LJ vs JK....opinions needed! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > LJ vs JK....opinions needed!

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #1
pizzle
2008 JK Wrangler 

LJ vs JK....opinions needed!

Ok, let me start by saying that I really, really love my LJ. Wife has commented that maybe a JK Unlimited would be cool b/c it would be less of a pain to load/unload rear passengers (ok...fine.....KIDS!) and allows for 5 passengers instead of 4.

So, my dilemma is whether or not to sell my LJ and get a JKU. My LJ is only mildly lifted (2" BB), running 32's. I have a new 1" BL that I still need to put on. Overall, I'm really happy with the LJ. My love of the LJ coupled with the fact that production numbers were (relatively) low for them, I'm having a hard time deciding to sell it. Also, it's pretty easy to work on. Not sure if the JK's are more difficult or not.

After reading about some of the JK shortcomings (namely with the automatic transmissions), I'm hesitant to jump on the JK bandwagon. I'm amazed at how many friggin automatics there are out there, but relatively few manuals for sale in the JKU. I don't want to leave the JKU stock.....I think they look weird. But with a 4" lift and 35's, they look more like a Jeep (to me). But getting to those specs will require some additional cash on top of the JKU purchase.

So, does anyone have any opinion one way or another which they'd opt for if given the choice?

Thanks in advance for any help/opinions. I appreciate it.

pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
will228
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Keep the LJ for now at least. In the next few years there are going to be some major improvements mainly HP with the new Pentastar V6. 2011 already got the new revamped interior but still has the 3.8 gutless. From what I've heard the Pentastar is going to have upwards of 300hp. Wait for it.
will228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My main concern with the LJ is the CPS wear issue. Might be worth it to trade before it becomes an issue.
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
pizzle
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
My main concern with the LJ is the CPS wear issue. Might be worth it to trade before it becomes an issue.
Is this a sensor issue, or a mechanical one? Isn't the CPS the Crankshaft Position Sensor?
Unread 10-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
will228
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah its a pretty simple fix...
will228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
pizzle
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzle View Post
Is this a sensor issue, or a mechanical one? Isn't the CPS the Crankshaft Position Sensor?
Nevermind....just found lots of stuff regarding this issue. Looks like a real mess. Guess I'll be checking into this very soon. Thanks for the heads-up.
Unread 10-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzle View Post
Yes it's the Crankshaft Position Sensor. It's a mechanical issue where great wears and can eventually affect the oil pump drive.
keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
lax22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Having owned JK unlimited and now an LJ, I say stay with the LJ. My JK was an auto, and so is my LJ, but i had trans issues from day one and i bought it off the lot with 20 miles on the od. Heat went out on the way home from the dealer, in Jan, and it had body panels that were thiner than a beer can. I really wanted to like the JK but after being stranded 3 times with trans problems its hard to look back. It had under 4k on the od when i unloaded it after a year of ownership because i went back to driving my TJ so at least i had reliable transportation. I am very happy with my 04 LJ and got a great deal on it. Only wish it was a manual like my TJ was. I havent had any issues with the CPS wear but may look into it deeper just to be safe.
Unread 10-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
edmond
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a built LJ so I am keeping it, but having a new daughter (7 months)...has made me start thinking about the JK (4door). it would be SOOO much easier to get her in and out.... IF I do sell my LJ it would only be to get the JK with the new Pentastar engine, if I didn't have so much $$$ in my LJ, I would have to sell it to get the JK... the JK makes more sense when you have a family and young children (IMO)..

SOLD -2006 LJ, 38" BFG's on KMC Beadlocks, Sway-A-Way coilovers, FT LA, D60 ProRocks,ARB's,Rock Hard Cage, Prestige Billet Products Etc..
edmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nah. The two doors are fine.
superj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
Painbow6
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
Nah. The two doors are fine.
lol^

I would also say to wait a couple years if that is an option for you. The 3.8 in the jk's is absolute crap and I still cannot believe jeep would do such a thing to the magnificent 4.0. Hopefully the Pentastar will right some of the wrongs, but I'm personally holding out untill a diesel option emerges.

I've heard rumors of Land Rover testing a new diesel for the new defender platform that may make it to America... Jeep better get one here first because if Land Rover gives us Defenders again and a diesel, then sorry Jeep but I'm switching sides.

2004 LJ- 35's and stuff
1978 Land Rover Series III- Winston, you will be sorely missed.
Painbow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Any of the new v6 engines are crap. We had a liberty and lost the motor at 120kish and all my friends with the 4 door wranglers complain about them. Plus I have been reading they are kicking the bucket way early also
superj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
pizzle
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies everyone. One thing I like about the "old platform" is that it's pretty simplistic in design and allows for easy maintenance/tinkering. The JK seems to be more refined, but I'm worried that with the refinement comes a more complicated design. I'm also disappointed to hear that they've cut corners with respect to the sheet metal. I guess they did it to save weight (and money.....for them)?
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax22 View Post
I am very happy with my 04 LJ and got a great deal on it. Only wish it was a manual like my TJ was. I havent had any issues with the CPS wear but may look into it deeper just to be safe.
I don't think the 04s had the cps issue. They had the older design cps.
keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #15
pizzle
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yea....this CPS issue has had me reading the forum for the past 3 hours! I'm freaked out by it. Stopped by the dealer on the way home and of course they said my VIN wasn't affected by the TSB. Still not feeling all that great about it since there are plenty of folks outside the range of dates specified in the TSB with the issue.

Wife said to just sell it and get a JK.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.