Is it just me? PEAVES - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Is it just me? PEAVES

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
tydp
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is it just me? PEAVES

So, been looking in Craigslist (North East Texas) for a couple of months for a YJ for my son. I've discovered a few things that drive me nucking futs!.....CJs with holes cut in the dash for replacement speakers, radio antennas on CJs and YJs that are in the WRONG place (even saw a couple on the wrong side), Rhino lined on the OUTSIDE, and finally anything with a snorkel. Is it just me? Don't judge me!

tydp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
dodgethejeep

I don't agree with the other things you mentioned but some rino lining on the bottom parts of a jeep isn't a horrible idea as long as its not hiding rust holes.
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Aren't bad mods part of the Jeep experience? Cut corners and gitr dun!
jjvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
tydp
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
Aren't bad mods part of the Jeep experience? Cut corners and gitr dun!
Well.....true that!
tydp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
cjheap
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydp View Post
So, been looking in Craigslist (North East Texas) for a couple of months for a YJ for my son. I've discovered a few things that drive me nucking futs!.....CJs with holes cut in the dash for replacement speakers, radio antennas on CJs and YJs that are in the WRONG place (even saw a couple on the wrong side), Rhino lined on the OUTSIDE, and finally anything with a snorkel. Is it just me? Don't judge me!
a large number of CJs did not come from the factory with a radio so it was added later. As for the dash speakers, they were cut out and a surface mount installed due to lack of speaker choice and difficulty installing a speaker on the factory studs.
cjheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Properly done, surface mount speakers can look good. Properly done. The problem is that so many PO's hack stuff together and create a hidden nightmare for the next guy. It's much more than coincidence that Previous Owner and Pi**sed Off both start with the same letters.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What's wrong with snorkels?

It's a true cold air intake that keeps dust out in dry conditions and water out when the hurricanes hit!

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
stephen28
2013 JK Wrangler 

To be honest I had searched online high and low for a clean stock or tastefully modded yj or tj for months before finally deciding to just finance one off the lot.

Everything I looked at was either clean and they wanted a fortune for it
Rusty with 175k and still wanted a fortune for it
Or a 4cyl with 37s and bed lined welded and just plain awful and they wanted a fortune for it lol

I was however not willing to travel more than a few hours out of my area to buy something..
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with you, mods are fine, but not cutting on ,or ruining in any way a classic jeep body sux. YJ's don't need a cj dash ,or front clip. Just buy a cj and be done with it. Never butcher a cj dash when there's other options for a stereo. Most of all, you don't put a chevy V-8 in a jeep, or chevy anything. If you must have a V-8, then use an AMC 401, 390, 360, or at least a 304. If not AMC, then Chrysler, or ford. I say ford because ford built jeeps in the beginning and still do. Ford purchased willys overland of Brazil and still produces jeeps to this day down there. Chevy is not connected to jeep and the chevy engine swap has been done to death. I've owned 18 jeeps in my life and worked with what ever engine they come with. My current yj has a built 258 that screams, with gobs of lowend torque, doesn't need no stinkin chevy V-8. I know I will get flamed, but don't care, I'm a jeep purist. Instead of trying to make a jeep some thing it's not, just enjoy what it is, a small tough as nails no nonsense of road vehicle that can climb tree's if they can reach the first branch.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
cjheap
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
I agree with you, mods are fine, but not cutting on ,or ruining in any way a classic jeep body sux. YJ's don't need a cj dash ,or front clip. Just buy a cj and be done with it. Never butcher a cj dash when there's other options for a stereo. Most of all, you don't put a chevy V-8 in a jeep, or chevy anything. If you must have a V-8, then use an AMC 401, 390, 360, or at least a 304. If not AMC, then Chrysler, or ford. I say ford because ford built jeeps in the beginning and still do. Ford purchased willys overland of Brazil and still produces jeeps to this day down there. Chevy is not connected to jeep and the chevy engine swap has been done to death. I've owned 18 jeeps in my life and worked with what ever engine they come with. My current yj has a built 258 that screams, with gobs of lowend torque, doesn't need no stinkin chevy V-8. I know I will get flamed, but don't care, I'm a jeep purist. Instead of trying to make a jeep some thing it's not, just enjoy what it is, a small tough as nails no nonsense of road vehicle that can climb tree's if they can reach the first branch.
What a load.

Why would anyone put an outdated AMC motor in anything. The reason that the small block chevy and now the LSX motors are used is because they are great powerplants that are simple to mod and have better support than Chrysler.

As for the jeep CJ dash, they are a dime a dozen and since it is just flat steel, replacements are easy to come by. Anyone with a plasma table can download a free DXF and cut one out. Most of those CJ dashes were mangled in the 70's and 80's BTW. I guess you stil want to run a 8 track radio with knobs too.

BTW, my CJ would not do half what my stock LJ Rubicon will do. They were full of weak links from the d30 and AMC 20 to all the FORD electronics that AMC slapped on the 258.
Unread 07-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjheap View Post

What a load.

Why would anyone put an outdated AMC motor in anything. The reason that the small block chevy and now the LSX motors are used is because they are great powerplants that are simple to mod and have better support than Chrysler.

As for the jeep CJ dash, they are a dime a dozen and since it is just flat steel, replacements are easy to come by. Anyone with a plasma table can download a free DXF and cut one out. Most of those CJ dashes were mangled in the 70's and 80's BTW. I guess you stil want to run a 8 track radio with knobs too.

BTW, my CJ would not do half what my stock LJ Rubicon will do. They were full of weak links from the d30 and AMC 20 to all the FORD electronics that AMC slapped on the 258.
I don't know about that. My YJ on 31's with that supposedly weak 258 has gone places that stock 2-door Rubis wish they could go.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't hit a dog in the butt with a chevy motor. The best V-8's ever made came from the 60's and 70's, out dated my butt. All V-8's take the same speed parts to mod them, chevy isn't special. Cam, 4 barrel, intake and headers. All electronics were weak in them days and still got the job done. Were not talking stereo's, were talking jeeps. You can cut up your dash all u want, it's yours, just saying I don't. We have taken stock jeeps over the years in places where you couldn't drag a chain. If your a non operator, you would need a rubicon to enjoy your jeep off road. A rubicon is just parts, you can put them on your self, or pay the factory to do it. Where do you think jeep got the idea for the rubicon, from seeing what jeepers do to their jeeps. The 258 isn't weak, when it came out it had 150 hp and 240 pounds of torque, not bad for early 70's. It was the emissions equipment that left the 258 struggling to breath. My 258 doesn't have that problem. I installed a 470 holley 4 barrel, offy intake, rollor rockers, ported head, comp cam, header, HEI and MSD. It breaths way north of 200 hp with gobs of low end torque, I don't need a V-8. The AMC 20 is hardly weak, it just needs one piece axles and it's very strong. When jeep put yj's and cj's together, they were intended for 40" tires, or to try and climb boulders, it's called extreme for a reason. Have never had a problem from a D-30, most of us don't, that why we still have one. I knew some one like you would be a long to bash me for having a passion for jeeps and what they stand for. I'm a jeep purist, but not a prude, I love modding my jeeps. I just think we should leave enough of it so that it still is a jeep, that what we wanted when we purchased a jeep, a jeep. Not a blazer, GMC, or military duce and a half, but a jeep. That's all I'm saying and that's just my opinion, not law of the land. So chill the frick out !!!
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #13
cjheap
1985 CJ7 

You sure had to do a lot of work on that 258 for a measly 200 hp. The 5.3 Chevy in my 85 CJ is putting out 400+ on pump gas at any angle and the only mod is a computer tune.

Glad you like tinkering with carbs, someone has to keep holly in business.

As for the strength of a d30 and AMC 20, that is funny. I broke my 20 on a fire road in east Texas in 2wd and it cost as much to make a D30 half way dependable as it is to put in a 44 or 60.

I get it, you like stock ....but then brag about what all has to be done to beef up the inferior parts.

If I want a stock jeep that is tough to toodle around on fire roads and make all the old men giddy, I will find a stock Willis from WW2 and cruise down to the diner for the earlybird.
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That's hurt full, very hurt full. You missed the whole point, I love to mod my jeep. I just like keeping it looking and acting like a jeep. Where as you like having a chevy that looks like a jeep. If jeep is such junk to you, why not just wheel a chevy and be done with it? The AMC 20 is strong with one piece axles, but you can break an 8.8, d-44 and d-60 for that matter. I dare say most people on this site still have their d-30. Maybe it's not the jeep parts, but the 400 hp chevy motor you have to have. Then, some people can break cotton balls. I tinkerd with my carb once, 3 years ago when it was installed to dial it in. I run what I brung. If my jeep came with a carb, then fine, if it comes with FI, then that's fine as well. I've had jeeps with willys 4cyl, 2.5, 258, 4.0, 304, Kaiser 327, 360 and 401 and liked them all and used what jeep gave me with a few mods. The thing of it is, jeeps aren't race cars, they never were meant to be. A stock 4 cyl jeep will climb a tree and won't break parts doing it. Jeeps work just fine with out 400 hp. I figured you out, you just want a jeep body to throw your chevy junk into, you want a chevy that looks like a jeep. You could have a stock jeep and never break anything, or have 400 hp and break every thing, who's at fault, you or the jeep. I like a quick sporty jeep as well as the next person, that's why I love on my motors a bit and spoil them a few speed parts. 400 hp is way over kill in my book. The 258 makes peak torque at about 1,200 rpm's, that's like a diesel almost. We love low end torque for wheeling. What's the number one answer given when jeep ask how they can improve the wrangler? Give it a diesel for low end torque for off road. Not a 400 hp chevy engine, but a grunting diesel. Real off roaders know what's needed in the rough. To be clear, I'm in no way bashing everyone who has put a chevy V-8 in a jeep, I know it's a cheap way to gain some power and have some more fun out of their jeep. Just bashing people who bash jeep on a jeep forum and that wish their jeep was more chevy than jeep.
Unread 07-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #15
cjheap
1985 CJ7 

Funny that you claim to be a purist and are the one who started bashing people who like to build a better machine yet you admit that you had to modify yours to make it work.

FYI, I broke the weak AMC 20 with the stock 258 on a dirt road. That same 258 that had the crap-plastic leaky valve cover and trash carb. AMC seemed to have a problem with their own design too since they had to run a FORD ignition system and a CHEVY electrical system.

AMC never had an original idea. They were the manufacturer who went to the parts store and made a Frankenstein vehicle.

And then DC bought jeep and started throwing in drivelines from Benze, I guess you are all bunched up about that too.

What you really fail to admit is that the Jeep was never a purist vehicle. It was originally sold as a farm implement that had plow attachments. It is a utility vehicle that was modded to the end users needs .....From delivering mail, towing airplanes, hauling troops, plowing fields, plowing snow, fighting fires ect. A jeep is not a classic Ferrari that only had 200 made that should not be used.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.