To lock on the wheels, or to not lock on the wheels? That is the question. - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 02-12-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Crackerjack4u
1999 TJ Wrangler 

To lock on the wheels, or to not lock on the wheels? That is the question.

Hi folks,
I'm a newbie to the Jeep world. I have my spare sitting in the garage for the moment, but plan to put it on the back of my Jeep Wrangler soon.

I'm curious to find out what those of you who have driven a Jeep for years think about the wheel locks with the keys. Are these worth the money, or just something else to cost us more money, and cause us more problems along the way?

We will be towing our Jeep behind our RV to various areas, and if we don't use the wheel locks on the spare we will probably just put a cable lock on it, but the other tires won't be locked, unless we use the wheel locks, or something on them.

Is the spare the main one at risk of being stolen? LOL In our small KY town there's not a lot of Jeep wheel thieves lurking around, but I'm sure in the bigger cities we'll be traveling to that it could be possible. In our little town we could sit the tires out front, and they'd still be there a month from now, and might have 2 or 3 more added to them by a neighbor, but unfortunately not everywhere is like that. I know we won't stop a thief if they want them, regardless of what we do, but making it a little more difficult for them is the plan.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thank You, and Have a Wonderful Day!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-12-2017, 04:24 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

While I do run wheel locks, I think the reality is that they do very little. Wheels and tires are not the kind of the thing the casual thief takes IMO. And the locks are fairly easily removed by a variety of methods (read threads about people who've lost their keys) that anyone who has put any advance thought into and really wants the wheel/tire it isn't going to slow them down.
post #3 of 22 Old 02-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Its much faster to take the Jeep than to take off the wheels

post #4 of 22 Old 02-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wheel thieves carry the tools needed to defeat wheel locks. Tire shops use the same tools to remove wheels when the owner has lost their wheel lock key.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-12-2017, 05:11 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

All it takes is a ratchet, an impact socket and a hammer to get past them. Slows em down by a few seconds at best.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #6 of 22 Old 02-12-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Crackerjack4u
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you all for your responses. I guess we will mark those off the list of things to buy, and just keep on keeping on the way we have been.
Jerry Bransford and DoIt like this.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-12-2017, 06:19 PM
toximus
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I assume sizes 35" and up probably get stolen less often due to being harder to sell off (less people buying).

I recently switched over to wheel locks despite my locale having a nearly 0% theft rate of that type. It was only because McGard was going to charge me more if I bought single nuts at a time vs buying a kit. Honestly, if I'm taking a tire off I'm probably doing a bigger job of some sort (or rotating) and taking the key out too isn't that big of a nuisance.

Building the right way and rolling out in late 2018.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 Old 02-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

For the spare, your best bet is a cable/padlock or nut lock (not locking lugnut) setup.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #9 of 22 Old 02-15-2017, 07:16 AM
rsurran
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had to get my spare repaired once and forgot to tell the tire shop where the key was. They just went in the glove box and got it because that's where most people keep it. So if I'm a tire thief I'm going to break into the cab and get the key from the glove box first. No big deal. Key bolts are still on but only because they came with the Jeep.

2005 WK, 5.7L, Gold, Leather
2003 TJ 4.0L Freedom Edition, Flame Red, 5 spd., CAI, Warn, stinger, Hella/KC trail lights.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
post #10 of 22 Old 02-16-2017, 09:29 AM
toximus
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The instructions that came with my McGards even say to store the key in the glove box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 22 Old 02-16-2017, 06:44 PM
OlYellerTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I keep the wheel lock on my spare. Yes, I know it won't stop or even really slow down a determined thief but It will deter the casual or opportunistic malcontent. No, I don't keep the key in the glove box, and no I'm not telling where I keep it. ;-)
YMMV, and invariably will...

Ol' Yeller TJ
This message is composed of recycled electrons. None of the electrons was harmed or injured in the creation of this message but they have been shamelessly exploited for this use.
post #12 of 22 Old 02-16-2017, 07:50 PM
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I will be removing my wheel locks. What finally changed my mind to order none locking ones was that I had to have an ABS wheel sensor replaced, which I had the dealer do.

Well they took the wheel off, which had a wheel lock and replaced the sensor. I then picked it up and started driving out of the parking lot and heard rattling, which I stopped, and found that the locks had not been tightened. Stupid thing ever, but obviously the service guy just forgot to get the key to finish tightening the lugs! I can see that happening, and thankfully the wheel didn't fall off. So when I next rotate the tires, the locks will come off...

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport -

2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer -

"Civilization is what old men manage to salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. -- Don Colacho

post #13 of 22 Old 02-16-2017, 07:56 PM
toximus
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
I will be removing my wheel locks. What finally changed my mind to order none locking ones was that I had to have an ABS wheel sensor replaced, which I had the dealer do.

Well they took the wheel off, which had a wheel lock and replaced the sensor. I then picked it up and started driving out of the parking lot and heard rattling, which I stopped, and found that the locks had not been tightened. Stupid thing ever, but obviously the service guy just forgot to get the key to finish tightening the lugs! I can see that happening, and thankfully the wheel didn't fall off. So when I next rotate the tires, the locks will come off...
I hope you went back and told them so. This is the kind of thing they should know to learn from.

post #14 of 22 Old 02-17-2017, 05:19 AM
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toximus View Post
I hope you went back and told them so. This is the kind of thing they should know to learn from.
I did... the service department manager claimed it's the first time that he saw that in his 30 years. Lucky me! As said, the dumb wheel locks just took that extra step, and as everyone has stated, they really are worthless.

Some guy that has a YouTube auto repair channel mentioned that one of his top five gripes in the shop is looking for the key on cars with wheel locks. (haha)

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport -

2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer -

"Civilization is what old men manage to salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. -- Don Colacho

post #15 of 22 Old 02-18-2017, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Crackerjack4u
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you all for the info I really do appreciate it.

Kruzin- yes I will go with one or the other of the things you mentioned. I'll look at both options and then decide from there.

I agree that the glove box isn't the smartest place to keep the key either. LOL But I do think OlYellerTJ needs to let us all in on the best secret key hiding place though. .

grogie-that's some scary stuff there, and it sounds like you got mighty lucky.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.