Jeep rollover statistics? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Jeep rollover statistics?

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Reply
Unread 05-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
WranglerRush
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL to Charlotte, NC
Posts: 729
Jeep rollover statistics?

So I have been driving Jeeps for a few years now and I have never owned a car. I feel like jeeps are actually safer than sports cars for a few reasons. I do not speed in my jeep, whereas if I had a mustang or something I would probably already have mulitple speeding tickets and would be racing all over town. I also where my seatbelt because I never have a top or doors on. If I was in a sports car I probably would not be wearing a seat belt.

Anyways, I want to prove to people that jeeps are not 'accident prone" and don't rollover all the time like many ignorant parents think when not letting their kids get Jeeps. I know SUV's have a higher rollover ratio than cars, but people act like Jeeps are the unsafest vehicle on the road.

I want facts, statistics, anything to prove that Jeeps don't rollover anymore than other SUV's such as ford explorers or other popular SUV's that teenagers drive.

__________________
1992 Red YJ 4.0 with 5 on the floor and 33's
WranglerRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
jay-h
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: , NJ
Posts: 4,421
Cars vary enormously in their behavior. And they vary in their design priorities. If rollover is your only concern, it's damned hard to roll a Porsche 911 or a Vette. And a lot easier to roll a van or a Jeep. But then you'd be nuts to try to take corners in a Jeep the way you do in a Porsche.

Every vehicle should be driven according to it's capabilities. I certainly don't take corners in my camper the way I'd take them in my wife's Mercedes SL.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
ZeroGravity
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,930
Just turn on the news. All the cars I see that crash are small cars and sport cars.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Wrangler_91
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: louisville, KY
Posts: 998
I am 18 and have driven my jeep for a year now. Most of my friends have regular 4 door cars. Very few have SUVs or even trucks. Before I got my jeep and had a Nissan Sentra and I drove the heck out of that car. Went through a set of tires in a VERY short time (that was fun explaining to my parents :rolf. But once I got my jeep I stopped all that and drove it like a jeep, I do not speed nor do I pull the e brake in parking lots to skid around. Jeeps are more prone to rollover than cars because of the high center of gravity and yadda yadda. The main problem is, many kids would not drive a jeep like a jeep. They would want to drive it like a sports car. There are quite a few of my friends that I would worry about if they drove a jeep for that reason.

I guess my point is as what is that vehicles have limitations. The problem is that a lot of teenagers do not respect those limitations. Parents realize this and they know that thier kids are going to experiment with thier new freedom of driving (I sure did). If they try to experiment with something like a jeep it could be bad.
Wrangler_91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
GoinCoastal
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 18
Suburbans, Tahoes, and Explorers are all "tippier" than a Wrangler. This is a study from a few years ago. http://www.suv-rollovers.com/nhtsa-rollover-rating.com

Also, keep in mind that Wranglers are designed with a roll cage to protect you if you do roll it.

Quote:
SUVs
Vehicle Rollover Rating Rollover Chance Driving Test Result
Chrysler Pacifica 4-DR w/SAB 13% No-tip
Ford Freestyle 5-DR 13% No-tip
Chrysler Pacifica 4-DR w/SAB 14% No-tip
Ford Freestyle 5-DR 14% No-tip
Acura MDX 4-DR. w/SAB 15% No-tip
Honda Pilot 4-DR. w/SAB 15% No-tip
Nissan Murano 4-DR w/SAB 15% No-tip
Nissan Murano 4-DR w/SAB 15% No-tip
Subaru Outback 4-DR Wagon w/SAB 15% No-tip
Toyota Highlander 4-DR. 17% No-tip
Toyota Highlander 4-DR. 17% No-tip
Volvo XC90 4-DR. w/SAB 17% No-tip
Chevrolet Equinox 4-DR. 18% Tip
Buick Rainier 4-DR. 19% No-tip
Chevrolet Equinox 4-DR. 19% Tip
Chevrolet Trailblazer 4-DR. 19% No-tip
Dodge Durango 4-DR. 19% No-tip
GMC Envoy 4-DR. 19% No-tip
Honda CR-V w/SAB 19% No-tip
Honda CR-V w/SAB 19% No-tip
Isuzu Ascender 5 4-DR w/SAB 19% No-tip
Jeep Grand Cherokee 4-DR. 19% No-tip
Jeep Wrangler 2-DR. 19% No-tip
Lincoln Navigator 4 DR. w/SAB 19% No-tip
Buick Rainier 4-DR. 20% No-tip
Chevrolet Trailblazer 4-DR. 20% No-tip
Ford Escape 4-DR. 20% Tip
GMC Envoy 4-DR. 20% No-tip
Hyundai Santa Fe 4-DR w/SAB 20% Tip
Isuzu Ascender 5 4-DR w/SAB 20% No-tip
Jeep Grand Cherokee 4-DR. 20% No-tip
Mazda Tribute (Early Release) 4-DR. 20% Tip
Mercury Mariner 4-DR 20% Tip
Saturn VUE 4-DR. 20% Tip-up
Toyota 4Runner 4-DR. 20% No-tip
Cadillac Escalade ESV 4-DR. w/SAB; w/updated ESC 21% No-tip
Cadillac Escalade EXT w/SAB; w/updated ESC 21% No-tip
Chevrolet Avalanche w/SAB; w/updated ESC 21% No-tip
Chevrolet Suburban 1500 4-DR. w/updated ESC 21% No-tip
Dodge Durango 4-DR. 21% No-tip
GMC Yukon XL 4-DR. w/updated ESC 21% No-tip
Jeep Liberty 4-DR. 21% No-tip
Toyota 4Runner 4-DR. 21% No-tip
Cadillac Escalade 4-DR. w/SAB;w/updated ESC 22% No-tip
Chevrolet Tahoe 4-DR. w/ESC 22% No-tip
GMC Yukon 4-DR. w/ESC 22% No-tip
Hyundai Santa Fe 4-DR w/SAB 22% Tip
Nissan Pathfinder 4-DR 22% No-tip
Saturn VUE 4-DR. 22% Tip-up
Chevrolet Suburban 1500 4-DR. w/updated ESC 23% No-tip
Ford Escape 4-DR. 23% Tip
GMC Yukon XL 4-DR. w/updated ESC 23% No-tip
Mazda Tribute (Early Release) 4-DR. 23% Tip
Mercury Mariner 4-DR 23% Tip
Nissan Pathfinder 4-DR 23% No-tip
Cadillac Escalade 4-DR. w/SAB;w/updated ESC 24% No-tip
Chevrolet Tahoe 4-DR. w/ESC 24% No-tip
Ford Explorer 4-DR. 24% No-tip
GMC Yukon 4-DR. w/ESC 24% No-tip
Jeep Liberty 4-DR. 24% No-tip
Mercury Mountaineer 4-DR. 24% No-tip
Chevrolet Avalanche w/SAB; w/updated ESC 25% No-tip
Chevrolet Tahoe 4-DR. 26% Tip
GMC Yukon 4-DR. 26% Tip
Ford Explorer Sport Trac 27% No-tip
Chevrolet Tahoe 4-DR. 28% Tip
GMC Yukon 4-DR. 28% Tip
Ford Explorer Sport Trac 34% Tip
GoinCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
Krochus
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alma, Arkansas
Posts: 1,844
Quote:
I feel like jeeps are actually safer than sports cars for a few reasons.
and then you proceed to outline ways you drive a car like a Hoon to make it more dangerous?

That doesn't prove anything other than you're immature! Wear your seatbelt and drive according to traffic laws and a jeep IS going to be more roll over prone than a car PERIOD. Simple physics dictate this.

the problem with the above list is that even though the Wrangler is in the middle it doesn't have nearly as many safety features or have as good crash worthiness as the "more tippy" of the list. Just about every vehicle above the Wrangler on that list has multiple airbag systems. There's more to it than just the likeliness of a roillover. There's how the vehicle handles the crash and protects it's occupants. In a high speed rollover the "cage" on a jeep is gonna be practically worthless especially for keeping objects from intruding into the cab.

I love my Jeep but I'm not gonna falsely convince myself it's just as safe in the event of a crash as a Volvo
__________________
Think Green recycle your YJ's sway and trac bars today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
little_Jeep
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,936
You are wasting your time. People believe what they want to believe and you are not going to change their opinion.

The next problem you will have is finding statistics based upon only the information that would relate to other wheel-d vehicles. For example, the Ford Explorer is a 4x4 SUV. However, very few of them ever leave pavement, or are modified. Therefore, comparing numbers of roll overs is pretty much worthless.

Also, there is a big difference in a Flip, Roll, or a flop. Are we talking on pavement only, or is off road included? Are we talking stock Jeeps only, or are modified Jeeps included? I could go on, but bottom line, I think you are wasting your time trying to find reliable statistics on this.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533
 
grogie's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 7,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
Just turn on the news. All the cars I see that crash are small cars and sport cars.
So small cars are more dangerous? It's the driver!

I use to have several RX-7's, and I can testify that it would be 100x easier to roll my Jeeps then a sports car, not to mention I can drive a sports car a lot harder (well at least on paved roads).
__________________

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Bishop Creek
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Eastern High Sierra, California
Posts: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler_91 View Post
I am 18 and have driven my jeep for a year now. Most of my friends have regular 4 door cars. Very few have SUVs or even trucks. Before I got my jeep and had a Nissan Sentra and I drove the heck out of that car. Went through a set of tires in a VERY short time (that was fun explaining to my parents :rolf. But once I got my jeep I stopped all that and drove it like a jeep, I do not speed nor do I pull the e brake in parking lots to skid around. Jeeps are more prone to rollover than cars because of the high center of gravity and yadda yadda. The main problem is, many kids would not drive a jeep like a jeep. They would want to drive it like a sports car. There are quite a few of my friends that I would worry about if they drove a jeep for that reason.

I guess my point is as what is that vehicles have limitations. The problem is that a lot of teenagers do not respect those limitations. Parents realize this and they know that thier kids are going to experiment with thier new freedom of driving (I sure did). If they try to experiment with something like a jeep it could be bad.
My daughter is your age, and I must say you sound very mature and wise beyond your years.
__________________
“This isn’t the Old West, because the New West has never arrived. It’s just the West, like Wyatt Earp died yesterday.”
─ Michael Martin Murphey talking about the Eastern Sierra during an interview in 1996.
Bishop Creek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
Castr8r
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West Central Illinois
Posts: 538
A few years ago, when the great rollover debacle started, it was, and still is, obvious that SUV's and Jeeps were more "tippy" than other vehicles. BUT! Corvettes were involved in more roll-overs than SUV's by a large margin. Why? Because most people would drive a SUV with some sense because they knew it was tippy! The 'Vette? why, everybody knows that they will just slide; they won't rollover. They slide until a wheel hits something and then over she goes. I lost a good friend and a great guy for that very reason about 20 years ago.
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2009, 07:39 AM   #11
Jordon83
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Owensboro Kentucky
Posts: 664
You think explaining the safety of a Jeep is hard, try explaining to people that a Smart car is safe. Our two most recent purchases and everyone thing I will rollover the Jeep or be crush by a semi in the smart.
Jordon83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #12
kswyg001
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chesapeake, VA and Moyock, NC
Posts: 893
I've got a vette and a jeep and like everyone else is saying- common sense goes very far. Obviously its easier to tip the jeep, but as also stated- if the vette tires grab something sideways then its over and gone too. btw- im 20 and the jeep sees more miles than the vette i just cant resist the jeep.
kswyg001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #13
2006_Sport
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sherrills Ford, NC
Posts: 10,829
Ok. Jeeps are dangerous regardless what you say. They are very touchy vehicles due to the short wheelbase and getting a new driver a jeep is probably the worst decision you can make as a parent. Kids tend to drive fast. i know it sounds dumb but when i started driving at 16 (i am only 19) i could take turns alot faster in my 4runner than i can in my jeep. The reason the bigger SUVs are tippier is because they are longer and the back end whips out more in hard turns not to mention a bit more top heavy and if you over judge the fishtail it results in a rollover. In a jeep you dont have the chance of a fishtail..You go completely sideways and if you hit a rough spot it's over. I have seen it happen somewhat. My boy did it in his jeep it was raining a tiny bit and he accelerated a little bit up to 45 and before you know it hes completely sideways on a main road. He pulled out of this because he did not overjudge it as most teens would (trying to imitate video games).

3 people in my area were seriously injured due to rollovers and the fact that the jeep was so touchy they couldnt handle it. 1 rollover and the other two went sideways, one into a tree and the other into a telephone pole. They were all 16-17 years old
__________________
SUPPORT THE TROOPS

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
Cross
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: El Jebel, CO
Posts: 680
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...244?source=rss


The smart car is a very sturdy vehicle the problem is it does not have the mass to absorb the impact. Sure the drivers area will stay intact but the forces exerted on the passengers is the problem. What good is an eggshell that does not crack/shatter if the contents still become scrambled?
__________________
Sierra Club, helping to confine humans within city limits one acre at a time.
Cross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #15
Jordon83
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Owensboro Kentucky
Posts: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post
The smart car is a very sturdy vehicle the problem is it does not have the mass to absorb the impact. Sure the drivers area will stay intact but the forces exerted on the passengers is the problem. What good is an eggshell that does not crack/shatter if the contents still become scrambled?
Yeah I understand that, airbag and seatbelts can only do so much. We seem to get asked "What happens if a semi hits you?" a lot. Which is a stupid question, which gets the reply "I die!". Just drives me crazy that people assume small=instant death in any accident and Jeep=rollover around any turn. Had someone ask this weekend if we had a death wish because we keep buying unsafe vehicles.
Jordon83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.