Just figured out what the "Jeep thing" is... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Just figured out what the "Jeep thing" is...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
MysticGringo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just figured out what the "Jeep thing" is...

This "Jeep thing" is like dating a really really hot chick, who is crazy! Its alot of fun, you spend too much money, your up all night ending up sweaty & greasy from it, your friends are jealous, you get admission into some sort of weird club... but it gets mad at your for no reason, throws fits seemingly randomly, has unexplained issues which it somehow solves on its own only after you try a bunch of different things (and spend a bunch of money) to solve it... and yet you can't resist getting in it every chance you can.

I have had my jeep for 2 months, it was overheating, so I back-flushed the heater core (heat was weak), flushed the rad, changed thermostat (on the side of the highway, in the rain), and changed the waterpump. The heat was awesome, and I thought my issues were over. Then the heat got weak again... and it overheated this morning on the highway. It seems I am losing coolant somewhere... but can't find a leak (just got some dye to try), and there's no white smoke. And now, ofcourse, randomly, the heat is amazing.

Tomorrow I am going to replace every hose which wasn't replaced last time, pressure test the system, and hope I can find a leak somewhere.

I do love the jeep, but as the saying goes, no matter how hot that chick is, there's some guy somewhere who is sick of her ****!

MysticGringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

you left out the part where it cheats on you, gets pregnant and marries the other man.

at least, that's been my experience.
Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
Red_
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Are you loosing coolant? Or just over heating? Water pump could be dying, or you've got a ton of air in the system
Red_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
FL 4.0L

Keep checking that radiator...
Unread 12-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
cmichael1188
2006 LJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=MysticGringo;6142407]This "Jeep thing" is like dating a really really hot chick, who is crazy! Its alot of fun, you spend too much money, your up all night ending up sweaty & greasy from it, your friends are jealous, you get admission into some sort of weird club... but it gets mad at your for no reason, throws fits seemingly randomly, has unexplained issues which it somehow solves on its own only after you try a bunch of different things (and spend a bunch of money) to solve it... and yet you can't resist getting in it every chance you can.

QUOTE]

best quote ever!!!!!!!11
cmichael1188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
This "Jeep thing" is like dating a really really hot chick, who is crazy! Its alot of fun, you spend too much money, your up all night ending up sweaty & greasy from it, your friends are jealous, you get admission into some sort of weird club... but it gets mad at your for no reason, throws fits seemingly randomly, has unexplained issues which it somehow solves on its own only after you try a bunch of different things (and spend a bunch of money) to solve it... and yet you can't resist getting in it every chance you can.

I have had my jeep for 2 months, it was overheating, so I back-flushed the heater core (heat was weak), flushed the rad, changed thermostat (on the side of the highway, in the rain), and changed the waterpump. The heat was awesome, and I thought my issues were over. Then the heat got weak again... and it overheated this morning on the highway. It seems I am losing coolant somewhere... but can't find a leak (just got some dye to try), and there's no white smoke. And now, ofcourse, randomly, the heat is amazing.

Tomorrow I am going to replace every hose which wasn't replaced last time, pressure test the system, and hope I can find a leak somewhere.

I do love the jeep, but as the saying goes, no matter how hot that chick is, there's some guy somewhere who is sick of her ****!
Love the comparison...as for your heat...it's fun to tinker...issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
472cid
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
my new signature
1997 Jeep Wrangler 5.0 ho gt40p motor w/ e303 cam, ax15 trans. 241j rock trac transfer case from 05 rubicon. 05 front rubicon 44 with yukon chromoly shafts and rear rubicon dana 44 and rubicon rims with 33x11.50x16 mtrs
472cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Nice story!

Have you pulled the dipstick yet? Could be head gasket.............

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
Lastshot
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
...issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.:
Gily just made it into my sig!

Any to the O/P
Grats on the jeep!
The first thing I replaced on my Tj was the radiator,but that was because it had a crack in it...
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
Lastshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 02:26 AM   #10
Cowboy1629
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPV View Post
Nice story!

Have you pulled the dipstick yet? Could be head gasket.............
Are you talking about the Jeep or the chick?
()_)-()_)--o-)_)

[I][B]...[URL="http://www.indyorv.com"]IndyORV[/URL]...[/B][/I]
Cowboy1629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 08:23 AM   #11
MysticGringo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Glad people liked that comparison. I came up with it Monday on the side of the highway in the rain while waiting for the jeep to cool enough to figure out what the issue is.

So here's the deal, filled with coolant, everything's awesome. I drive about 50 miles... overheats! I stop, overflow tank is full, and its blowing air into it. Once it cools, it sucks the tank dry. Obviously I lost coolant somewhere, either causing the overheating, or once it overheated, it blew the coolant out the tank overflow.

My mechanic is my buddy, so we spent all day yesterday going over it... for the second time. The radiator was changed by a previous owner, and looks pretty newish. Last week I changed the thermostat (because it was overheating) on the side of the highway (in the rain... only breaks in the rain on the highway). We changed the waterpump last week also, which was newer but was weak. Flushed the system, backflushed the core, and changed hoses. Worked awesome till Monday, when I overheated.

We can't find a coolant leak anywhere, and there's no white smoke. Yesterday we went over every hose, every connection, every clamp (changed most to hose clamps, rather than spring clamps). We drained and flushed the coolant, pressure tested, put in Peak flush solution, and dye. I drove around for 5 hours on the highway, and in stop-go traffic... and no overheating. Everything checked out fine! One theory was combustion gasses leaking into coolant, and causing the overheat... but pressure tested perfect.

So, it seems it has fixed itself. My current theory is either a clog somewhere which finally opened, or air bubbles (even though we made alot of effort to make sure we didn't have any major air bubbles in the system last time). I will be watching the coolant closely, to see what happens. If it was a bubble, it was about a gallon sized bubble!
Unread 12-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #12
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Did you "burp" the coolant system? You could have left a large air bubble and it got to the pump where it stopped the flow...then once it settled out the pump caught prime again.

Jeeps, English cars and women, If you don't pay attention to them every day they will make your life a living ****.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #13
DixiesCJ3B
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I hope that you figured it out, but if it still happens i would def be checking to make sure that your oil doesnt have coolant in it. My truck did the same thing you are saying when the headgasket had a tear in it.

By the way i hope you dont mind but i quoted you in my sig, cause that was just a great way to put how us jeepers feel

1954 CJ3B Willys
Hurricane 4, 3-spd with Warn Overdrive, Snow-plow

NGJC# 15
Low Output 4 cylinder Jeep Club Member #166
Build Thread
Are You An Offroad Junkie
Quote:
DixiesCJ3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 09:06 AM   #14
MysticGringo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixiesCJ3B View Post
I hope that you figured it out, but if it still happens i would def be checking to make sure that your oil doesnt have coolant in it. My truck did the same thing you are saying when the headgasket had a tear in it.

By the way i hope you dont mind but i quoted you in my sig, cause that was just a great way to put how us jeepers feel
I forgot to mention that we did check that last time, but I will keep my eye on it too.

And, no, I don't mind you using that quote in your sig, its kind of an honor actually that my 6th post here was good enough to be quoted.
Unread 12-10-2008, 09:17 AM   #15
Glockgirl26
2013 JK Wrangler 

That is a fantastic comparison.

After I bought my Jeep I once said that the Jeep was the AR-15 of the automotive world as there's no shortage of parts, modifications, etc, you can do with / for it.

Good luck figuring out your issue.
Glockgirl26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.