JK vs. H3 - no contest - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > JK vs. H3 - no contest

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 05-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
bantam

JK vs. H3 - no contest

I'm renting a vehicle for work (I'm waiting for my new company car - 08 grand cherokee) and was able to rent an 08 H3 for the price of an envoy.

I have to say that these vehicle are nothing alike. First, you cannot see out of the H3 - I mean, at all. the windows are so tiny you have no idea what's going on around you. My wife said "it feels like you're in a coffin . . . ".

Second, I was surprised how mush harsher the ride is. It seems to bounce quite a bit where as the jk is rough, but seems to absorb the shock better.

The motor is strong but the auto tranny sucks . . . I have never driven an auto jk so I have no comparison, but the H3 shifts real hard and jerks on hard accelleration.

I only did a couple light trails near my home, but the H3 moves OK, you just cannot see anything - rocks, ruts, trees - nothing - you just have to guess and pray. With the JK I can see much more (esp with the top off).

Today we packed up the kids and took the JK for a cruise with the top off and - as we were cruising down the road my wife an I looked at each other and smiled - there is nothing like a jeep. :-)

I can honestly say I would never buy a hummer . . .

bantam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

It's no more of a Hummer then a Chevy Envoy. Gm has been passing these POS's of to the public as something special when they are nothing more the a re-bodied Envoy.
Unread 05-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
jeepicon-com

nice review! No one seems to give any of the civilian hummers a good reveiw (H1 exempt - but still gets a bad rap w/ IFS) Except the owners themselves.
Unread 05-26-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
wheelerbob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
It's no more of a Hummer then a Chevy Envoy. Gm has been passing these POS's of to the public as something special when they are nothing more the a re-bodied Envoy.

Actually it's a Chevy Colorado pickup in Hummer clothing, I agree P.O.S.
Unread 05-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
Xander

I wouldn't take it as far as "P.O.S.". It may be in the respect of a trail vehicle. But any person who has a clue about a real 4wd vehicle would know the H3 is inferior to a Jeep. If you are looking "trail ready" mall crawler and have no intentions of taking it on a trail, or even over a curb the H3 may be rite up your alley.

For starters the H3 has leaf springs as opposed to coil springs. This really cuts down the articulation of the vehicle. The H3 also does not offer a front and rear locker option. There are other things that are inferior to the Jeep But in all honesty, its just a colorado with a different body. Just like the H2 is a suburban.

IMO, I don't like the H3. I feel it is inferior in almost every category. On the other hand, I do find it funny how people think the H3 (or H2) is superior to a Jeep in every way. Its funny how a badge can sway people's decision.
Unread 05-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Not sure why you would compare an H3 with a JK...they're not really the same class of vehicle.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
MacK
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
I wouldn't take it as far as "P.O.S.". It may be in the respect of a trail vehicle. But any person who has a clue about a real 4wd vehicle would know the H3 is inferior to a Jeep. If you are looking "trail ready" mall crawler and have no intentions of taking it on a trail, or even over a curb the H3 may be rite up your alley.

For starters the H3 has leaf springs as opposed to coil springs. This really cuts down the articulation of the vehicle. The H3 also does not offer a front and rear locker option. There are other things that are inferior to the Jeep But in all honesty, its just a colorado with a different body. Just like the H2 is a suburban.

IMO, I don't like the H3. I feel it is inferior in almost every category. On the other hand, I do find it funny how people think the H3 (or H2) is superior to a Jeep in every way. Its funny how a badge can sway people's decision.
Yea, for some reason people confused "Hummers" with "Humvees"

A hummer is not a freaking Humvee. A humvee is more comparable to a Jeep, I think... maybe. What do I know? I hate those big boxes on frames...

Well I wasn't going to mention this, it was so freaking hilarous. I watched a hummer drive pass me on the toughest beach I ever seen. He started to slow down. To a stop. Tires dug in... buried. I had to laugh. I couldn't even go help them I was just laughing. He even had big tires on it. I don't even know how he got stuck, he was right in the middle of the tracks on the beach. It was a good laugh. I was going to take a video with my new HIGH DEF digital camera, but I was like you know.. that just isn't right. I pretended not to look and watch but it was hard. Considering I was making my OWN tracks in the tough stuff (more fun) trying to scare my dad.. he's not into the whole Jeep thing yet and thinks a jeep can get stuck on a beach (he's been stuck in non jeep vehicles)

But yea.. hummer+beach=blah
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2008, 11:19 PM   #8
newguy66

2008 JK Wrangler 

I was in Washington State last year to climb Mt.Rainier and rented a H3.I did not like it at all.Way to small and not enough power.I guess it's more of a ''image'' vehicle.
newguy66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy66 View Post
I guess it's more of a ''image'' vehicle.
Of course, the big mystery is, what kind of image is the person trying to convey? I have no idea.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2008, 12:58 AM   #10
Broken_Soldier
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdog View Post
Of course, the big mystery is, what kind of image is the person trying to convey? I have no idea.
"Look at me I drive the Tonka truck I always wanted as a kid!"

Big fat tires and exaggerated looks, but it cant really go anywhere without being pushed (or pulled).
Unread 05-27-2008, 02:03 AM   #11
ZX14Rider
2008 JK Wrangler 

I test drove an H3 before buying the JK, I thought for what your getting it was way over priced....
ZX14Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2008, 04:15 AM   #12
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

They, like Harley Davidsons, are better for picking up strippers...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2008, 06:41 AM   #13
FatBuoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
They, like Harley Davidsons, are better for picking up strippers...
Ow mommie, that huwt!
Unread 05-27-2008, 07:45 AM   #14
YuccaPatrol

The best description of an H2 I ever heard was "a Suburban in a party dress"
YuccaPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2008, 08:15 AM   #15
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

I would bet that hummer forums do the same bashinng that goes on with jeep forums, but I would also bet that hummers don't spend half their life in the shop because of stupid warranty work. I would also bet they don't fill up with water when it rains. Ya'll might want to rethink what the definition of a POS is.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.