lifting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > lifting

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Bushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 10-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
centexryan

lifting

I have a 2005 jeep wrangler unlimited. Its got a 2.5 inch lift already but I want it higher. If I buy 2 inch coil spring spacers will I have to buy anything else or can I buy the spacers and put them on as the jeep stands?

centexryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Are you going to remove the old 2.5 inch lift? Or are you wanting a total of 4.5 inches of lift? If that's the case you'll need a lot more... Changes to your driveline angle mean an SYE and CV driveshaft, adjustable control arms to change pinion, new shocks, longer brakelines, new track bars, possibly new track bar brackets. I'm sure I'm forgetting things.

If you're looking at just swapping out the old 2.5 inch lift for a 2 inch you'll be just fine. If you're looking to add 2 inches... There's going to be a significant investment.

Here's another thread that is already going to give you an idea: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/su...-kits-1670113/
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

yes, and do not do that.

if you really want to, then you would have to do everything that goes with a 4.5" lift. control arms, sye, cv driveshaft, new shocks, front and rear track bars, etc, etc

if you are going to go through all of that, why not get 4" or 4.5" springs

what is your goal for the jeep, type of wheeling, max tire size, and budget?
Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
centexryan

Well I'd like to have a 4.5" lift so I can put like some 37" bfg at's or trail grapplers and also 1.5 inch wheel spacers so the tires will fit
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
centexryan

Budget is fairly limited pay check to pay check kinda thing
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

you need to do a lot more than just adding a bb to run 37's, and it isnt budget friendly

if you have a d44 in the rear, thats a good bonus. if its a d35, its axle swap time

stock brakes, steering, axle shafts, wheelbase, ujoints, and several other things are not ideal for 37's

can it be done, yes, will it be safe and reliable, no
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
centexryan

Ok so if I just lift it 4.5 inches and leave the tires that are on it "31.5" will it be reliable? I dont want to lift it anymore if it wont be reliable
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexryan View Post
Ok so if I just lift it 4.5 inches and leave the tires that are on it "31.5" will it be reliable? I dont want to lift it anymore if it wont be reliable
that depends if you are using quality parts or not. to do a 4" or higher lift, you'll need a sye and cv driveshaft, new control arms, and front and rear track bars, longer sway bar links, longer brake lines, new shocks, etc

just throwing some pucks on top of the springs isnt going to do it
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
centexryan

Ok so what would you recommend? What type of lift? It currently has an oldman emu but that wont matter if I need to buy new everything
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexryan View Post
Ok so what would you recommend? What type of lift? It currently has an oldman emu but that wont matter if I need to buy new everything
why? whats wrong with your current lift? what are you trying to accomplish? budget? what are of the country do you live in? how often do you get off the pavement?
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
centexryan

Well I get off pavement everychance I get rock crawl, mudding, trails, creeks etc. Nothing is wrong with it I would just like it taller. Im an avid adventurer I love being outside and my jeep takes me where ever just want it a little taller
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
dadkinsemt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

OME is a high quality lift. Honestly, don't think you should mess with it. Look at doing some body lift and belly up. You will clear 33's and be a very capable vehicle. Look at Unlimited04 build. He runs that lift and belly up and is one of the best vehicles I've ever seen. Looking to do something like that to my LJ.

37's is a money pit of a jeep. On a budget, 37's is not recommended.

05 LJ rubicon
14 JKU, wife's
Colorado jeep club #274

My build in progress
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-2146889/
dadkinsemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

so whats holding you back as of now?

id imagine its your diffs and skid.

you could do a 1.25" body lift and throw some 33's on it. you could also look into a tummy tuck, but that requires more work. its not necessarily getting the top of the jeep up higher, its getting the bottom of the jeep higher that is truly important
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
dadkinsemt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Seems like ironhead and I agree.

05 LJ rubicon
14 JKU, wife's
Colorado jeep club #274

My build in progress
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-2146889/
dadkinsemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
centexryan

Man you guy's are extremely helpful. A 1.25" body lift how and cost? Also what is a tummy tuck im a new jeep owner had it for almost 6 months so I guess not to new. But what is a tummy tuck?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.