JK production extended through 2018 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > JK production extended through 2018

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 07-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

JK production extended through 2018

I guess how hot selling and successful the JK is, this should be no surprise.

The JK is now slotted to last through 2018, making it the longest running Wrangler model ever. So that now makes me wonder if they are going to wait until 2018 for a diesel, or stick a new US compliant diesel into the JK.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/24/c...-caravan-axed/

1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
legato
1995 YJ Wrangler 

damn it.
Unread 07-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
justin credible
2012 JK Wrangler 

They have to make some improvements over the next 4-5 years.

I'm betting we still get a diesel (and hopefully a pickup) and they will find ways to shave some weight.
justin credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Its a big joke after all JK=Just Kidding....You know as in Its a Jeep JK(Just Kidding.)<~~~Notice smilie it means its a joke. SO noone have a heart attack.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Most the people that claim they would have bought a Jk if it were diesel, I bet would not. The cost of a sport-D would be a Rubicon. The Rubicon-D.

I would rather see a light small v8> the v6 has some balls. but they could make a 5L or less.

JK today should mean Jeep King. By all standards it is. If you can afford to wheel a new Rubi. You can about bolt up 35"s no regear. Why change what works. They finally put a real auto in the things. The w580 is a like Rubi crawler in a Tj if you have a Rubicon.

By 2018 you will be running CNG. For get diesel and its exhaust fluid.

Small V8 Jk
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

I agree the JK is a great generation. I'll always have a soft spot for the TJ's since I've owned 2 of them. Hopefully in the next few years, Jeep will offer a pickup version of the JK, a V8 version, and a diesel version.

I would love a JK pickup with a V8 in it. Not that the 3.6 is a slouch, but I would just love to have a little V8 powered JK pickup for fun and weekend chores. I doubt I'd even lift it, I'd just put some 33's on it, a cat-back exhaust and call it a day.
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Most the people that claim they would have bought a Jk if it were diesel, I bet would not. The cost of a sport-D would be a Rubicon. The Rubicon-D.
I have to agree with this. People rave about diesel here on the forum but I can almost gaurantee that the real world results will be sub par.

The Dodge 1500 will be getting the 3.0 V6 diesel late this year. It will cost almost 3 grand more than a similar equipped Hemi 1500. The Grand Cherokee will also be getting the diesel and it's only rated *up to* 30mpg highway.

Around my area diesel is around $3.60 while regular 87 is around $3.25. Until diesel is the norm and prices drop a bit, it's not really worth it. The Pentastar does amazing things in the JK and is one of the best things to happen to it.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Awesome.

I love my JK, but let's hope that during those 5 years, Jeep will...
  • stop putting bad Pentastar engines in them (yeah, even some '13's have that bad head).
  • start using ball joints that aren't complete garbage.
  • stop using TOB's that eat **** before 10k miles.
  • use thicker windshields that don't crack when you sneeze on them.
  • mount the steering stabilizer above the tie-rod instead of below it. I have never understood the thought process on this one.
  • build a sway bar disconnect motor that lasts more than a year.
  • put a navigation system in it that actually has modern technology more powerful than my old smartphone from four years ago.
  • stop marketing the D44 as "heavy-duty." It's not.
  • stop redesigning how the top looks and design it to, you know, not leak. The wider windows? Absolutely pointless.
  • stop using plastic ****ing bumpers.
  • build a tailgate that doesn't already exceed its weight limit by 10lbs. from the pansy stock tire mounted to it.
  • move the evap canister into that huge amount of unused, empty space above the rear axle.
  • weld the trackbar mounting brackets in a manner that's superior to the strength of your kids' paper mache art project.
  • use a solid, single-piece shifter knob that doesn't rattle over time.
  • require dealerships to employ service technicians that not only know how to actually fix a JK, but don't go ape**** when you take your vehicle with the word "Rubicon" affixed to the hood onto unpaved surfaces.
  • STAND BY THEIR PRODUCT.
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I was just thinking this. Why replace a model line that is still so successful? But it will be interesting to see it's replacement...

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The 2019s will by flying Jeeps anyway.

19 years too late BTW. We were supposed to have flying cars by 2000.

Sent from my rotary phone using JeepForum
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
The 2019s will by flying Jeeps anyway.

19 years too late BTW. We were supposed to have flying cars by 2000.

Sent from my rotary phone using JeepForum
People would still complain about the gas mileage.
06philaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

they keep makin em cuz "jeep" guys keep buyin em. JK- what a joke. any metal on em? JK- settle down im just messin with ya. but i do hate ya
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #13
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
Awesome.

I love my JK, but let's hope that during those 5 years, Jeep will...
  • put a navigation system in it that actually has modern technology more powerful than my old smartphone from four years ago...
This is a problem which will not go away, and spending the big bucks on installed systems is a waste.

Automakers have to commit to a spec 18-24 months ahead. Then, unlike the phone manufacturers, they have to support designs for years so they can't constantly replace designs. Finally while you may replace your phone in 2 years or less, vehicles (hopefully) last for 15 or 25.

So, no matter how much you spend on the latest GEEWIZ electronics in your new car, within a couple of years they'll be better stuff for cheap in Walmart.

What cars need is a good, easy interface between the car's electronics and the user's phone/satnav etc. Let it go at that.

[Interesting stuff showing up on new Rover prototypes: 3D terrain mapping (visualized on display) including computerized path guidance, and sonar that reads water depth and underwater obstacles. It can also regulate speed so the trough of the bow wave is kept near the air intake. ]

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #14
tpeters1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This might sound bad and I have only driven two JK neither have the Penstar engine. They were both four doors and then seemed more SUV to me than Jeep. This is just my opinion. I do not dislike the look and I think they would fit better into a family life with because they seem more practical. They have more room than a TJ and ride better but for me they seem to be missing the jeep feel and look just my opinion.

I am lucky enough to have my TJ Rubi as a second car and a suburban for a DD and as my o4 TJ gets close to 10 years old it almost has 33K for miles.
tpeters1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
So, no matter how much you spend on the latest GEEWIZ electronics in your new car, within a couple of years they'll be better stuff for cheap in Walmart.

What cars need is a good, easy interface between the car's electronics and the user's phone/satnav etc. Let it go at that.

Like Toyota's Entune system which is standard on pretty much all models except T4R and FJ Cruiser.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.