LoD Expedition Tire Carrier Follow-Up... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > LoD Expedition Tire Carrier Follow-Up...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Finulanu
2003 TJ Wrangler 

LoD Expedition Tire Carrier Follow-Up...

I just finished up installing my LoD Expedition Tire Carrier.
Anyway, thought I would give an overview of the carrier and address some things about it that could be potential serious problems.
I'm halfway dissapointed with it and I'm also impressed. The look of it is absolutely killer and the powdercoating was great right out of the box. No major dings or scratches either.
As far as installing it..the instructions were fairly poor. It also didn't tell you how to install the latch at all (not that it was extremely hard to figure out, it would have just been nice).
I was also severly dissapointed when I started driving my Jeep down the road as the carrier rattles a lot when going over any bump or dip, but the tire is very secure on the carrier and the latch is tight.

There is one problem that I can see being VERY serious with it. I guess this is the new re-designed carrier and you don't have to adjust the rubber bump stops on your tailgate. Well, the carrier makes no contact at all with these rubber pieces on your tailgate, thus meaning that the ONLY contact between your tailgate and bumper is the ONE rubber piece they give you that bolts on the back of the bumper and makes contact with your tailgate when you shut it. I can clearly see this as potential damage to the body if this rubber piece is accidentally slammed into your tailgate, because all of the weight from your tire is right behind it!! Also vibrations and rattling would make me think it would rub the paint off and slowly dent the gate. I'm probably going to have to make modifications to something so that something else is flush against the gate when closed. Sorry I have no pics as my camera has been broken for a while now and is been raining pretty hard lately.

Hope this helps anyone looking into this carrier/brand. Maybe someon else has the same rubber bump stop problem as me? How you fixed it? Don't know but thought I would just give my opinion on it.

Finulanu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
jackbauersmom
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i have the same carrier and it has absolutely no rattles. what part is rattling for you? the tire has to be right against the swing frame, as it creates a so called suction. as for the rubber stop damaging the tailgate, of course it will dent the tailgate if you slam it shut. i have no dents, but the rubber stop does flatten down a bit after time.

indyORV
treadlightly
jackbauersmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
Finulanu
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think you are the one I was going to pm because you posted a pic of your carrier when I started a thread about LoD carriers and that I was looking into getting one. The tire is flush up against the frame...its hard to explain without pics but I believe its the piece that the tire is actually centered on thats rattling. Its coming somewhere from where the tire is sitting on. I would absolutley love this carrier but the rattling is going to drive me to insanity one day...any thoughts on what might fix it?? You are the only one I know on this forum that has this bumper haha.
Unread 06-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
jackbauersmom
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i will take some pics of mine and post them up some time when i get home from work tomorrow so that you have something to compare.

indyORV
treadlightly
Unread 06-03-2009, 01:18 AM   #5
Finulanu
2003 TJ Wrangler 

K sweet thanks.
Unread 06-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
jackbauersmom
2006 LJ Wrangler 

sorry, totally spaced i was supposed to get you pics. better late than never.

here is how tight the tire should fit against the a frame.

latch mechanism

back of carrier

proper adjustment of rubber stopper leaves about a 1/4" before latch is secured! (this might be where you are getting your rattle from)

finished product

indyORV
treadlightly
Unread 06-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
Finulanu
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Its all good, but thanks a ton for the pics. The rubber stopper on mine can't be adjusted any further but it is at about 1/4" right now, its pretty close. I think what the main cause of the rattling is the fact that there is nothing flush up against the gate on the ride side of the carrier (the whole carrier on the right side is not tight enough). I might call LoD and see if I can order another rubber stopper and drill some holes on the right side of the carrier and bolt it on there. That way the carrier will be more tight, hopefully terminating the majority of the rattling. You suppose my idea would work?
Unread 06-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
jackbauersmom
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i have never heard of any of these carrier's rattling. i doubt the rattle would be from the hinge side, but it is hard to tell without listening to it. just give chris at lod a call and see what he says.

indyORV
treadlightly
Unread 06-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
BiGEN
2007 JK Wrangler 

i have one on my 07.. and no rattles but from the hi lift jack...

VAJeepTrailDogs
[/color]
BiGEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
ecdriver
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You received instructions??? What instructions??
I ordered/installed mine in March. Considering how much the carrier cost, I was a little disappointed overall. When installing the bumper itself, the rt side lower mounting tab wouldn't line up with the Factory TJ hole. I thought WTF?? so I took a square to all the TJ frame work to make sure all was square.
Turns out the tab on the bumper was welded on cocked. Had to take a BFG and pound it into alignment. That cracked all the pretty powdercoat for sure! The frame tie ins were way off, wouldn't lay flat against the frame rails. Again, got out the square to make sure all was right with the TJ. of course it was the tie ins, They are on, but its not pretty, going to see if the Rokmen(?) tie ins will work. I guess quality control was optional that day!

Few other issues with the mounting of the tire to the carrier. Would like to see some rubber plugs in the accessory mounting holes to keep out water, dirt, etc. until your ready to mount stuff. The pivot pin for the carrier is open to the elements, would like to see a cap of some sort to keep the garbage out of the grease.
Overall, made it work but wouldn't recommend for the price you pay.
ecdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #11
BROTHACRAIG

Bolt in brake lights for the lod tire carrier

Does anyone know where to find the bolt in brake lights that go with the expedition series tire carrier/rack? Ive seen it in a couple pictures, and some websites list it as *optional add on* but can not find it for sale. Also it looks like it ties in with the jerry can mounts for strength? Appreciate it!
BROTHACRAIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.