LJ Unlimited v. LJ Rubicon Unlimited - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > LJ Unlimited v. LJ Rubicon Unlimited

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #16
aussie1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Some of you are crazy to think a rubi 6 speed needs to be regeared for 33s, but that's your opinion. Coming from a rubi Lj owner, yes my opinion may be a little biased, but it is totally worth the little extra when it comes to the upgrades. I have owned 4 other jeeps in my life and have spent tons of money on axles, lockers, compressors, Trannys, and everything else and it is better to skip all the bs and just buy a rubi. Especially how rare the rubi Ljs are getting they will hold the value if you are dumb enough to sale it. So yes the rubi Lj is worth it. That's my $.02

Way of Life!
aussie1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #17
themadhatter
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamc View Post
That extra $2000 is cheap compared to what it would cost to turn a regular LJ into a Rubi.

Lockers $1600+
Gears and install kits $500+
4:1 kit $1100+
Labor $2000+

Plus with the 44s you can gear lower than 4.88.
that is exactly why I went with a Rubicon over any other Wrangler. The factory goodies are hard to pass up over the cost of doing them through aftermarket accessories. I would have loved to find a LJ Rubicon for the extra room but they aren't found for sale often enough.

I have a problem modifying my vehicles, coming 'out of the box' with nearly everything already done and done right is hard to over look.
themadhatter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #18
UnlimitedMatt
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My LJ Rubicon also came with a transmission skid plate and gas tank skid plate. I don't know if it all Rubicons have them, but that could also help justify a higher price.

One thing on gearing, both my dana 30 in my XJ and my dana 44 in my LJ have 4.88's, and the sheer size difference is amazing. I would think that makes the dana 44 center section much stronger.
2005 Unlimited Rubicon, Sahara Edition #556, Colorado Jeep Club Member #556
Rusty, if you are reading this, I am still waiting for my $249 refund from 06/2010. Pm me for my address to send the check. Thanks!
UnlimitedMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #19
themadhatter
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedMatt View Post
My LJ Rubicon also came with a transmission skid plate and gas tank skid plate. I don't know if it all Rubicons have them, but that could also help justify a higher price.

One thing on gearing, both my dana 30 in my XJ and my dana 44 in my LJ have 4.88's, and the sheer size difference is amazing. I would think that makes the dana 44 center section much stronger.
I could be mistaken but don't all wranglers have those skid plates? My YJ had them and I believe that the transfer case skid plate acts as the support for the transfer case as well.
themadhatter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #20
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie1 View Post
Some of you are crazy to think a rubi 6 speed needs to be regeared for 33s, but that's your opinion.
I agree. No way I would re-gear for 33's, just not necessary. Now with the 35's I've considered a regear but dropping down to 5th gear gains 500 rpm, which gives the same rpm's as 4.56's in 6th gear, so I'm just livin' the rubicon dream.

I gladly paid the difference for the rubi after having a 05 LJ auto. It was worth the difference just to get away from the auto O/D trans.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 11:54 PM   #21
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedMatt View Post
All LJs, rubi or not, came with that gas tank skid, and all auto LJs, rubi or not, came with that transmission skid.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #22
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie1 View Post
Some of you are crazy to think a rubi 6 speed needs to be regeared for 33s, but that's your opinion. Coming from a rubi Lj owner, yes my opinion may be a little biased, but it is totally worth the little extra when it comes to the upgrades. I have owned 4 other jeeps in my life and have spent tons of money on axles, lockers, compressors, Trannys, and everything else and it is better to skip all the bs and just buy a rubi. Especially how rare the rubi Ljs are getting they will hold the value if you are dumb enough to sale it. So yes the rubi Lj is worth it. That's my $.02
Starting from the last comment, I'm counting on someone being dumb enough to sell theirs. I'm used to having to regear with 33s, which is why I'm asking. Then again, I'm coming from XJs with 3.55 gearing on the AW-4 auto transmission. That's why I'm asking in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadhatter View Post
that is exactly why I went with a Rubicon over any other Wrangler. The factory goodies are hard to pass up over the cost of doing them through aftermarket accessories. I would have loved to find a LJ Rubicon for the extra room but they aren't found for sale often enough.

I have a problem modifying my vehicles, coming 'out of the box' with nearly everything already done and done right is hard to over look.
This nicely sums up many of the comments in this thread, and really helps narrow things down in my mind. I'm really leaning toward the '05 and '06 LJ Rubi, according to cars.com there are two for sale within 30 miles of me and 78 nationwide. There are 378 LJs in the same group though...
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.