Looking for jeep groups and trails near Northeast / Northwest IL - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Looking for jeep groups and trails near Northeast / Northwest IL

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looking for jeep groups and trails near Northeast / Northwest IL

Hey all....

I've been jeepin' for a few years now and have found some very cool unofficial (legal) places for offroading and mudding but now looking to move to the next step and join a group or at least find out some info regarding other areas to go around my location.

My zip is 60084. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Dubuque Stumpjumpers are just over the river.
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm in the Palatine area and I'm planning to meet some guys at The Cliffs in Marseilles IL this Saturday, the 29th. Some guys from Great Lakes Jeep Thing are going and it's the monthly run for Down & Dirty Offroad. I've never done The cliffs or been out with either of these groups yet, should be a good time. They are meeting in the parking lot at 10:00am
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
Dubuque Stumpjumpers are just over the river.
hyperboarder - Thanks! The river is about 3 hours west from me but definately worth looking into! I'll be sure to get intouch w/ you if I decide to make a run out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Rubi-LJ View Post
I'm in the Palatine area and I'm planning to meet some guys at The Cliffs in Marseilles IL this Saturday, the 29th. Some guys from Great Lakes Jeep Thing are going and it's the monthly run for Down & Dirty Offroad. I've never done The cliffs or been out with either of these groups yet, should be a good time. They are meeting in the parking lot at 10:00am
Red-Rubi-LJ - You are 20 minutes away from me... I'm in Wauconda 60084. I'll save you as a buddy and keep in touch for future runs. Unfortunately I can't play right now since I'm keeping the jeep clean and soaking bolts to prepare to install my RC 3.25" lift labor day weekend

It's great to know there's a group right here! I'll look into it!

Let me know how the trip goes and pass along some pics if you don't mind.

Thank you again!
Unread 08-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like the cliffs are a lot of fun! But it's going to be a 2 hour drive for you guys! Good luck and have fun and don't forget pics =)
Unread 08-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
hyperboarder - Thanks! The river is about 3 hours west from me but definately worth looking into! I'll be sure to get intouch w/ you if I decide to make a run out there
I'm out in 2 weeks, so I doubt we'll ever wheel together (I'm headed back to the mountains), but it's a bunch of John Deere employees. Not sure if they have a website, but I'm sure you could get ahold of someone.
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
ChicagoYJ
Yes, I Understand!

1989 YJ Wrangler 

B2CARPEN,
I'm from Chicago and me and some of the guys and gals I hang with are going to the Cliffs on Sept. 26 if you're interested let me know. Might be like ten or more of us.

There's also the Badlands in Attica IN.

As far as IL. goes not really any official places to wheel in except the Cliffs. Unless you know somebody with private land that gives you permission to wheel in. Well Chicago area anyways.
ChicagoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Theres also Hannibal rocks couple minutes south of Hannibal, MO. Flat nasty is a little further south in MO. At Hannibal they have WErock, RRock competitions and XRRA has once i think. But they have a play area and many trails mild to body damage guaranteed. Great place and people. Other that the above thats already listed, We just hit the gravel until we find a creek and drop in and wheel it. I'm not one for deep water, But usually i can go around or up the banks. Legal or not i dont care and neither do the police or farmers as long as they know your going to be there and dont tear up anything in regards to farm land and crops. Around here "tread lightly" is pretty much a joke. They closed the only park in Iowa, So now they have to deal with it. We have some private land we use once and awhile, But that gets old after a few runs. Good luck, Cliff's, Badlands, Hannibal, Flat nasty are all great places.
Unread 08-26-2009, 02:25 AM   #9
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Im here in Wauconda too. Right off Bangs lake not sure if you've seen my Jeep its kinda a weekend warrior. If you ever do stop my and say hi.

Edit: looks like I got the pic. Mines the only one I've seen in the area with tube fenders
Unread 08-26-2009, 07:29 AM   #10
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

B2CARPEN,
Good luck on the lift install. Down and Dirty is having a meeting in MT. Prospect on the 19th I might check-out. I'll try and get a few good shots, take some pics of your lift install too.

ChicagoYJ,
I like your avitar, you should have that made into a sticker, I'd buy one. I'd be interested in joining you for the run on the 26th, if that ok?
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

hyperboarder - Well the mountains sound a lot better then IA LOL.. thanks again for the info!

Chicago YJ - Thank you for your info and invitation! I have heard great things about the bad lands since I have a few friends that head out that way a couple times a year. It's a little bit of a hike but well worth it from what they told me. I'm very interested in joining you and Red-Rubi-LJ for the Sept 26th run to the cliffs. Perfect chance to test out my new lift! I'll get in touch as that time approaches. Do you know if a CB is required? Can I pick up a trail flag at the cliffs? Thank you again!

KKiowaTJ - Sounds like IA has a lot of "back yard" wheeling... it's the exact same up here in northern IL. There's only a couple places to ride where the locals don't mind and it's not much to it. The wheelin' pics I have in my galary are all from private land which the owners don't care if we're out there as long as we don't damage anything. Thanks again!

Rebel442 - I live in crestview right before the forest preserve and I have seen you around town before. Not sure if you have ever seen me around before but I'm either complete clean and waxed or completely caked with mud! Not too many muddy jeeps out here if you know what I mean. Shoot me a PM and I'll stop by and say hi sometime! If you ever want to make a local run let me know.. it's no badlands or anything but still fun. Also let me know if you are interested in making the run to the cliffs on the 26th with Chicago YJ and Red-Rubi-LJ and I'll head down there with you.

Red-Rubi-LJ - Thanks brother! I'm more then excited to get the extra 1.5" of lift and replace my 2" BB w/ worn out springs! I'll be taking plenty of pics while my buddy and I work on the lift as well as before and after pics. I'll let you know how it goes and I'll keep in touch!

Thank you all again! I'm really looking forward to heading out and meeting some of you in the near future!

Unread 08-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
roadsuk
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
Theres also Hannibal rocks couple minutes south of Hannibal, MO. Flat nasty is a little further south in MO. At Hannibal they have WErock, RRock competitions and XRRA has once i think. But they have a play area and many trails mild to body damage guaranteed. Great place and people. Other that the above thats already listed, We just hit the gravel until we find a creek and drop in and wheel it. I'm not one for deep water, But usually i can go around or up the banks. Legal or not i dont care and neither do the police or farmers as long as they know your going to be there and dont tear up anything in regards to farm land and crops. Around here "tread lightly" is pretty much a joke. They closed the only park in Iowa, So now they have to deal with it. We have some private land we use once and awhile, But that gets old after a few runs. Good luck, Cliff's, Badlands, Hannibal, Flat nasty are all great places.
I don't want to get too far off topic but there are clubs in Iowa working to try and get an off-road park going and the "Legal or not i dont care" attitude is what gets the public's attention so it makes it harder to move the process along whether or not the farmers or Police care. You might not be tearing up the farmer's land which is good but you are screwing up the rivers and river banks and people see that.
Tread Lightly is "pretty much a joke" to you people who go around destroying the land and ruining any chance the rest of us responsible wheelers have at an Off-Road park. Besides the fact of putting crap like that on a public forum so the rest of the country will think we all have the same stupid thought process as you do is another giant step backwards. Thank you for that and please stop before you completely screw up all the work the responsible wheelers are trying to accomplish in our state.

Now back to the program.
roadsuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsuk View Post
I don't want to get too far off topic but there are clubs in Iowa working to try and get an off-road park going and the "Legal or not i dont care" attitude is what gets the public's attention so it makes it harder to move the process along whether or not the farmers or Police care. You might not be tearing up the farmer's land which is good but you are screwing up the rivers and river banks and people see that.
Tread Lightly is "pretty much a joke" to you people who go around destroying the land and ruining any chance the rest of us responsible wheelers have at an Off-Road park. Besides the fact of putting crap like that on a public forum so the rest of the country will think we all have the same stupid thought process as you do is another giant step backwards. Thank you for that and please stop before you completely screw up all the work the responsible wheelers are trying to accomplish in our state.

Now back to the program.

All the work? I dont see anything in Iowa but a couple "club farms" that are small. There was 600 acres but was shut down and givin to the atv and dirt bikes. There are many people who wheel same as i do, There are also the people who drive through fields for no reason. I highly doubt the "public" is going to make it down the creeks and trails we go. How is it harming them? No worse than the flooding we have been getting, It causes more harm than me going 5mph through it. There has only been a couple times that we could follow out tracks from last time out, So i highly doubt it hurting them. My jeep also dont leak any fluids, If it did loose something, No worse than what i have watched farmers dump into it, On top of their pesticide run off. I'm not making it any worse than you are making it better. I built my jeep to wheel, And thats what I'm gonna do with it, Its not a street queen. The people around where i wheel have no problems, Cops have no problems, Looks like you are the only one who does.
One of the things in tread lightly is stay on trails, Well if theres no trails to stay on, Guess you have to cut some. If i have permission of the people who count, As in owners of the land, Then its not illegal nor hurting the sport at all. I hope you dont think our group just up and decides to drop into a creek we have no idea who owns it, As thats not how we go about it. Everyone has their own opinions, I would rather be wheeling than wait for never for a public off-road park in Iowa.
Unread 08-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #14
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

As well as the private property I ride on... one area I ride the owners call the cops on anyone that goes back there... but I contacted them and asked if they wouldn't mind if I could ride on their land and they were more then happy as long as I ask ahead of time, get their permission, let them know when I'm leaving, and stay on the trails. I think getting the "ok" from the owner is more then enough to be completely acceptable.

We run into this problem with not only jeeps, but also ATVs, dirt bikes, and snowmobiles. It's all a matter of respect.
Unread 08-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #15
roadsuk
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
All the work? I dont see anything in Iowa but a couple "club farms" that are small. There was 600 acres but was shut down and givin to the atv and dirt bikes. There are many people who wheel same as i do, There are also the people who drive through fields for no reason. I highly doubt the "public" is going to make it down the creeks and trails we go. How is it harming them? No worse than the flooding we have been getting, It causes more harm than me going 5mph through it. There has only been a couple times that we could follow out tracks from last time out, So i highly doubt it hurting them. My jeep also dont leak any fluids, If it did loose something, No worse than what i have watched farmers dump into it, On top of their pesticide run off. I'm not making it any worse than you are making it better. I built my jeep to wheel, And thats what I'm gonna do with it, Its not a street queen. The people around where i wheel have no problems, Cops have no problems, Looks like you are the only one who does.
One of the things in tread lightly is stay on trails, Well if theres no trails to stay on, Guess you have to cut some. If i have permission of the people who count, As in owners of the land, Then its not illegal nor hurting the sport at all. I hope you dont think our group just up and decides to drop into a creek we have no idea who owns it, As thats not how we go about it. Everyone has their own opinions, I would rather be wheeling than wait for never for a public off-road park in Iowa.
Easier to b*tch about it then to do something about it, eh?

Yes all the work. Do you belong to a club or the Iowa 4-wheel Drive Association? There has been extensive work done to try and get a park like lawyers, the DNR and many other numerous people that are putting in countless time and money trying to get something so people don't cut their own trails since there isn't any already as you point out. You would know this if you were involved instead of not being happy about no place to wheel. One of the biggest obstacles getting an off-road park besides the right land is the public's perception of the off-road community.
You can't convince me the way you wheel is smart and you never will just as I can't convince you of what I think is acceptable so keep on playing in the rivers with the farmer's runoff and have fun. You do know that dumping anything in rivers is illegal so just because they do it doesn't make it ok for you too tear it up also? When there is an off-road park in Iowa please remember it didn't just happen suddenly, alot of people have worked hard for it for quite some time now. Best to you.

To be clear, I have no problem with wheeling with permission on private land

Last edited by roadsuk; 08-26-2009 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: add more
roadsuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.