Lift height help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Lift height help!!!

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 12-03-2011, 04:59 AM   #1
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lift height help!!!

I apologize in advance but... I can't locate the answer on the forum. There are a million posts in the xx tires and xx lift sticky but not this one.

I have a few thou to spend this winter on my totally stock 1995 4 cyl YJ. Rocker panel stock height is 18", my YJ is about 17 3/8". I guess this means the springs have settled or sagged 5/8", but the front springs look almost flat.

How would I know in advance how much lift a 2" BDS lift will give me? I've read quite a few examples where a 2" lift will give more than that due to spring sag. Can I assume the 2" BDS lift will give me 2 5/8" total lift?

A local dealer quoted me $600 for a 2" and about $700 for the 3 1/2 BDS lifts if I install it. I plan to run 33" tires after the lift and I'd like it to be lcog.

Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Stock YJ springs are nearly flat from the factory.

I'd go with a 2" lift and 31" tires until you can afford to put a better rear axle in it and re-gear.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Stock YJ springs are nearly flat from the factory.

I'd go with a 2" lift and 31" tires until you can afford to put a better rear axle in it and re-gear.
I'm going to disagree with Xpress on this. It makes no sense to buy a 2" lift and then spend the money again later on a taller lift. You pay $600 for the 2" lift today and then sell it a year from now for $200, then you buy the 3.5" lift for $700, you ended up paying $1100 to get the lift you probably wanted in the first place. If you are wanting to run 33" tires at some point go ahead and get the 3 1/2" lift. You will be fine with your stock rear axle. Just don't beat on it to hard.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

go on a shell out the extra 100 for the 3 1/2 lift. if you plan on running 33s a 2" lift may not suffice without shackle lifts, BL, etc. 3 1/2" will give you the room to run them.
Unread 12-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

In the top pic there is a small rusted out hump on the underside of my frame. Is this the bump stop?

Second pic is a shot of my front passenger springs.
img_0751.jpg   img_0745.jpg  

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
Unread 12-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i'm putting 2in BDS springs in my rig here shortly to lower it down form 5 inch springs. curently on 33s and i see no issues running 35s on 2in springs. you have the right idea keep it low. if the tires rub its nothing a good cut off wheel or saws all cant fix
1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongrave View Post
i'm putting 2in BDS springs in my rig here shortly to lower it down form 5 inch springs. curently on 33s and i see no issues running 35s on 2in springs. you have the right idea keep it low. if the tires rub its nothing a good cut off wheel or saws all cant fix

When you finish, please post before and after pics on the thread sticky How will my jeep look with xx" tires on x.x" of lift?.

I've been looking for a pic of a 2" BDS lift with 31's or 33's.

Unread 12-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorriver View Post
I apologize in advance but... I can't locate the answer on the forum. There are a million posts in the xx tires and xx lift sticky but not this one.

I have a few thou to spend this winter on my totally stock 1995 4 cyl YJ. Rocker panel stock height is 18", my YJ is about 17 3/8". I guess this means the springs have settled or sagged 5/8", but the front springs look almost flat.

How would I know in advance how much lift a 2" BDS lift will give me? I've read quite a few examples where a 2" lift will give more than that due to spring sag. Can I assume the 2" BDS lift will give me 2 5/8" total lift?

A local dealer quoted me $600 for a 2" and about $700 for the 3 1/2 BDS lifts if I install it. I plan to run 33" tires after the lift and I'd like it to be lcog.
I'll be honest, I think you're looking at only half of this. If you're set on BDS springs (great choice btw) then I would look at what height you want to end up and subtract from there. You're correct in assuming that the springs will settle (nit sag) to 2" over a couple weeks and you have saggy springs as is so rocker height will end up at 20". Then factor in the shackle lift if you want to clear the mil wrap and you're at 2.5" lift. From there you can start cutting away at the body to make 33's fit a little better. I would get the springs first, then measure for shocks after the springs and shackles are installed then massage the body to get the rubber to run comfortably.

It is also important that with as little of a lift as you have planned, to set your bumpstops accordingly. Most everyone focuses on lift and forgets about bumpstop height.
Unread 12-06-2011, 06:14 AM   #9
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I see that MORE lift shackles are greasable and I can get a set for BDS lifts. I didn't know these were needed for a BDS lift.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.