Lift laws: state by state - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Lift laws: state by state

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-27-2005, 11:05 AM   #1
kaybone
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lift laws: state by state

Hey I just happened to find this. I thought it might be a useful read:

http://www.customtruckshowcase.com/laws/StateLaws.html

http://www.truckworld.com/How-To-Tec...lift-laws.html

Gun Metal Blue Jeep Club Member #99
kaybone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
KWAG

I live in Jersey and those are not enforced here in my town How about people in other states?
KWAG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
wherndon
What the hell?

GA could care less.
They only care about emmisions, and that's just in the Atlanta metro area.
'05 Rubi, Patriot Blue, RE SF, Antirock, Warn, Fabtech, Tomken

wherndon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So what is a Wrangler in the eyes of the STATE OF CALIFORNIA?

California recognizes two vehicle types, and "Jeep" is not an available selection:

"Passenger Vehicles" are limited to frame height (defined as the top of the frame) or body floor height (defined as the lowest part of the floor) of 23". As of 3-13-05, all SUVs are "Passenger Vehicles" regardless of GVWR.

"All Other Vehicles" including "housecars" (aka RV's) and trucks, are allowed to be higher:

Up to 4,500 pounds GVWR .......... 27 inches
4,501 to 7,500 pounds GVWR ..... 30 inches
7,501 to 10,000 pounds GVWR .... 31 inches

I would say that up until March 13, my Rubicon with a GVWR of 4600 lbs could have legally been 30", and the Wrangler SE/X/Sport were limited to 27 inches with GVWR of 4450lbs. But now I am limited to 23" as are all other Wranglers.

Comments?
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2005, 03:26 PM   #5
Slimer

New York could care less. There's riders out on the road with 35"+ going right by our police. I have a link somewhere to NY's lift regulations and it's more about headlights and tail lights. When getting it inspected I would worry more about emissions in NY.
04 X - 5sp - 2" Skyjacker w/ hydros - Homemade Discos - Jeeperman Rear bumper w/Viking Shackles - KC Slim Fogs - KC Slim Long Range with windshield mounts - OEM tow hooks - Navman GPS - Mini phantom LED blue light - Cobra CB - ArizonaRockyRoad CB Mount - 4' Firestik 2 - 8 ball shifter - Husky floor liners - Neoprene seat covers - Pioneer DEH-7700MP Deck - Infiniti Kappa 5.25" - Infiniti Refrence 4x6" plates - Bestop Bikini/Windjammer/Deck Cover
Slimer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Added to the FAQ

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2005, 04:14 PM   #7
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

If the body or truck-bed height is altered, the difference in height between the body floor and/or the bed floor to the top of the framerail can be no more than 4 inches. got that from ohio laws who would do 4" bl? on any truck or jeep, but indiana has worst no more then 3" from stock, how crappy
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2005, 04:30 PM   #8
IlliniJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think indiana's law is a joke. My brother goes to Purdue University and there are a bunch of locals in his frat that frequent Badlands ORP in Attica, IN and... we'll just say... they are much higher than 3" above stock

As for good ol' Illinois? I'm not sure. With my last lift mods I'm still just shy of the 26" mark... I think it's like 25.75" And that's with the winch mounted
Unread 06-27-2005, 08:01 PM   #9
D`Nyed
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserJeep
I would say that up until March 13, my Rubicon with a GVWR of 4600 lbs could have legally been 30", and the Wrangler SE/X/Sport were limited to 27 inches with GVWR of 4450lbs. But now I am limited to 23" as are all other Wranglers.

Comments?
Yes, In California the jeep is an SUV and all SUV's have been recongized as a passenger vehicle, this didn't change recently... on the site referenced they updated the information on that date to be correct. However, I don't think there's hardly any cops that either know the frame height restriction (I didn't till now) or who would be anal enough to stop somebody for their jeep frame being too far off the ground.

I've never stopped anybody for their frame being too high however I did stop a jeep with a unknown lift running 38's for his headlights violation.. not only were they too high off the ground and pretty much aimed straight ahead instead of at a downward angle but I was certain he was using high powered lights in it as well which blinded me oncoming at him from a half mile away... he was cool about it, apologized and promised to get some normal 55 watt headlights and reaim them better for his lift and I sent him on his way..

I saw him a week later driving past me headlights were reaimed and light output seemed normal... and I noticed he had 2 new lights on his front bumper.. I guess I just gave him an excuse for more mods lol

Also, I *think* that the SUV classification goes away when the SUV reaches 6000lbs then it becomes a truck classification regardless of if it's a SUV or not.. but I'm too lazy to check my vehicle code right now
D`Nyed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #10
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

To Kaiserjeep

Quote:
So what is a Wrangler in the eyes of the STATE OF CALIFORNIA?

California recognizes two vehicle types, and "Jeep" is not an available selection:

"Passenger Vehicles" are limited to frame height (defined as the top of the frame) or body floor height (defined as the lowest part of the floor) of 23". As of 3-13-05, all SUVs are "Passenger Vehicles" regardless of GVWR.

"All Other Vehicles" including "housecars" (aka RV's) and trucks, are allowed to be higher:

Up to 4,500 pounds GVWR .......... 27 inches
4,501 to 7,500 pounds GVWR ..... 30 inches
7,501 to 10,000 pounds GVWR .... 31 inches

Comments?
Just to let you know, this only applies to vehicles built after said date. I know my reply may be a little late, but there is such thing as no expost-facto laws meaning your Jeep will be grandfathered into the old statutes.
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #11
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Nice find. A thread from 2005 lol.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

thanks to bringing an old thread to life, I got more information I didn't have before...thanks...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.