Jeep Names - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Jeep Names

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #46
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I see you miss my point so completely as to go off on another plane and seemingly take offense. My objection is in elevating mere mechanical objects to a human level.

I suggest in return you look up "gender" and see what the definition is. And I'm talking about English, not foreign languages where all nouns have gender. This is different than loving referring to your vehicle as "my darling Penelope, she acts up today. I may have to stroke her lovingly whilst I ignore my family"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGerbil View Post
1: It is my understanding that most languages assign gender to most nouns. That means in many languages the term 'car' is feminine or masculine.

2: Throughout the history of sailing men braver, and stronger than myself have referred to their vessels by name and gender.

Given those two examples, perhaps you'll come to see that gender and name assignment to objects is actually the norm and not oddball.
At the very least you could expand your understanding of gender beyond "has balls" and "doesn't have balls".

JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #47
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
I see you miss my point so completely as to go off on another plane and seemingly take offense. My objection is in elevating mere mechanical objects to a human level.
It would have been helpful to be more specific in your original post.
You originally said:

Quote:
I actually find it disturbing that there are so many grown (supposedly) men that assign a name/gender to an inanimate mechanical object.
I didn't pick up anything in there about elevating items to a human level.
I only picked up on the name/gender assignment.

It's okay by me if you find the practice of naming objects, or assigning gender to objects, to be immature. I even asked my Jeep 'Po' about it and he didn't seem upset in the least - he beeped twice and indicated that he'd like to take a drive in the country this weekend.

He's rowdy that way.
MadGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #48
WNUNEZJR
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dasiy mother ****ing duke hobo named her or just the heep
WNUNEZJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #49
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNUNEZJR View Post
Dasiy mother ****ing duke hobo named her or just the heep
Thats the best name yet.
Newtons3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #50
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Your point wasnt missed nor was it taken offensively. We just disagree. My contention is that my mere Jeep is worthy of a name if for no other reason than to distinguish it as mine and elevate it above the sheeple with whom I normally have to interact. Some of those have yet to achieve human level on the evolutionary chart.
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #51
tpeters1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2004 Rubicon wife named it "Bella"
tpeters1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #52
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtons3 View Post
Your point wasnt missed nor was it taken offensively. We just disagree. My contention is that my mere Jeep is worthy of a name if for no other reason than to distinguish it as mine and elevate it above the sheeple with whom I normally have to interact. Some of those have yet to achieve human level on the evolutionary chart.
*jumps up and down on the tree limb while screeching*
*throws a banana at JeffBowser*
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #53
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

In a nutshell: in a society where common courtesy and selfless attitudes are rapidly vanishing, naming and venerating inanimate objects above people is just furthering the decline, and I take a small degree of joy in pointing out misanthropic attitudes where I see them (here I am talking in general, not at you specifically)

Quote:
JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #54
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

In a nutshell: in a society where common courtesy and selfless attitudes are rapidly vanishing, naming and venerating inanimate objects above people is just furthering the decline, and I take a small degree of joy in pointing out misanthropic attitudes where I see them (here I am talking in general, not at you specifically)
I agree that materialism is a real problem.
That said, you hurt my Jeep's feelings and I demand an apology.
Unread 08-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #55
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I agree. So, in a society so filled with selfish, hateful, egotistical people hell-bent on crushing liberty, dreams and ideas and promoting conformity and submission, me and Big Bird exist to negate entire lives of Prius and Leaf drivers. Shes reliably comfortable and soothing. My favorite therapist, better than any psychologist. My partner in crime. She more than deserves a name.
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #56
WNUNEZJR
1994 YJ Wrangler 

*******[/PHP]
Quote:
Thats the best name yet.
1st time out wheelen 2am stuck in a DEEPP mud hole. I guess he was sleepen back there and we woke him up. he asked me if i had named her yet. i said i was thinking about stuck. he said nope dasiy mother ****ing duke. gave him 20 bucks and a ride to the liquor store when a buddy came and pulled me out he was a nice guy
WNUNEZJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #57
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

....and a cool story to go with the name! Your Jeep has been dubbed.
Unread 08-10-2013, 05:19 AM   #58
Captainak
1982 CJ7 

Airmed ~In Irish mythology, the goddess Airmed was one who healed those injured in the Second Battle of Magh Tuiredh.
My jeep was built as personal healing tool and to honor those KIA with 2-162 infantry in 2004 rotation.
image-1602624469.jpg

Captainak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #59
PMSteve
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I proudly call my TJ... "The Jeep". Nothing more need be said.
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #60
Sudcalifornio
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i dont see a problem naming our jeeps. people who prefer bothering other fellow jeepers instead of going out and wheeling with their buddies (in case they have) are just a waste of time.
Sudcalifornio is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.