Jeep: Two Weeks After Purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Jeep: Two Weeks After Purchase

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 05-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

Jeep: Two Weeks After Purchase

#1: Gas mileage is horrible as I aspire to get 20mpg., but I knew that going in and I cannot say I'm surprised or disappointed.

#2: I'm in love with the turning radius. I used to drive a 2004 Buick Lesabre which turns like an ox cart. Somehow the Jeep feels full-sized and nimble at the same time.

#3: I'd forgotten just how much fun a manual transmission can be to drive.

#4: I detest sun-roofs but I love having the top down on my Jeep. I don't know how to reconcile that other than to say that sun-roofs allow all the annoying things about being topless (noise, bright sun) without any of the benefits (feel like you're flying).

#5: Related to #4 - the top down, while looking in the rearview mirror there is nothing to see but open road. At first that can be a bit shocking because usually a rearview is framed by a back window. When I look in the rear-view mirror now there is no indication that I'm in a vehicle. Awesome.

#6: People were surprised that I bought a Jeep - evidently there are certain stereo-types that I violated since I can be a bit of a house cat. I had people making a big deal out of the fact: You bought a Jeep? is a common refrain.

#7: My children were surprised by the Jeep wave. They thought I was telling stories until they saw it happening most of the time.

#8: I call Jeeps the "Legos of the Automotive World" because of how you can pull parts off. To me this makes them a very interesting type of vehicle.

#9: I'm looking forward to trying out some greenie trails around Michigan. I'll never be a rock crawler or a bog monster but I would like to get out into the woods on some two tracks or similar trails. You don't have to travel far to have fun.

#10: Working the top the first time I took it off/on was nightmare. The second time it went off and on very easily. It's just something you have to do once or twice to "get it".

Any ways, I'm more pleased with the Jeep two weeks after purchase than I was even on the day I bought it. Easily one of the coolest vehicles on the road today.

MadGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

There are tons of great "greenie" trails in Michigan. Bundy Hill down near Jackson and Rocks and Valleys up in Harrison instantly come to mind. They've both got some serious pucker factor trails, but they also have entry level and intermediate trails as well. Oh, and you may retract statement #9 once you get off road. It has a tendency to bring out something within people that they themselves don't know they have within them.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Teeka
2011 JK Wrangler 

Welcome! I hope you have a deep pocket. Once you change one item on your jeep you won't be able to stop. Once one is complete your be shopping for the next one
Teeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
ShogunTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

#1 on your list is pie in the sky for most of us. When I first got my TJ I was hoping for at least the stated 16mpgs in the city. Now I get excited when I hit 14mpg highway.

Stock 4cyl and 35's=Rock Crawling like a bus!
ShogunTJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mpg in a new Jeep is gilding the lilly a bit. But if you have a sport with the little wheels drive like a hyper miller, you can get north of 20mpg.

I only use the DIC mpg reading as I do not care enough to do the paper and pin calculations. But getting near two years on our 2012 2D rubi. with 35" MTR"s 3.5+ lift metal narrow fenders, slidders, bumpers, skids, gear tools etc. I can still get 17-18 @ 65 flat roads no head winds. stock 4:10 gears and its a auto. Jeeps do best at 55, with a high COD they are not very slippery
Unread 05-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
grogie
Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Congratulations on the Jeep.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Momamac
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Welcome from another newbie from Michigan! I'm in agreement with all of your points! We camp near Silver Lake, so can't wait to get on the dunes!
Momamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome!
#1 "horrible" is about right do NOT fall for all those bolt on add-ons that claim to increase your mileage, (cold air intake, throttle body spacers, fancy filters) most don't work and the ones that do will take you decades and millions of miles to make them pay off.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe108 View Post
Welcome!
#1 "horrible" is about right do NOT fall for all those bolt on add-ons that claim to increase your mileage, (cold air intake, throttle body spacers, fancy filters) most don't work and the ones that do will take you decades and millions of miles to make them pay off.
I'm thinking that if there were anything that actually worked then Chrysler would already have attached it to the vehicle.
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

I just bought a new '13 JK Rubicon in order to get better mileage...

Coming from a F350 4wd with a V10 that gets 11 mpg, 16-17 mpg will be a joy. It doesn't turn like an aircraft carrier either.

Enjoy!

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe108 View Post
Welcome!
I don't know about that. I put a CAI on my Durango, picked up 15% fuel economy and 12% HP at the wheels. Paid for itself in 6 months. That was 4 years ago. Been making money on it ever since.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:45 AM   #12
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

Some bad news:
In addition to the chip in the glass at about 500 miles in I now have my 1000 mile damage badge.
Evidently my neighbor, who is about 90 years old, pulled out of her driveway and into my Jeep which was parked on the street.

I figure I'll never get to take this Jeep wheelin' as I'm getting the poopie kicked out of my Jeep just hanging around in parking lots and paved roads.
My dad said that right after I bought it I should have taken a sledge hammer to it - you know, just to get it over with already.
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #13
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

No thats perfect because now you wont cringe so bad when you bust up your bumpers on a steep approach/departure or accidently back into a tree or something. I am also positive you could coax 20mpg out of that thing on the highway, it has to be more efficient and aerodynamic than my XJ and I have laid down 20+mpg on long highway trips.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #14
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
No thats perfect because now you wont cringe so bad when you bust up your bumpers on a steep approach/departure or accidently back into a tree or something. I am also positive you could coax 20mpg out of that thing on the highway, it has to be more efficient and aerodynamic than my XJ and I have laid down 20+mpg on long highway trips.
It's an excuse to buy a new bumper.
Right now I'm getting about 19.7 average which is good enuf.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.