jeep wont start but battery is good - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > jeep wont start but battery is good

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Utfan010
2004 TJ Wrangler 

jeep wont start but battery is good

so i drove my jeep to my friends house today turned it off went inside for about 15 minutes then came back out to my jeep not starting up at all. all the lights on the dashboard were faded the radio wouldn't turn on, the light under the hood was barely glowing, and finally went out. we then jumped it. and i drove it home right when i got home the battery meter was pinned all the way to the right i turned it off it wouldn't start back up, so i then took the battery to advance auto parts and they said my battery was good with 12.7 reading. i then had a friend come by from the dealership and he's checking out my alternator tomorrow morning. any other ides of what it could be?
please help cause i need my jeep back.

Unread 08-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Bane7962

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Check your connections?

Corrosion, gunk etc?
Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought.

When my Jeep stops making strange noises, I become concerned. That usually means I have to go back and find whatever fell off.
Bane7962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i drove it home right when i got home the battery meter was pinned all the way to the right
If you mean the dash volt meter was pinned .
Did they load test the battery at Advanced Auto, or just check voltge? Sounds like you got corrosion crawling up your battery cables, start looking. Also check the altenator for correct voltage and test if a diode plate burned out (AC voltage present).
Unread 08-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ya, did they do a load test? that would say if they are just reading a surface charge or actual charge
Unread 08-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
Utfan010
2004 TJ Wrangler 

haha yeah i meant the volt meter...haha
but the battery was indeed good. i took the alternator up to advance auto parts and had them test it, it was the problem. they said it was defective from not putting out enough volts, but i went to car quest got a rebuilt one with a 1 year warranty and my jeep is now running so much better and smoother

Tags
alternator , battery , jeep , volt meter , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.