JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Wrangler General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/)
-   -   jk motor upgrade ideas? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/jk-motor-upgrade-ideas-1541057/)

dodgethejeep 06-25-2013 12:19 AM

jk motor upgrade ideas?

I know there are superchargers and hemi swaps available for jks. Has any one ever swapped in a chev 350 or mopar 4.7? The way i understand it would require transplanting the entire vehicle wire harness and computer bumper to bumper. Along with the drive train. Can anyone elaberate on this idea? This is an idea only right now. Maybe down the road i can find a grand cherokee to use for said swap but i'm looking for good suggestions to start basing research on. I don't like how the can bus system restricts options and want a simpler system.

RockyClymer 07-04-2013 10:12 PM

Not sure if you would plan or registering the modified vehicle or how...most states do not allow you to install an engine from an older model and register it. I am sure others will chime in here with similar versions on this.

joe108 07-05-2013 12:44 PM

How about a re-gear to get you a little more power? It would be less work and it may be enough that you may like it.

wendell 07-05-2013 02:24 PM

How about 4.0 like it should already have he he.

trw 07-05-2013 09:24 PM

*edit* nvm

JIMBOX 07-05-2013 09:56 PM

:cool: The 3.8l v6 is a great PROVEN dependable Chrysler engine-

QUOTE=joe108;15643760]How about a re-gear to get you a little more power? It would be less work and it may be enough that you may like it.[/QUOTE]

BINGO-good call joe-

The only drawback to useable power/torque since 2007, is the gearing used in the different model differentials-

When you regear to the proper gears, the JK/JKU can/will come alive, with better gas mileage as a bonus !

Tried and proved-

Checkitout

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

dodgethejeep 07-05-2013 11:26 PM

Had to regear my last jeep so i know that works well. Just wish these things had a v8 option from factory.

SunDevilJeeper 07-06-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgethejeep (Post 15645796)
Had to regear my last jeep so i know that works well. Just wish these things had a v8 option from factory.

They should have been doing that since the YJ, but no... let's not give the Mopar fans what they want. I'd buy a JK or JKU if they made it with a Hemi option. Call it an R/T even, I don't give a ****.

222Doc 07-06-2013 10:50 PM

Well the latest motor has about v8 power now. Its more power than the old V8's Jeep ever used. If and I hope not to soon anyway this 3.6 goes south. I would be leaning more to the Ls swaps. Where I live I could drop in any motor I want. But I would not drop in any iron block to much weight.
The 2d with 4:10 on 32"s auto is fairly quick. Off the line less than half pedal would make the tires scream. Heck it still can with 35"s.

SunDevilJeeper 07-06-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 222Doc (Post 15648997)
Well the latest motor has about v8 power now. Its more power than the old V8's Jeep ever used. If and I hope not to soon anyway this 3.6 goes south. I would be leaning more to the Ls swaps. Where I live I could drop in any motor I want. But I would not drop in any iron block to much weight.
The 2d with 4:10 on 32"s auto is fairly quick. Off the line less than half pedal would make the tires scream. Heck it still can with 35"s.

Take the top and doors off a 13 Rubi, that thing seriously gets up. But it's just not the same, the Hemi V8s made today are making a lot more power than the V8s of a couple decades ago.

Mopar has always been about stuffing the biggest, most powerful engine in the lightest, or smallest vehicle they could find. Then adding a little more power to that engine, and making it a scary *** machine that gives you thrills. Putting a V8 into a Wrangler seems right up Mopar's alley.

AlbertaJeeper 07-07-2013 12:26 AM

I would love a hemi in mine, but they would have a ton of troubles with safety rating putting one in off the bat. A ton of the vehicle would have to change to make it handle/stop safely from a potentially much higher speed. Not saying people would go crazy if they had the big engine, but that is what needs to be designed for. That's why I would never expect to see a Hemi Wrangler, still can dream though!

SunDevilJeeper 07-07-2013 02:04 AM

You do kinda have a point there. Safety regulations have changed a lot over the years, kinda sucks for some of us.

If I could have it my way, JKUR with a 6.1L Hemi under the hood, manual transmission, put it on 37s with some 5.38s and I'm a happy camper out in the desert.

You have any idea how beefy my suspension would have to be?

EDIT: Nothing wrong with a 392 Hemi either, just sayin...

dodgethejeep 07-07-2013 09:14 AM

Not saying i need a hemi but a 4.7 with some balls would be nice. Got it that old motors in newer jeep = bad idea. Takes alot of road to top out the speedo on a jku. The hood and 3 piece top start ratling at 95. I don't need to go 100+ but more power below that i do want bad. I will have to wait till i get state side to do something worth while but even my wife agrees her jeep needs more power. Supercharger looks to be the cheaper option but a flex fuel v8 out of a newer cherokee looks good. Anyone done this?

JIMBOX 07-07-2013 09:29 AM

:cool: NOPE, cheapest NON-WARRANTY-jeopardizing mod is REGEAR

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgethejeep (Post 15649788)
Not saying i need a hemi but a 4.7 with some balls would be nice. Got it that old motors in newer jeep = bad idea. Takes alot of road to top out the speedo on a jku. The hood and 3 piece top start ratling at 95. I don't need to go 100+ but more power below that i do want bad. I will have to wait till i get state side to do something worth while but even my wife agrees her jeep needs more power. Supercharger looks to be the cheaper option but a flex fuel v8 out of a newer cherokee looks good. Anyone done this?

Usually below $2000 bucks for a 15/25% increase in APPLIED HP-Torque

You just have to pick the ratio that'll be best for you-

Wonderful results/w better mpg and response/w no reliability/ECU/aftermkt troubles--

Checkitout

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

dodgethejeep 07-07-2013 12:38 PM

Plan on regearing to 4.10 either way just courious if some one had done a motor swap with the can bus system using something other than hemi or ls. Heard bout a swap out of a commander but i thing that was a 5.? Hemi? Honestly just want a small 8 but that might be a dream to let die.

The time now is 02:46 PM.