Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

jeep wrangler ev (los angeles auto show)

901 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  b_c 
#1 ·
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Chrysler says the electric Jeep EV prototype is a "glimpse into the future of a 'Go Anywhere, Do Anything' vehicle with renowned Jeep Wrangler ability."

Slideshow >>

Based on the 4-door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, the Jeep EV is not a pure EV; it's a "range-extended electric vehicle" because it combines an electric motor with a small gasoline engine and an integrated electric generator to produce additional energy when needed.

Powered by a lithium-ion battery pack, the Jeep EV's electric motor makes 268 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque. Jeep says that with 8 gal. of gasoline onboard, the EV has a range of 400 miles, including 40 miles in which the Jeep is running in full-electric, zero-emissions mode. When running in gasoline mode, the Jeep EV emits 50 percent less C02 than is typical.

Performance claims include 0-60 mph in 9.0 sec and the quarter mile in 16.5 sec, with a top speed of over 90 mph.

The 5-passenger Jeep EV features an onboard dual-voltage charger, and can be plugged into any 110/120-volt standard household power outlet, as well as a 220/240-volt household appliance outlet.

The Jeep EV was developed by ENVI ("ENVI" represents the first four letters of "environmental"), Chrysler's in-house group formed a year ago to focus on electric production vehicles. ENVI is currently studying 4-wheel drive with in-wheel electric motors, as being able to control the drive of each wheel independently would be perfectly suited to the off-road, rock-crawling nature of the Jeep Wrangler.

read the rest: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=7293

b_c

See less See more
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
#2 ·
well after i graduate college and need a more fuel efficient vehicle and have kids, I would buy one of those. Great idea they had, to stay with an American classic, and just make it more environmentally friendly. I don't think i would want one to off road in, but it sure beats a minivan. and theres no way i would give up my TJ. Still I like it.

#4 ·
If you scroll down to the bottom you'll notice after all the money and R & D on this thing, it is getting the ax after only 3 months.
who wants to pay $60,000 for that when it still only gets 18mpgs...

...don't doubt that it failed.

i think they learned their lesson...maybe.

what was interesting in the article about the wrangler ev, was that they mentioned the possibility of a motor-per-wheel setup. could you imagine the possibilities?

b_c

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.