Looking for a new Unlimited - Reasonable Prices - Rubicon or Not? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Looking for a new Unlimited - Reasonable Prices - Rubicon or Not?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
ken800

Looking for a new Unlimited - Reasonable Prices - Rubicon or Not?

Ok, I'm not new to Jeeps, but I haven't had one since an Early model TJ. I've had 3 YJs and 2 TJs... I'm looking to go back to the world of offroading again as I love it, but I need to take a long a special needs child and a small portable wheelchair. That means a 4-door without question. That limits me to a JK. So, here are my questions:

What is a reasonable price to pay for an 07-08 JK with a hard top? I'm looking to start something with low miles - 40K or less - so I have some longevity in it. I'm strongly leaning toward an automatic. Is it a better idea to get an X or Sport and do a little building or get a Rubicon and just drive it as is?

Essentially the off-roading will be light to moderate so 33s or 35s with a very mild lift will be more than sufficient. 33s and lockers will do quite a bit, but with the longer wheelbase, I might want to go a little bigger to help reduce the high-center possibility.

Thanks in advance.

ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would want to know if the 07/08 has an oil burning issue. Some of these years seem to be using all the oil up with in the 3-5 k range leading to failure if not checked alot.

Power level of these years and more if a auto, gear changes are in most cases a must. at 35"s for sure.

4d do need more lift and tire to not do the beached whale. Its a very long wheel base and the belly hanges down about 3 inches from the rails.
The skid for the tank on all Jk's gets a real work out.
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

If you want <40K miles, you will most likely be looking at 09 and up (likely 10 and up) or else paying a premium for low mileage.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
If you want <40K miles, you will most likely be looking at 09 and up (likely 10 and up) or else paying a premium for low mileage.

Hoss
Pshh for a JKU you're going to be paying a premium regardless. They hold their value despite the fact that every Tom, Dick, and Harry has one.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
ken800

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
I would want to know if the 07/08 has an oil burning issue. Some of these years seem to be using all the oil up with in the 3-5 k range leading to failure if not checked alot.

Power level of these years and more if a auto, gear changes are in most cases a must. at 35"s for sure.

4d do need more lift and tire to not do the beached whale. Its a very long wheel base and the belly hanges down about 3 inches from the rails.
The skid for the tank on all Jk's gets a real work out.
Thanks. I wasn't aware 07/08 had oil burning issues. I know the engine is a dog , especially with bigger tires. Ill have it re geared by Pyle brothers in houston as they do great work.

After reading about rub icons having an insanely low ratio in the t-case, that may not be the way I want to go...

Maybe a Sahara 09,then to get away from oil issues and keep cost reasonable? I will take it off road once a month or so and it will get a mild workout so I'm guessing ill have to go 35s with the long wheelbase...

Reasonable prices for an 09 Sahara hard top with under 45k would be what?
ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
Adam013085

$25k plus? All depends on the area. Try craigslist or autotrader and compare.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would go to Jeep Master's in Austin off of first before downtown. They did my regear and it turned out good. Bo is really cool and the guy that does the gears I think is Dewy which has been doing it 20 years. He had both my axles regeared within half a day.
Unread 05-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Most 07's and some 08 engines were made in Mexico which is why they either had oil consumption issue's due to weak oil control rings or you had spun rod bearings from poor machine work. Since that time Jeep moved the engine assembly back to Toledo once they realized Don Pueblo had no business building engines lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.