The jeep thing I'll never understand - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > The jeep thing I'll never understand

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 11-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
brinoff

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The jeep thing I'll never understand

Every few days someone posts a thread about lifting their Wrangler. "Money is tight, can I just use gigantic shackles or a 5" body lift?". -"I can't afford an SYE or driveshaft so I'll just buy some used u-joints to keep on hand." or....... wait I love this one.... "I'm a poor college student. What's the cheapest way to lift my jeep?"

If money is that tight, lifting your jeep should be way out of your range of thinking. Pay your bills!

Phew...... I feel better. Thanks.

93YJ 4.0 I6, AX-15, NP231 Teraflex SYE, Tom Wood Drive Shaft, G2 D44 ARB, ARB locked 30, T&T customs axle trusses, ProComp 35" Mud Terrain, RE SD 4" Lift, Daystar 1" BL, Harbor Freight 8000 Winch, Swing Away Tire Carrier, and some other stuff.
brinoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's a CHEAP thing.

NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Everyone starts off somewhere and chances are they'll make mistakes. Personally I'd rather throw $200 into a lift to get an idea of whether I'll like it or not before I spend $2500 to find that my jeep simply just isn't highway worthy anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think most people know how much $$$$ you can really sink into a small vehicle called a wrangler.

I had no idea that when I got my little used 95 YJ I would soon be putting in twice as much as I paid for it, and it was in great shape when I got it. You soon find out hey what do mean I have 2 wheeeeeeel drive, 1 in the front and 1 in the rear, well how much can lockers really cost $$$$$$$$$$$ and how bad can it be to re-gear, after all a new R&P is only a couple hundred bucks. Soon you find yourself THOUSANDS into this small vehicle called a wrangler.

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think the OP is about people spending money they really shouldn't, and we've seen it discussed here, credit issues, even marriage conflicts. It's not the Jeep that's the problem, it's unwise spending that's the problem (if you don't have the money to to do it right, wait till you do)

Jeeps are not he only moneypits. I also hang out on a site dedicated to old Mercedes SLs (ref my wife's car), and those guys have the same problem (how about $5000 for a valve & timing chain job??)

Boats are worse, and planes .. (my brother could tell you about the TCO of a Cessna)
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well, you know what they say....if it flies, floats, or ****s, it's cheaper to rent than to buy.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
Well, you know what they say....if it flies, floats, or ****s, it's cheaper to rent than to buy.
Quoted For Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

meh, the money piles into these things, jeeps that is not just wranglers, my wrangler has been cheaper than my crappy xj by far.

as far as cheap ways to lift, I would already be soa if it wouldnt make my jeep massive, and the fact that If I buy new springs, they wont be stock lift, and if I bu the 2.5 kit, the shocks will be worthless, ahh decissions. (my oem springs are shotttt)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Its a Jeep thing, I don't think there are better words. You spend the money because you know you can pay the bills with that last bit of money and have enough scraps (or the ability to round up the extra money) to get the parts you want together.

Its a jeep thing simply translates to: I have enough money to get by, but I know if I can find a cheap enough alternative I can get the lift AND pay the bills. It might not be the best, but I don't need a brand new 8inch lift, I just want a little lift for now. It will give me practice, it will keep me busy, it will make me happy, and make my month worth it

Thats how I think of it. I know if I can spare the money Ill get a bunch of parts for my heap. Not because I want to waste money, but because it gives me something to do. Something to come out the next morning and think "I did that myself". Something to get me off the couch. Something to talk about, think about. When you next put a part on your jeep think why you did, why you are, and why you will like it after wards. Is it because you want a bro truck with the biggest lift, the most chrome, and no front driveshaft? Or because you enjoy finding a problem and solving it yourself (So you don't sit around all day trying to fix your wife/gf's blowdryer or refill fish tanks or sit around drinking for no reason)?

So all in all:

Think of a problem, use the money you can, grab the beer, the pizza, and tools. And set to work on something good for not just yourself but your Jeep.

Cheers to Jeeps. A Way Of Life.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a college student, am broke and can't afford an SYE or CV but i lifted my jeep 2 inches (really 2.5 but anyway)...does that make me cheap? I did a t case drop and barely any vibes...there is some very slight ones at higher speed but that's expected.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
DiabloYJ
2004 WJ 

Well interestingly enough a lot of the threads I see started these days are "doing my life on the cheap" or "budget build" and turn out to be quite a bit more money than what I would consider to be a normal "budget." That being said I have seen some pretty AWESOME ideas that are the fruition of someone trying to get something done on the cheap.

GD Thread HIJACKERS Member #1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

-Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Sport View Post
Sometimes I wish I had leaf springs.
DiabloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #12
CooterBrown

1965 CJ5 

i just dont understand the people that are on a tight budget and think that these things are a neccessity. im junior enlisted in the coast guard so moneys not flowing out of my ears. but ive managed to get my cj5 running and almost restored for next to nothing because i do the work myself and dont blow money on stuff i really dont need ie lifts. now my 2010 rubi on the other hand im prolly going to blow some clank on it. bumper and winch this christmas. but after that i dont see myself doing anything extreme to it unless it is out of neccessity completely stock i took it out today and it didnt hessitate to go through some nasty sh*t so i think ill be fine. its just crazy how the most expensive stuff seems to be the stuff that isnt detrimental to performance mainly for looks
CooterBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #13
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well, cheap is cheap for a reason - the trick is figuring out why before you learn the hard way.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #14
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well since no one has answer to the reason of your rant, I will.

Here is the simple, basic truth to why people will spend money they don't have to modify a Jeep.......

Are you ready?

Here it is......

WHAT THE JEEP WANTS, THE JEEP GETS. [/thread]
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #15
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Well since no one has answer to the reason of your rant, I will.

Here is the simple, basic truth to why people will spend money they don't have to modify a Jeep.......

Are you ready?

Here it is......

WHAT THE JEEP WANTS, THE JEEP GETS. [/thread]
Here Here!
Tuffjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.