Jeep wrecked. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Jeep wrecked.

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 10-07-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
davidm89
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep wrecked.

So today i t-boned a truck in downtown new orleans today, and im thinking my jeep is totalled. I have damage on every body panel besides the doors (they weren't on), and the trunk. The engine mount on the passenger side was broken, breaking the oil filter off and running the oil out of the engine. The gap between the windshield motor and dash is bigger, leading me to believe that the firewall/cowling piece is bent. Both fenders have damage, and the side panels are kinked at the corners of the doors. The transmission is moved, probably broken off the mounts, judging by the stick. The rear driveshaft pulled out of the t-case and the rear shocks are bent, so that cant be good... needless to say front bumper is done. It seems that the steering column has moved also.

So...do we think its totalled? I have assumed that it is, but its hard to accept. Any estimates on the total for the damages. I have liability so its just a decision on whether or not the parents think its worth fixing...I really don't need a jeep in new orleans anyways, and the gas mileage is awful...i just hate to let it go

Unread 10-07-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

With as many things that are out of place / damaged, in every area of the jeep... I'm going to say 90% totaled.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #3
sam.b.
1998 TJ Wrangler 

seems like its time to tube it out and build a buggy
www.kifourwheelers.com << Louisville Ky. based 4x4 club
sam.b. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That sucks! I just hope you are OK! If they decide to total it, never accept the first offer from the insurance company. It wil be a lowball price just to see if you will be dumb enough to accept it. Be polite with the adjustor, but tell him you are very unsatisfied with their pittance of an offer, and ask to speak with their supervisor. The money will go up depending on how persistant you will be. Once the offer is accepted, request to buy it back and rebuilld her on their money. Yes, you might (and will) get a salvage title, but you can still enjoy her!
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2008, 11:19 PM   #5
Pvt_Joker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasujeeper View Post
That sucks! I just hope you are OK! If they decide to total it, never accept the first offer from the insurance company. It wil be a lowball price just to see if you will be dumb enough to accept it. Be polite with the adjustor, but tell him you are very unsatisfied with their pittance of an offer, and ask to speak with their supervisor. The money will go up depending on how persistant you will be. Once the offer is accepted, request to buy it back and rebuilld her on their money. Yes, you might (and will) get a salvage title, but you can still enjoy her!
Why would he care about a salvage title at this point?
Pvt_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
Alexr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i totaled my jeep about a year ago and bought the current one with the money i received from insurance. I was lucky because the jeep i bought (my current one) was in better shape.

good luck man.
Alexr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #7
davidm89
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I like the buggy idea haha but what the hell am i gonna do with a buggy in new orleans? plus im in an apartment and have no money (poor college student). And insurance won't cover it, i have liability...

Honestly lately i have toyed with the idea of selling the jeep, but probably wouldn't have done it because i love it so much. I wont get another YJ definitely, probably not another jeep. I need a car with decent gas mileage that can handle new orleans roads without breaking the spine. In hindsight, ABS would be great too.

Just dont know what to do...hate to see the jeep go
Unread 10-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #8
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm89 View Post
And insurance won't cover it, i have liability...
Ouch, nevermind, and good luck, unless this wasn't your fault.
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2008, 11:47 PM   #9
davidm89
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My fault, im not used to downtown new orleans. No overhead stoplights, and i guess i just missed it until it was too late. On a dry day i might have been ok...but it was wet and the brakes locked up. Definitely my fault because i went through a red light...Everyone was ok, the other guy was actually pretty cool. Im just glad everybody was ok. Scared the **** out of me...and now i dont have my jeep...today sucks
Unread 10-07-2008, 11:49 PM   #10
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

jeeps can be rebuilt, and other cars can be bought. the main worry is that you made it out of the wreck okay. other things will take care of themselves in time

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #11
xeroid81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

As he mentions,he only has liability,which I believe means they only fix the other car. Every state has its' own description of what liability means so the laws vary state to state. He probably has a huge deductable so the cost of repairng it will be his expense. So there is no issue with arguing with his insurance co. Theeey're gonna offer him the standard,what they call,fair market value. I would suggest having it estimated at a body shop,although it seems hopeless. If it's more to repair than it's worth to you,than maybe part it out so you don't take a bath on the bills. BTW I'm glad to hear you came out of this horrible event o.k. It sucks about the jeep though! I know how I would feel!
xeroid81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2008, 07:20 AM   #12
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Part it out and make some money for your new car fund... and no foreign cars!
If the axles are still good you should be able to get $300-$400 out of them.
If your tires still have tread left you can expect a decent amount of money for those as well.
Just part it out man, or sell it as a parts Jeep. But if you have the place to store the parts, then disassembling it yourself will bring in more money.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
davidm89
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So i know im ressurecting a dead thread. But next weekend I am towing the Jeep home and putting the engine back in place. Everything else seems like it is cosmetic damage. The rear axle didn't move as far as i can tell. Nothing is bent and the centering pins on the perches are in place. I'm not sure about the shock...it could be because i need new shocks anyways...we'll see. Anyways, the engine moved about 1-2" forward. I have an engine lift at home but at short glance i can't find a lifting point. The transmission/t-case moved about an inch towards the passenger side and this mount is also broken. The driveshaft pulled out of the T-case, but I had noticed some fluid on the back end of the jeep anyways, and i think the seal on the SY of the t-case was in need of replacement. What is the best course of action? pulling the entire engine or just picking it up and re-mounting it without pulling it completely out?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks
Unread 12-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #14
JaikYJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to see that your going to bring her back to life! phew jeep saved.
You said you live at an apt complex. But you have an engine lift? I assume you have somewhere to work on it. If thats the case and you have the time and someone to help you out it might be worth pulling the engine after marking all the wires correctly. And have a good look at it make sure no small cracks in the block, maybe something that could be overlooked if you just re-seated the engine while it was still in.
And if you took pictures this would be a great addition to a build thread, and if you dont have one yet this would be a great reason to start one.
Unread 12-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #15
davidm89
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well here in New Orleans i don't have a place to work on it, but im loading it on a u-haul and taking it home to jackson. I have a garage there with air tools and an engine hoist. I may actually be able to use a full shop with a lift for the whole car. I don't know at this point if i should completely pull the engine or just re-seat. I've never done something of this magnitude to my jeep. Up to this point all i've done is simple engine work and full suspension. Is there a good write up somewhere for pulling the 4 cyl engine?

I'll shoot a few pictures of the Jeep here in New Orleans, and keep up to date as work goes on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.