JK engine versus the 4.0L - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 38 Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 AM
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Go back in history and see how long the 3.3 and 3.8s (just a bored/stretched 3.3) have been around. Old technology, simple, minor electroncs "tweaked" for the JK and a L O N G hisotry, both are GREAT motors but, TODAY's technology makes the 3.8 and all thee atttached accesories that are part of the equation better, ....even w/ more power, easier maintenance, better mileage, lower emissions, it's no "contest" ...the 3.8 wins! Owned the ol 258 in a '75 AMC, good motor but, EVERYTHING attached to and surrounding it (most of the car a Matador) was junk!

Added: however, ANYTIME you mate different metals, like the 3.8's aluminum heads to an iron block, you could have problems, that is standard technology for today to save weight, component cost and get higher RPM's so, w/ the 3.8 and ALL modern cars: keep the COOLANT clean, change the 3.8's at least every 4 years and/or before recommened mileage, use only WITH DISTILLED water and use the CORRECT , an HOAT (hybrid not fulll organic), NOT an OAT coolant!!! In the ol 4.0 days you just added old sicicate based coolant, clean tap water every 2-3 years or so and "forget it", not anymore, cooling suystem maintenance on ALL vehicles is a MUST!

JeffinWesternWA

Last edited by JeffinWesternWA; 02-23-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Addendum:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 Old 02-23-2010, 10:50 AM
usmarinekurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaJeep View Post
I think if the TJ came with the guarantee that you would get AIDS from driving it and the JK didn't that they'd dig on JK's for not having that feature.

The JK doesnt come with that??
Wow Chrysler really is slipping
post #18 of 38 Old 02-23-2010, 10:57 AM
BygKuntrey13
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think if the TJ came with the guarantee that you would get AIDS from driving it and the JK didn't that they'd dig on JK's for not having that feature.
I am jealous that yall have hot women who even after waiting all week to get their hair done, Love to drive their JKs with the top down.....

04 TJ (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

BREAK IT SO YOU CAN UPGRADE IT!! :)

JEEPERS OF FACEBOOK GROUP:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 38 Old 02-23-2010, 11:01 AM
4xFun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinWesternWA View Post
Go back in history and see how long the 3.3 and 3.8s (just a bored/stretched 3.3) have been around. Old technology, simple, minor electroncs "tweaked" for the JK and a L O N G hisotry, both are GREAT motors but, TODAY's technology makes the 3.8 and all thee atttached accesories that are part of the equation better, ....even w/ more power, easier maintenance, better mileage, lower emissions, it's no "contest" ...the 3.8 wins! Owned the ol 258 in a '75 AMC, good motor but, EVERYTHING attached to and surrounding it (most of the car a Matador) was junk!
Thank you for the mature, informative response.
post #20 of 38 Old 02-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

bottom line:

the TJ is underpowered.
the JK is still underpowered.
the 42RLE auto sucks bad.
the NSG370's OD isn't very deep.
the NV3550 was the best tranny Chrsyler has used in a long time.
TJ maintenance and electronics is far less complicated
the TJ rides and drives like a short school bus.
driveability and comfort is much better in the JK.
the plastic fender flares on the JK look terrible.
take care of either engine - change the oil regularly and it will live a long happy life.

there, i just saved you hours of searching threads.

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #21 of 38 Old 02-23-2010, 11:48 AM
usmarinekurt

I have to agree on the fender flairs on the JK (they look terrible)- I was at the Dodge dealer the other day and was checking out the new Jeeps. The prices were frigging nuts also.
I saw one 4 door hard top for like 37k..
Holy crap my diesel 1 ton was like 5 k more with leather nav sunroof exhaust brake etc.
I was floored
post #22 of 38 Old 02-23-2010, 11:58 AM
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

you can buy ANY JEEP at/below invocie, sales are S L O W, or better yet, order as you like equipped (Jeep.com is great place to start)...dealers are hungry, contact the fleet dept, a great deal is 1% below invoice less all the rebates/incentives!

JeffinWesternWA
post #23 of 38 Old 02-23-2010, 12:02 PM
usmarinekurt

I was not shopping, I was dropping off my truck for a recall notice. While I was there I took a walk thru the new trucks.

I am happy with my 2004 11k jeep.
I doubt I will ever buy another one -just keeping this ole girl
post #24 of 38 Old 02-23-2010, 12:29 PM
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BygKuntrey13 View Post
I am jealous that yall have hot women .....

&

....bout to get NASTY with this beast!
....?

seriously tho, anyone who thinks the JK has some "new fangled technolgy engine" hasn't been around Jeeps or has no idea what in the h#ll they're talking about.

the jk engine is clanky, loud and tried & true. As a matter of fact, I heard that there are more 3.3/3,8 engines on the road than 4.0's (as there were a whole gazillion-million Caravan & town & country's on planet earth).

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcutter View Post
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"

Last edited by OregonVette; 02-24-2010 at 10:10 AM.
post #25 of 38 Old 02-23-2010, 12:49 PM
usmarinekurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaJeep

I am jealous that yall have hot women who even after waiting all week to get their hair done, Love to drive their JKs with the top down.....

Man that poor dog! I at least hope it is female
post #26 of 38 Old 02-23-2010, 12:53 PM
-Zona-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
bottom line:

the TJ is underpowered.
the JK is still underpowered.
the 42RLE auto sucks bad.
the NSG370's OD isn't very deep.
the NV3550 was the best tranny Chrsyler has used in a long time.
TJ maintenance and electronics is far less complicated
the TJ rides and drives like a short school bus.
driveability and comfort is much better in the JK.
the plastic fender flares on the JK look terrible.
take care of either engine - change the oil regularly and it will live a long happy life.

there, i just saved you hours of searching threads.

More or less all of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb05 View Post
Or Zona because he reminds me of charlie sheen
post #27 of 38 Old 02-23-2010, 08:06 PM
PanthersFan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonVette View Post
the jk engine is clanky, loud and tried & true.
tries & true I agree with. Clank and loud?? There have been several times where I've tried to start my JK when it was already running - I can't hear my engine at idle, and it's smooth through 4000 RPM.

Quote:
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
post #28 of 38 Old 02-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan View Post
tries & true I agree with. Clank and loud?? There have been several times where I've tried to start my JK when it was already running - I can't hear my engine at idle, and it's smooth through 4000 RPM.
Several times? Were you drunk or something?

94 YJ w/ stuff. All the work/money I put into it, and the comment I get most is my $20 mod: "Hand throttle?!? That's awesome."
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcanally View Post
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
post #29 of 38 Old 02-24-2010, 02:09 AM
BeerMe
1975 CJ5 

Quote:
TJ owners still hate the JK. Next.
I don't. I like JKs just fine. There is one and only one universal Jeep I sort of dislike - the YJ. But I still want one because I am sick. Before I'm 45 I want to have one of every model of universal Jeep ever made. It will happen. Bet against me, I dare you.
post #30 of 38 Old 02-24-2010, 07:43 AM
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMe View Post
I don't. I like JKs just fine. There is one and only one universal Jeep I sort of dislike - the YJ. But I still want one because I am sick. Before I'm 45 I want to have one of every model of universal Jeep ever made. It will happen. Bet against me, I dare you.
ok, tell us. very subtle mrs esterhouse.

Rock Krawler Suspensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.