Lift or welder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Lift or welder

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
baldeagle1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Lift or welder

I got $ for my b-day. Question is would yu buy a new mig welder or a lift? heres a little info. I have an old stick welder 220v. I also have a BB lift at the present and dont have much time to wheel it. It is my only vechicle and is mostly on the road. I do weld quite a bit, and I have only $450.00. If I buy a welder it will be a clarke 190 mig 220volt with a cart. If I buy a lift it will be a 3.75 rc combo lift. What do yu think? Thanks for the advice

baldeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

buy a welder, but not a Clarke....buy a Miller, Hobart or Lincoln.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just conside that the US division ff Clarke went bankrupt and is out of business. Repair parts, if needed, may be hard to come by. Customer support may also be non-existant. That being said, I haven't heard very many bad things from current Clarke welder owners.

When I saw your thread title I thought you were debating between a welder or a lift for your shop. I thought "must be a really nice welder or a really cheap lift"

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I personally would go with a welder, IMO having a welder opens up more possibilities than a lift kit, you can make stuff for the jeep with the welder and with the welder you can make money (weld for your friends, co-workers, or anyone who needs welding), also a correctly set-up lifted jeep is going to cost more than just the initial price of the lift.

Go with the welder
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would go the welder! Money must be from mom or dad ( if still present) not the X?Nice you got money at that age...I try to not acknowledge birthdays anymore!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
baldeagle1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

At what age do yu mean? LOL
I do have an old stick(tomestone) welder that I use. Just would be nice to have a mig.
baldeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
05JGC
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Welder. If your not going to wheel your rig, no point in raising it any besides the looks aspect. As stated you can really get good at the welding for 10 bucks a roll and some scrap metal from the junkyard and start making new things for you rig such as winch plates, front and rear bumpers or cargo racks.
05JGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
GodsRollerskate
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
buy a welder, but not a Clarke....buy a Miller, Hobart or Lincoln.
Miller mig with $450.00?
GodsRollerskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
jeeptrash
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well if you really want some new springs i have rough country 2.5" springs sitting in my garage. I ran them for six months and decided to go bigger. Yours for $100 + shipping.
Unread 05-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
GodsRollerskate
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You should look into the hobart 140. A used one including gas will fall into your price range.
Unread 05-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsRollerskate View Post
Miller mig with $450.00?
heard of craigslist?

i got a Hobart Handler 140, with a full bottle of gas and spool of wire, for $350.
Unread 05-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
GodsRollerskate
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
heard of craigslist?

i got a Hobart Handler 140, with a full bottle of gas and spool of wire, for $350.
.....and that's not a miller. Craigslist you say? I live on there and that's where I got my Hobart Ironman 210 from (in the picture below). He would only be so lucky to get a miller stick with his $450 limit.

Unread 05-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsRollerskate View Post
.....and that's not a miller.
miller and hobart are owned by the same company. and my hobart, as well as yours, share a lot of components with miller.

deals are out there...you could find a millermatic on craigslist for $450, just have to be patient and make offers. maybe not a 252 autoset...but there are other models out there....
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #14
SFT2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Warning: Voice of reason approaching (why is it that I have to keep breaking character and doing this?)

Save it. You can get a small, light duty welder for $450, and you have a lift that's sufficient for your use (though I'd get those springs for $100). Some extra cash in the bank is a good thing to have when you're looking at Jeep stuff, drunk, at 3am and find some widget you HAVE to have RIGHT NOW!!!

Of course chemically altered computer use is what made me do tires, wheels, and gears in that order...
SFT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #15
GodsRollerskate
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
miller and hobart are owned by the same company. and my hobart, as well as yours, share a lot of components with miller.

deals are out there...you could find a millermatic on craigslist for $450, just have to be patient and make offers. maybe not a 252 autoset...but there are other models out there....
They are owned by illinois tools work. The less powerful machines are very similar. You may find some of the components in your hobart are actually stamped miller. It's when you start playing with the big toys is when miller dominates, and hobart initiates the pull out method. When it comes to the hobbiest's you are pretty much paying for the name. If you see a complete Miller mig ready to weld for $450.00 let me know. Im sold.

btw.....I own a Miller, Lincoln, and Hobart.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.