JK engine versus the 4.0L - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 02-24-2010, 08:54 AM
PanthersFan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Jack View Post
Several times? Were you drunk or something?
That's several times over the almost 3 years I've owned my JK. For example, let's say I'm driving to DC, stop at a drive through to get some food and eat it before I get back on I-95. I sit there idling while I'm eating, then out of habit, go to crank the engine because I forgot it was already running.

My point was that my engine is very quiet...

Quote:
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 02-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quite a number of people complaining about cracking "0331" 4.0L heads. Hmmm....

4.0L TJ
post #33 of 38 Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 AM
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sure, it's def quieter than previous wrangler engines but that's a given. I do all maintenance, repairs & mods myself and laying under or next to he engine when running is kinda funny "plack plack plack plack" is the noise he 3.8 makes. It's def not smooth & purring that's for certain!!!

It's a fine engine. Under-gunned for the JKU in my opinion, but, considering the lineage of Jeep & its bastardization on engines over the last 65 years, it's a good one.

The poster from NC, I was just pokin at your avatar, I hope the emoticons were adequate as an intended joke.
Cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcutter View Post
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"

post #34 of 38 Old 02-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan View Post
That's several times over the almost 3 years I've owned my JK. For example, let's say I'm driving to DC, stop at a drive through to get some food and eat it before I get back on I-95. I sit there idling while I'm eating, then out of habit, go to crank the engine because I forgot it was already running.

My point was that my engine is very quiet...
Ha ha, yeah I got your point. It just interested me. I've never attempted to start a vehicle while it was running. I'm not calling you dumb. I guess I just don't have that "habit." My example being that my 2.3L Honda engine runs much quieter than the 3.8L engine, yet I've never attempted to start it while it was already running.

94 YJ w/ stuff. All the work/money I put into it, and the comment I get most is my $20 mod: "Hand throttle?!? That's awesome."
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcanally View Post
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
post #35 of 38 Old 02-24-2010, 03:58 PM
wTheOnew
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Jack View Post
Ha ha, yeah I got your point. It just interested me. I've never attempted to start a vehicle while it was running. I'm not calling you dumb. I guess I just don't have that "habit." My example being that my 2.3L Honda engine runs much quieter than the 3.8L engine, yet I've never attempted to start it while it was already running.
I've tried to start mine when it was already running...but then again I hang around a lot of 4.0s so my hearing is kind of off.

Georgia Institute
of
Technology
. .
post #36 of 38 Old 02-24-2010, 10:20 PM
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMe View Post
I don't. I like JKs just fine. There is one and only one universal Jeep I sort of dislike - the YJ. But I still want one because I am sick. Before I'm 45 I want to have one of every model of universal Jeep ever made. It will happen. Bet against me, I dare you.
dude. the yj was the last real jeep. sounds like you should be driving a hummer. plus my yj has a 4.0

haha j/k just trying to get in the discussion

hmm....... j/k ..... JK ..... think about it

but seriously whats wrong with a yj? and dont say it has square lights....

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
post #37 of 38 Old 02-24-2010, 10:42 PM
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

It has square head lights. Only thing I don't like about the JK is where the tq comes in at. That is all. Plus I love to tinker with a engine originally designed to be in a FWD vehicle turned side ways and dropped in. But then again, I'm in a 2.5 ( have a 4.0 in my cherokee) so I would take either.

I don't blame people for their mistakes, but I do expect they pay for them.

Ash from Army of Darkness
Quote:
Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?
post #38 of 38 Old 02-25-2010, 04:01 AM
CoriolisSTORM
WHAT?!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Garage
My mom got 250k out of her Dodge Dynasty with the Mopar 3.3L V6 before she traded it in. No oil leaks, didn't burn oil, great engine! That's why I went with a 3.8L JK than waiting for the new "more awesomer" Pentastar. At the time I bought my Caliber the World Engine was supposedly Chrysler's most advanced and awesome 4 cylinder ever. The 2.5L AMC mightve been a turd, but it was a turd that went when I told it to... Spark plugs were awesome to change on it, but that's about the only plus I can think of. I wanted the tried and true. The NSG 370 seems to be a great tranny, and the NV241 is a great t case, so I hope to get at least 125k outta mine with few if any problems. And for the record, my dad's 06 has a 4.0, and I think at this point I like my 3.8 better... I can't lug it yet and I'm getting almost 23 MPG out of my Unlimited Sahara manual with 3.73s and stok tires. Take that 2.5L that got 19 downhill with a tailwind!!!

1998 TJ Wrangler SE - Stone White, 2.5Ls of screaming lifter clacking power, AX5, 31" BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KOs

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara - Deep Water Blue, 3.8Ls of oil consuming fury, NSG-370, BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A 265/70/R18s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.