Limited Funds...what would you do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Limited Funds...what would you do?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 02-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
adamjgb
2014 JK Wrangler 

Limited Funds...what would you do?

I've got about $600 to play with and I am looking to do some mods to my 2012 Wrangler (pic included). Among my options are:
  • Lift
  • Offroad lights
  • Front bumper

I don't want to replace the tires, so if I get a lift, I would keep it as is. When the tires have enough miles on them, then I would invest in some good wheels and tires.

If I get offroad lights, I would want some lights mounted near the A pillars on the front and a couple of lights mounted in front of the grill.

My question to the community is whether this is doable with $600. Keep in mind, I am not handy at all, so I would probably take somewhere to get installed and I know I have to take into account labor costs.

jeep.jpg

adamjgb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Jared89
2011 JK Wrangler 

What are you going to be doing with it?
Unread 02-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

$600 and not doing the work yourself I'd say the lift is probably out. It all depends on what you are doing, are you going for function or looks? Are the off road lights something you plan to use? If so, then go for those. You could probably do the lights and the bumper for under 6 bills if you're willing to do some of the work.
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A lot of good quality front bumpers for the JK run around $400 or more. My suggestion is keep the $600 and keep saving until $3k then do it all.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Look on your local area for craigslist. I found my bumper for a couple hundred, and the winch i traded an rc car for. Lights I would recommend, you can always use those.

I got some Rigid industries lights, very good quality.

Unread 02-18-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
ben_badassjeeps

I would sell the chrome steps (maybe all the chrome?) and get a set of good rock sliders. #1 they'll double as a step so your significant other won't complain and #2 it'll protect the Jeep where it needs it the most. You'd be surprised what your stock Jeep can do, but as is the your side is probably one of the most vulnerable points.

I did the Genright rocker guards on my 4 door and couldn't be happier... There were a few times where I had to lean the weight of the Jeep on the plastic side steps and it wasn't pretty. Not only were the steps mangled, but I had some tub damage that needed to be covered up too.

Although the Genright rocker guards are a little over your budget, there are other good options too.

You could go with these sliders from RiverRaider and it'll give you the same overall function and protection. It'll fit your budget too.

The RiverRaider sliders are $636.99, but we've got a 10% off sale going on right now which will put them under budget.

Would be happy to help you out. Just let us know.
Phone: 778-435-2169
E-mail: ben@badassjeeps.com

Use the coupon code: "jeepforum2014" for a 5% discount on all of our Currie Enterprises, Genright Offroad, RiverRaider Offroad and RCV Performance Gear!
ben_badassjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #7
BEETROOT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice Jeep but yeah...first and foremost find a way to get rid of all that chrome.

After that I'd buy some Rigid cubes and mounting brackets. If you aren't wheeling it you don't need a lift or bumper.
BEETROOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 12:48 AM   #8
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

only $600?

Start saving your pennies. It's a Jeep.

However, I'd buy the item you need the most first. Then go from there.

Bug-Out! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/b...build-1568531/

I don't always go topless, but when I do I go Commando!
wilgeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 01:05 AM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared89 View Post
What are you going to be doing with it?
This is correctly placed as the first response. $600 can be a drop in the bucket or a pretty good chunk of change for gas.
Unread 02-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #10
adamjgb
2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all of your responses. As far as use goes, it is my daily driver to and from work. On some weekends, I take it to the Coast for fishing. No heavy off-road wheeling, but I do live out in the country with no street lights around, so it can get pretty dark out here. I knew I would get some grief about the chrome. I'm probably in the minority here, but I like it.
adamjgb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #11
715racing
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think the white looks great with the chrome! From the grille to the steps to the wheels to the rear light guards, it all ties in very nicely.

For $600.00 ish, I would think you could get a 1.5" to 2" spacer lift and a set of windshield piller lights installed. Then maybe add a fishing rod holder to the front, and you're all set. One of these...http://www.quadratec.com/products/92038_10_07.htm
Might have to give up the lights, or even the lift. Maybe get the lights and rod holder? Lift can always come later...I think you would use the lights and rod holder more right now.
Unread 02-20-2014, 11:54 PM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The first thing you should do is spend the $120 for AAA
Unread 02-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #13
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Save up a little more and buy a YJ to use for wheeling, They are Cheap, and Plentiful, Inexpensive to build, and easy to work on
Unread 02-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #14
Williamlv282
2010 JK Wrangler 

Since I firmly believe that the stock bumper is the ugliest thing in the history of Jeep, I would replace that. The problem is keeping the price low. $600 won't get you very far at all, even without labor. You'd have to look at very cheap or used bumpers and they might not provide the look you want. The look you have right now on the Jeep isn't bad. I think you pulled off the chrome somehow. Having that silver strip in the middle of the bumper is a good accent to the rest of the design. If you ever needed something like a winch I would replace the bumper but if you don't see a need for it, I'd leave it alone.

Since you're not wheeling it hard like some of the other Jeeps on here, I would suggest just leaving it the way it is and adding subtle modifications towards your hobby to make your life easier. If you like taking it to the coast to fish, maybe add something related to that hobby, like rod holders on the roll bars or something. Definitely get the extra lights if you think you need them. I know a lot of states have laws against the lights being in use on a street though. Most people only use the lights on a trail or when they're parked. You could use the rest of the money on tackle and bait!

A really important mod to think about may be recovery equipment. I've only been (badly) stuck twice in my Jeep, and both times I was on a beach. A good recovery method could definitely help you out later. I got my Jeep stuck right as the tide was coming in and I had to have a Chevy Silverado pull me out. It was an embarrassing experience and I almost lost my Jeep to Poseidon!
Williamlv282 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #15
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

I strongly recommend you take the lift off your list. It really sounds like you don't need it. I also live in the country and recommend the lights. I use mine angled out a bit to see deer just off the road. A new steel bumper may save you time and money if you do indeed hit a deer. If you're needing the lift to get to your favorite fishing hole then by all means, but I feel lifts are wasted money for a lot of Jeepers who just want to look taller.
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.