Keep JK or get Tacoma - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 03-24-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
JeepPirate
2008 JK Wrangler 

Keep JK or get Tacoma

I know these are very different vehicles but I'm debating selling my jk for an 09 Tacoma 4x4 access cab sr5 manual. I've had some variation of a wrangler since 2001 (YJ TJ and JK). My wrangler is now a second vehicle because I have a company car for just to and from work but I only get to go to Uwharrie twice a year for off-roading and I think the Tacoma would be capable enough to go there. It'd be nice to have the bed for hauling my dirt bike and gear but I do have a 5x8 trailer that I pull behind my jeep for that. I think I'm just looking to do something different since I've had a wrangler for so long but I'm wondering how badly I'll miss the top down doors off riding this summer. If I got the taco I'd do 3" lift 33's and sliders and that be about the extent of my modifications. Has anyone had both vehicles to give any insight??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-24-2016, 10:44 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You've been on here longer than I have, so I'll just post this...

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #3 of 25 Old 03-25-2016, 07:00 AM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

I'm on my third TJ along with a CJ and I also have the Tacoma 2015 4x4 crew cab, auto. There is nothing like dropping the top on the TJ for some cruising and so much fun to drive. But for a long trip the Taco is the way to go and I can still barrel off the road any time I want. I do a lot of surf fishing and while the TJ is great for the drive, I just can't haul all the gear I want with out adding the cargo carrier, which gets to be a pain over and over.
Before I bought the truck, I had a 350Z and the TJ, so anythime I needed to haul something I had to hook up the trailer and that was getting old fast. I still have the trailer for hauling larger loads, but it sits for the most part. The convenience of the truck bed makes life a lot easier, it's always there.

post #4 of 25 Old 03-25-2016, 07:21 AM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ive gone back and forth, myself. Sold my LJ Rubicon to get a megacab diesel. I now have a YJ also cause i have to get the topless fix.

Get the tacoma and a YJ

91 YJ Sahara, 4.0L, AX-15/NP231, D30/D35@3.07
12 Cherokee 4x4,3.7L,42RLE/MP1522, D30M/8.25@3.73
Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #5 of 25 Old 03-27-2016, 12:38 PM
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've always had a truck and jeep plus the wife's car for comfort and economy. I sold my truck and toyhauler because I'm shopping for a diesel motorhome and flatbed to haul the jeep and toys. I'm already missing the truck, they are just so handy, but I can't imagine being without the jeep....ever.

92 Rene, 4.5 RE lift, Currie ARB D44, super 8.8 ARB

YJOTM. 12/15
post #6 of 25 Old 03-28-2016, 07:38 AM
wkndwarrior
Rubiclone Member

1997 TJ Wrangler 

sell jk and get a tj and beater truck for hauling.

i had cj's when wife and i were dating......got married,,,,had kids.....cj's gone.....got an xj passed down,,,,then had too many kids had to get 3rd row so xj gone.....after 15+ years out of a jeep wife had to have one again.....doubt she will be without one again....she has 3 other vehicle choices to drive (2 are newer than tj) and always chooses tj.....also have a 91 chevy 4x4 silverado p/u......not sure if we will keep the other vehicles forever, but don't ever see the tj or p/u going anywhere.

we use the p/u on a weekly basis for hauling something.....before that had the utility trailer and yes it got old hooking up and unhooking.

just my .02 tho

Quote:
like marco from trapoja said.......guuuud luuuk!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdabroxx View Post
If you believe Iran will be content with nuclear power but not weapons I have some dehydrated water to sell you.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-28-2016, 08:40 AM
avatr
2012 KK Liberty 

hold out for the new Wrangler pickup, coming 2017

2008 JK Rubicon - sold
post #8 of 25 Old 03-28-2016, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
JeepPirate
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. I technically could afford to have both since the jk is paid for. I just think the taxes insurance and maintenance for two vehicles may get old. It's also hard to justify considering the fact I wouldn't use either one to drive to work. I think I'll have to make the decision as its either one or the other. I am interested to see what jeep does in 2017 regarding the wrangler/wrangler pickup. A new one of either will likely be out of my price range though.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-28-2016, 09:53 AM
wkndwarrior
Rubiclone Member

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepPirate View Post
I just think the taxes insurance and maintenance for two vehicles may get old.
if they are older its not that bad unless you have a bad drivers history

Quote:
It's also hard to justify considering the fact I wouldn't use either one to drive to work. I think I'll have to make the decision as its either one or the other.
wife and i have 5 vehicles + my company vehicle.....i justify them by
3 are old: 91-97-98....
the 08 is a family truckster (expedition el),,,,,gets driven rarely, mainly just family vacations,,,has 25k on it and we bought it brand new.....
the 07 vw was my mothers and when she retired she gave it to us for our kids to share (only 1 is old enough to drive it currently)......

Quote:
I am interested to see what jeep does in 2017 regarding the wrangler/wrangler pickup. A new one of either will likely be out of my price range though.
would be out of my price range also, and i would get upset if i hauled stuff and scratched it .....with 91 truck another scratch...oh well......97 jeep tree branch scrape...nbd......

will say my dad recently got a tacoma and he loves it.......course he's never had a jeep either!

either way.....gotta fit your needs and justifications.....IF you do get rid of the jeep,,,,,,see you back here soon with "finally back in a jeep" thread

Quote:
Quote:
If you believe Iran will be content with nuclear power but not weapons I have some dehydrated water to sell you.
post #10 of 25 Old 03-31-2016, 11:51 AM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I know this is a jeep forum, but the Tacoma is a great vehicle.

Have you considered splitting the difference and going with a 4Runner? Those are absolutely fantastic.
post #11 of 25 Old 03-31-2016, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
JeepPirate
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the suggestion, my wife actually does have a 4Runner. I was thinking the Tacoma due to the added convenience of having a truck around. I really don't want to part with the wrangler though so I think I've decided that if I go that route it'll be an addition the driveway instead of replacing the jk.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-01-2016, 08:49 AM
wkndwarrior
Rubiclone Member

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, my wife actually does have a 4Runner. I was thinking the Tacoma due to the added convenience of having a truck around. I really don't want to part with the wrangler though so I think I've decided that if I go that route it'll be an addition the driveway instead of replacing the jk.
good thinking!

Quote:
Quote:
post #13 of 25 Old 04-01-2016, 11:23 AM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

why not go older with a hobby jeep? Grab yourself a CJ or YJ to reduce the cost of a 'fun' vehicle.

Those JK's are worth so much, even trade it for a Taco truck. Buy the CJ.
post #14 of 25 Old 10-16-2016, 07:47 PM
IAm1

I have a taco and I really miss driving a jeep. The taco is very reliable, but also boring. I am about to trade the taco in for a new wrangler.
I am just trying to decide if I should get. 2016 or 17.
post #15 of 25 Old 10-17-2016, 05:30 PM
Spank
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatr View Post
hold out for the new Wrangler pickup, coming 2017
Rumor has it the truck won't be available until 2018 as a '19 model, but regardless of such, the Wrangler truck will pale in comparison to the quality and longevity of a Tacoma. Chrysler and FCA have an excellent track record of launching new vehicles with a boatload of QC problems. You're gonna want to wait a couple years for them to shake out the bugs.

If you want a fun, capable, and reliable truck that you can tinker with, you absolutely cannot go wrong with a Tacoma.

'14 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.