1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrblaine

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-21-2017, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
KOH car pool?

I am planning on driving down to King of the hammers from Salem Oregon. As of right now I am by myself, and I would rather drive with at least another rig. I'm flexible on when I can depart for KOH but I'm thinking around leaving around the 3rd, maybe earlier or later so I can see most of the event.

If anyone is interested in car pooling to KOH and is somewhere along the route of Salem Oregon to KOH, post up and let's get something figured out!

KOH 2017 or bust!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-22-2017, 09:08 AM
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a lot further away... it's on my bucket list to see KOH live. I just have to commit one of these years...

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Civilization is what old men manage to salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. -- Don Colacho

post #3 of 15 Old 01-22-2017, 11:39 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlaw View Post
I am planning on driving down to King of the hammers from Salem Oregon. As of right now I am by myself, and I would rather drive with at least another rig. I'm flexible on when I can depart for KOH but I'm thinking around leaving around the 3rd, maybe earlier or later so I can see most of the event.

If anyone is interested in car pooling to KOH and is somewhere along the route of Salem Oregon to KOH, post up and let's get something figured out!

KOH 2017 or bust!
Bring some warm undies. The average overnight temp out there a couple of days this week is around 8 which is the coldest I've ever been out there in. It's going to warm up to 32 for the overnight low by the end of the month so that's good considering it won't get above that during the day for the next several days in a row.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.

post #4 of 15 Old 01-22-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Quote:

KOH 2017 or bust!
Bring some warm undies. The average overnight temp out there a couple of days this week is around 8 which is the coldest I've ever been out there in. It's going to warm up to 32 for the overnight low by the end of the month so that's good considering it won't get above that during the day for the next several days in a row.
I'm planning on it. Any other tips for camping out there for a week in a two person tent? I'm coming down with a full arsenal of every flavor of Campbell's soup they make lol

Still need someone to drive with though, parents aren't too thrilled about me driving 2000 miles by myself...
post #5 of 15 Old 01-22-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Also Blaine, or anyone else, what would you say the maximum safe rpm for the 4.0 with the 32rh, 4.56 and 33s would be for the 15+ hour drive to KOH?
post #6 of 15 Old 01-22-2017, 03:30 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm planning on it. Any other tips for camping out there for a week in a two person tent? I'm coming down with a full arsenal of every flavor of Campbell's soup they make lol

Still need someone to drive with though, parents aren't too thrilled about me driving 2000 miles by myself...
Get a tent large enough that you can put a tent heater in it. Bring money for firewood. Bring a couple of pairs of boots in case the mud gets worse. Bring a ground sheet to put in front of the tent to help deal with the mud. Bring money for food, they have a large concession area and some days after getting beat by the wind and the cold, it's nice to buy a hot meal and not have to cook.

When you get there, find someone that looks friendly that you can camp with. Hopefully they will have a shower. Bring an umbrella. If you're up on one of the hillsides in a spectator area and it starts raining like it has been the past few weeks, you will appreciate it. Fair warning, if you bring a golf umbrella that you can fit 3 people under, you will have two new best friends.

The closest market is 11 miles down the 247 towards Yucca. It isn't much of a market but it is closer than the 22 miles to Yucca which has everything. If you come in from the 15 side, fill up in Lucerne, if you come in from the Yucca side fill up at the market so you have a nearly full tank to run around out there all week.

Bring a portable camp chair with a carry strap. The main area is big and it is nice to kick back in a chair and watch the coverage of the race on the Jumbotron.

Go on the Ultra 4 website and look up the locations of the teams. There used to be several in the Washington, Oregon area that travel down to the event and you may be able to contact them and tag along.

It is nice to want to meet up with folks, the logistics of doing so pretty much suck. There is very little cell coverage out there and about 15,000 folks scattered over several hundred acres. You'll have better luck accidentally running into someone that you will doing so on purpose.
grogie likes this.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #7 of 15 Old 01-22-2017, 03:31 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also Blaine, or anyone else, what would you say the maximum safe rpm for the 4.0 with the 32rh, 4.56 and 33s would be for the 15+ hour drive to KOH?
32-3300 sustained.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #8 of 15 Old 01-22-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

Get a tent large enough that you can put a tent heater in it. Bring money for firewood. Bring a couple of pairs of boots in case the mud gets worse. Bring a ground sheet to put in front of the tent to help deal with the mud. Bring money for food, they have a large concession area and some days after getting beat by the wind and the cold, it's nice to buy a hot meal and not have to cook.

When you get there, find someone that looks friendly that you can camp with. Hopefully they will have a shower. Bring an umbrella. If you're up on one of the hillsides in a spectator area and it starts raining like it has been the past few weeks, you will appreciate it. Fair warning, if you bring a golf umbrella that you can fit 3 people under, you will have two new best friends.

The closest market is 11 miles down the 247 towards Yucca. It isn't much of a market but it is closer than the 22 miles to Yucca which has everything. If you come in from the 15 side, fill up in Lucerne, if you come in from the Yucca side fill up at the market so you have a nearly full tank to run around out there all week.

Bring a portable camp chair with a carry strap. The main area is big and it is nice to kick back in a chair and watch the coverage of the race on the Jumbotron.

Go on the Ultra 4 website and look up the locations of the teams. There used to be several in the Washington, Oregon area that travel down to the event and you may be able to contact them and tag along.

It is nice to want to meet up with folks, the logistics of doing so pretty much suck. There is very little cell coverage out there and about 15,000 folks scattered over several hundred acres. You'll have better luck accidentally running into someone that you will doing so on purpose.
Thanks for all that, more useful info than I've found anywhere else. Definitely have a few things to add to the list.

And 3200 is higher than I was thinking, now I might be able to even do 65 the whole way there...Lol hope I don't get run over by everyone else...
post #9 of 15 Old 01-22-2017, 05:01 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for all that, more useful info than I've found anywhere else. Definitely have a few things to add to the list.

And 3200 is higher than I was thinking, now I might be able to even do 65 the whole way there...Lol hope I don't get run over by everyone else...
When it is cold and wet as it has been in the past, getting back to camp and stuffing your cold wet feet into a nice thick pair of wool or wool blend socks is nice. I plan on 2 sock changes a day when it is wet out there.

You need layers of clothing. The weather is fickle and if you wear insulated underwear and insulated pants as I have in the past, it will invariably warm up enough to make you overheat. I take a normal pair of pants in the rig so I can swap out of the insulated ones. If the wind kicks up and it does frequently, it will be absolutely miserable so you need some wind proof clothing to wear over your other stuff. I carry a parka, a heavy insulated denim jacket, 3 various weights of sweat shirts, long johns, and denim shirts. I'll switch back and forth between the parka and sweatshirt throughout the day as the temp varies.

It seems obvious, but get several small LED flashlights or light sources of some kind and add to that a larger area light like a lantern. It gets dark at 4:30 and you will be doing all your camp stuff in the dark. If you have a Costco, get one of the 2 packs of the Coast 400ish lumen headlamps. They are cheap, phenomenally bright and have 3 brightness levels. Hands free lighting in the dark is awesome.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #10 of 15 Old 01-22-2017, 05:49 PM
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great information there. I've never been, and would love to go this year. Planning to make a solid attempt at it next year. Would love to be on the starting line, but there's very little chance of that happening.

It's not an addiction. It's a way of life.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-22-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
When it is cold and wet as it has been in the past, getting back to camp and stuffing your cold wet feet into a nice thick pair of wool or wool blend socks is nice. I plan on 2 sock changes a day when it is wet out there.

You need layers of clothing. The weather is fickle and if you wear insulated underwear and insulated pants as I have in the past, it will invariably warm up enough to make you overheat. I take a normal pair of pants in the rig so I can swap out of the insulated ones. If the wind kicks up and it does frequently, it will be absolutely miserable so you need some wind proof clothing to wear over your other stuff. I carry a parka, a heavy insulated denim jacket, 3 various weights of sweat shirts, long johns, and denim shirts. I'll switch back and forth between the parka and sweatshirt throughout the day as the temp varies.

It seems obvious, but get several small LED flashlights or light sources of some kind and add to that a larger area light like a lantern. It gets dark at 4:30 and you will be doing all your camp stuff in the dark. If you have a Costco, get one of the 2 packs of the Coast 400ish lumen headlamps. They are cheap, phenomenally bright and have 3 brightness levels. Hands free lighting in the dark is awesome.
Wool socks are definitely a must, I have about 20 pairs of socks, but none of them are wool. Planning on picking up some long johns and hand warmers too. Ive got a wide array of flannel jackets, rain jackets and a military surplus jacket for when it starts to poor. KOH kind of snuck up on me, I kept thinking I had several weeks before I need to leave and get school work done, then today I realize it's only about two weeks away lol.

As far as hands free lighting, I don't know if you have seen them or not, but I've had a zebra light for the last 4+ years and it is hands down the best small flash light I've seen. Granted I haven't looked into new LED lights since I have this, but it is crazy bright (about 1200 lumens), super small, runs for a couple hours off of one AA battery and is waterproof. I've beaten the heck out of it and never had a problem, even after a battery leaked acid all inside it. It also fits very comfortably on my head, not like other lights ive seen that feel like an empty whiskey bottle taped onto your forehead (funny story there...). Now I just need some more batteries for it

Here's the link
http://www.zebralight.com/H600F-Mk-I...amp_p_185.html

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

post #12 of 15 Old 01-22-2017, 07:53 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wool socks are definitely a must, I have about 20 pairs of socks, but none of them are wool. Planning on picking up some long johns and hand warmers too. Ive got a wide array of flannel jackets, rain jackets and a military surplus jacket for when it starts to poor. KOH kind of snuck up on me, I kept thinking I had several weeks before I need to leave and get school work done, then today I realize it's only about two weeks away lol.

As far as hands free lighting, I don't know if you have seen them or not, but I've had a zebra light for the last 4+ years and it is hands down the best small flash light I've seen. Granted I haven't looked into new LED lights since I have this, but it is crazy bright (about 1200 lumens), super small, runs for a couple hours off of one AA battery and is waterproof. I've beaten the heck out of it and never had a problem, even after a battery leaked acid all inside it. It also fits very comfortably on my head, not like other lights ive seen that feel like an empty whiskey bottle taped onto your forehead (funny story there...). Now I just need some more batteries for it

Here's the link
http://www.zebralight.com/H600F-Mk-I...amp_p_185.html
That's a nice light but you need a spare out there. Hand warmers are okay, but just that, okay. A good pair of thermal gloves is better. We have several hundred of the hand and foot warmers but they tend to just take the edge off and do little for your toes or fingers. The hand warmers work best if you keep a couple in a coat pocket and then wrap an ungloved hand around them.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #13 of 15 Old 01-22-2017, 08:41 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Socks hugely important! First year I was there for 3 weeks and had neither enough or the right kind. Messed my feet up something bad.

Also, make sure your sleeping bag is rated cold enough. Also made that mistake and ended up trying to pile coats and dirty clothes on top of my sleeping bag at night.

Romney in 2020!
post #14 of 15 Old 01-22-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
That's a nice light but you need a spare out there. Hand warmers are okay, but just that, okay. A good pair of thermal gloves is better. We have several hundred of the hand and foot warmers but they tend to just take the edge off and do little for your toes or fingers. The hand warmers work best if you keep a couple in a coat pocket and then wrap an ungloved hand around them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Socks hugely important! First year I was there for 3 weeks and had neither enough or the right kind. Messed my feet up something bad.

Also, make sure your sleeping bag is rated cold enough. Also made that mistake and ended up trying to pile coats and dirty clothes on top of my sleeping bag at night.
Very helpful stuff guys, my sleeping bag should be warm enough, my dad went through sort of a prepper phase so I've got a decent amount of camping/survival stuff. I'll make sure to get have some spare lights on hand and plenty of batteries.

As far as a tent heater goes though, any recommendations for a safe, inexpensive, small heater that would work for me by myself in a two person tent? I'm not expecting a stay at the hilton or anything, thinking the experience will far make up for being cold and dirty for a week haha.

Do you guys think it's necessary to bring a cooler? I was going to bring a friends yeti, but I don't know how much stuff I'll need to keep cold, and from the sound of it I could just leave it out in the Jeep and it would stay cold enough

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

post #15 of 15 Old 01-22-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
So far this is what I think I'm going to order clothes wise. I have 20+ other pairs of thickish socks I can burn through with these. These would be the only long underwear I have for legs, after that it's just jeans and a pair of waterproof/windproof rain pants. Then I have various flannels and rain jackets for my upper body, which I think should be fine. A couple beanies here and there too. Should I get a set of liners for the socks, or do those not help very much? I don't really have a ton of money to spend on winter clothes right now, especially since I won't need them again for a while, so I think this should get me by...

what do you think
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER x 2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3JMZ4EL52GCAP x 1

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.