy when in OD. I put 31's on my 05 w/3.73's and hated it. Put the stock GSA's back on and traded it in.

Marco

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.