Jk bumpers on a TJ....ewww! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Jk bumpers on a TJ....ewww!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jk bumpers on a TJ....ewww!

Ewww

...if this is your jeep, sorry. This was not a good idea.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1399519431808.jpg

1399519443368.jpg

1399519453820.jpg

jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Another beautiful craigslist jeep

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #3
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

It reminds me of European Jeep imports that have to adhere to all their nanny state tire coverage laws.

IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL View Post
It reminds me of European Jeep imports that have to adhere to all their nanny state tire coverage laws.

That is pretty bad, but the JK bumper is horrible, way wider than the fender flares, hence my catfish remark. lol!
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
rdock31
Average Jeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely one of the worst things you can do to a TJ..

BDS - Savvy - Brown Dog - AtoZ - Metalcloak - Cooper - RC
rdock31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 01:06 AM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL View Post

At least they made it blend with the Jeep way better than the JKs in the states.
Unread 05-08-2014, 04:48 AM   #7
AngryRedBird

I actually like the first 3 images.. and dislike the Euro style swoop designed end caps.. thou many of the Euro Jeep do have a current swoop type of design.. I've attempted to create what I call sling guards.. basically a forward mud guard which keeps the bumper clean or cleaner than if left open.. the one draw back i found what they the jeep had an extreme nose dive based on the aerodynamics or obstruction of air flow around those areas.. Thus the project was canceled and I'll just have to scrub harder when removing those mud stains from the end caps. about the only thing I'll give credit on the Euro design is that they have incorporated the fog light at the end cap location.. slimline and semi hidden.. add the Sahara center fogs and I'd be very interested.
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 05:23 AM   #8
MarkC73

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I will agree the JK bumper on a TJ is a unusual mod and looks similar to putting a handlebar mustache on a dog. But, the only saying that comes to mind is "different strokes for different folks."

Must have been a cheap bumper set, otherwise I would have opted for a pair of aftermarkets (even Sh**tybuilts) would have been a better option than the JK bumpers.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #70
MarkC73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 05:43 AM   #9
AngryRedBird

I do agree that the bumpers are sort of an after thought..and should have or could have been replaced with an alternative. Can't the JK bumpers be altered or even stubbed?.. The current Jk on the TJ seem to be sticking out and I doubt the owner would cut to make stubs.. thou if the wings could be altered or shaved to fit the body.. this out suit the TJ styling better.
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 05:53 AM   #10
MarkC73

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am not sure if you can modify the JK bumpers like you can the TJ bumpers. The JK bumpers have that horrible rough plastic outer skin on the extension from the center section. Modifing them would take some serious thought to have a completed bumper that didnt look like a preschool hack job.

I may be wrong there, but I still think for the cost of buying (if the owner did) the JK setups, that person could have purchased a off-breed set of aftermarkets that would have fit the form and lines of the TJ much better.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #70
MarkC73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #11
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

They make JK stubby bumper ends, you can shorten them fairly easy.

JK bumpers can be had for next to nothing on craigslist.(as can TJ bumpers)

I wonder if they installed the actual metal bumper portion, or just the plastic overlay.

I had TJ bumpers on my TJ because it came that way

I put a set of TJ bumpers on my CJ because they were free.

I have a set of JK bumpers on my JK because it came that way.

I wouldn't put a set of JK bumpers on anything else, even if they were free.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryRedBird View Post
Can't the JK bumpers be altered or even stubbed?
"You cant polish a turd"

JK bumpers are ugly... not that TJ bumpers are much better, but at least they are steel and don't look like a Rubbermaid container. Id run a TJ with no bumpers before I was seen driving the one in the pic
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #13
bobjp

There's a large portion of society that feels insecure if they don't have the latest and greatest. There was a TJ on the local Craigslist that went even further. Not only did they put JK bumpers and wheels on, but they also incorporated the ridiculous fender flares and painted it a JK only color. That's not taste, it's insecurity.

I think every other Wrangler and CJ bumper looked great. Simple and unobtrusive.
Unread 05-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #14
appman180
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Gross
appman180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 04:27 AM   #15
BROWNING3250CAL
2007 JK Wrangler 

JK bumpers are horrible on the JK, never mind putting them on a different model Jeep, I can't wait to replace my horrible plastic rear JK bumper, I will celebrate the day that junk gets tossed.
BROWNING3250CAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.